Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · New MagMod

joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New MagMod

I know most of you will see this anyway, but just in case...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spencerboerup/magbeam-fresnel-lens-flash-extender-gobos-by-magmo

Mar 01, 2016 at 10:40 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New MagMod

wow

Mar 01, 2016 at 11:19 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New MagMod

I...I don't get it.

What's the difference between this and the grid?

Mar 01, 2016 at 11:22 AM
benee
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New MagMod

ZachOly wrote:
I...I don't get it.

What's the difference between this and the grid?

Seems like it can replace the grid, plus do a WHOLE lot more. (Increases flash output, gobos, varying degrees of zoom to light.)

Edit to add: Just got clarification from Spencer - the MagGrid does have a softer falloff then the Beam, and is smaller/more portable. The Magbeam is going to give a much harder edge than the MagGrid would.

Mar 01, 2016 at 11:30 AM
a2rob
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New MagMod

Looks like Spencer surpassed his pledged goal!!

Mar 01, 2016 at 12:09 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New MagMod

Been using the beam (without the masks) for about 6 months now. It basically adds 3 stops of flash power which is awesome on a sunny day. If trying to decipher the difference between Beam and Grid, I'd say that the beam is best for outdoor, bright conditions. The grid is better for dimmer conditions.

I rarely shoot portraits with speedlights these days, but if I was going to, the beam is an excellent tool.

Mar 01, 2016 at 12:17 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New MagMod

Tony Hoffer wrote:
Been using the beam (without the masks) for about 6 months now. It basically adds 3 stops of flash power which is awesome on a sunny day. If trying to decipher the difference between Beam and Grid, I'd say that the beam is best for outdoor, bright conditions. The grid is better for dimmer conditions.

I rarely shoot portraits with speedlights these days, but if I was going to, the beam is an excellent tool.

Really? I thought you were all about shooting with speedlights. What are you using these days?

Mar 01, 2016 at 02:08 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New MagMod

TTLKurtis wrote:
Really? I thought you were all about shooting with speedlights. What are you using these days?

Profoto B1s. Use speedlights and Magmods for receptions and in a pinch, but I prefer B1s whenever we can.

Mar 01, 2016 at 02:23 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New MagMod

The Grids still have a much wider range of usefulness.

I still wish they would make two more grids, one with a wider angle of view and one narrower than the current model.

Mar 01, 2016 at 03:11 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New MagMod

Tony — off the Cheetahs?

Mar 01, 2016 at 03:19 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New MagMod

LeeSimms wrote:
Tony — off the Cheetahs?

That's what I use when I need speedlights. I just don't use speedlights for portraits very often.

Mar 01, 2016 at 03:20 PM
g-money
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New MagMod

Hmm, if this is 3 stops brighter and is a beam. That might work really nice shooting into a beauty dish. I know I have read some people have some light spill from a speedlight in a beauty dish due to the shape of the light leaving the flash head. Not sure if true,but have a dish coming so will soon find out.

Mar 01, 2016 at 03:48 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New MagMod

Tony - your dog followed me on Instagram. Any chance you could get him to sign a t-shirt for me? Thanks bru.

Mar 01, 2016 at 03:53 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New MagMod

jeremy_clay wrote:
Tony - your dog followed me on Instagram. Any chance you could get him to sign a t-shirt for me? Thanks bru.

Only if it's extra small so there's a chance that I see some nipple.

Mar 01, 2016 at 04:14 PM
S-Man23
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New MagMod

MRomine wrote:
The Grids still have a much wider range of usefulness.

I still wish they would make two more grids, one with a wider angle of view and one narrower than the current model.

A wider grid would have to be made, but I think for tighter grids they intend for you to stack multiple grids on top of each other to narrow the beam. I've been using Opteka Universal Honeycomb grids of different degrees from Amazon. They're cheap, light and effective. I do have a magmod too and it's good too.

Mar 01, 2016 at 06:23 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New MagMod

Tony Hoffer wrote:
Profoto B1s. Use speedlights and Magmods for receptions and in a pinch, but I prefer B1s whenever we can.

So I'm assuming you're hauling around a big c-stand or something to put that one as well. Are you just using it without a modifier, or what? I've had the B1s and ended up selling them because they're just so damn top-heavy on a stand with a modifier.

It's this internal struggle for me... finding interesting light where I can, or just making it wherever I want it... but I'm really picky when it comes to lighting so then I end up not moving around nearly as much and just isn't much fun for the subject when I'm shooting with lights compared to natural... But the light's obviously potentially much nicer when you're making it yourself...

Mar 01, 2016 at 08:50 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New MagMod

S-Man23 wrote:
A wider grid would have to be made, but I think for tighter grids they intend for you to stack multiple grids on top of each other to narrow the beam.

When you stack you loose more light power it would be better if they made one with a smaller honeycomb. I'm actually more interested in a wider one than a narrow one.

Mar 01, 2016 at 11:07 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New MagMod

benee wrote:
Seems like it can replace the grid, plus do a WHOLE lot more. (Increases flash output, gobos, varying degrees of zoom to light.)

Edit to add: Just got clarification from Spencer - the MagGrid does have a softer falloff then the Beam, and is smaller/more portable. The Magbeam is going to give a much harder edge than the MagGrid would.

Another difference is the quality of flare. Because the light is now collimated, its not going to produce the 'star' flare you see in reception photos. And when comparing the MagBeam to the MagGrid, the former increases total light output, where the latter reduces output. The spread is about 3 stops. Thats shooting reception photos at 1/8 power now at 1/64 power. Or, you go from 10 feet from dance floor to 60 feet (which is rather large, but, using the inverse square law to your advantage, you get more even coverage across the area). It opens up a lot of new possibilities for receptions and dance floor lighting!

Mar 01, 2016 at 11:09 PM
pokemanyz
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New MagMod

Tag for reference

Mar 05, 2016 at 09:19 AM
Elijah
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New MagMod

TTLKurtis wrote:
So I'm assuming you're hauling around a big c-stand or something to put that one as well. Are you just using it without a modifier, or what? I've had the B1s and ended up selling them because they're just so damn top-heavy on a stand with a modifier.

It's this internal struggle for me... finding interesting light where I can, or just making it wherever I want it... but I'm really picky when it comes to lighting so then I end up not moving around nearly as much and just isn't much fun for the subject when I'm shooting with
...Show more

A Profoto B1 is the best investment I've made for weddings, ever. Heavy? Who cares. Hire an assistant.

My wife will kill me if I buy another one but I really really want one more B1...
That'll complete my kit. I rarely touch my SB-900's now. Might sell to fund for another B1...

The B1 completely replaced my OOF for EVERY aplication I used it for. Even at night, sometimes it's too powerful? Stack a few of these diffusion socks and you've got yourself a lower powered flash than any speedlight, to somewhat match an ambient light at night...

Mar 08, 2016 at 10:23 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.