New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Looking for a fair value on some very old lenses

campy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for a fair value on some very old lenses

I have a friend who's grandfather was a photographer and has many old lenses and cameras and asked me if I could find out what they might be worth. I am having trouble finding prices and even any information on these particular lenses. I have found similar lenses but prices seem to be all over the place.

This lens seems to be missing the aperture blades

I think this has value but don't know how much

No markings, but I think a projector lens.

Mar 01, 2016 at 03:53 AM
campy
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for a fair value on some very old lenses

By the way they go with this camera and trying to find a value on this also.

Mar 01, 2016 at 03:55 AM
justruss
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for a fair value on some very old lenses

I imagine this might be tough.

Disclosure: I have no idea about these lenses or that particular camera.

But they might be items that are of zero value to most, and high value to a few. Hence prices are all over the place: if you find the right buyer at just the right time, you can end up near the higher range. Most of the time you'll get low value for it.

Mar 01, 2016 at 06:22 AM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for a fair value on some very old lenses

I'm sure you'll get decent advice here too but have a chat with the folks here ( http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/ ) as they are all over this stuff.

This stuff will sell for what it's worth if you list it on Ebay but only if it's accurately described and pictured, otherwise it won't attract the right buyers, so get as much info as you can before offering for sale.

Mar 01, 2016 at 07:25 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for a fair value on some very old lenses

I suggest you try to find a local pre-millenial photography instructor or curator. You should have some good resources in Bean Town. The Bosch & Lomb and Voigtlander tags on the lenses show they are true classics, but their cosmetic condition is less than Mint (esp. the V), which typically lowers their value quite a lot.

Have you been here? http://www.antiquecameras.net/

Mar 01, 2016 at 07:30 AM
stribe

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for a fair value on some very old lenses

Largeformatphotographyforum don't allow valuations on their site due to misuse! But you can show off your lenses and studio stand/Century camera there and get comments. You will have to register. After a month you could list the items there without ebay fees in the For sale section, which is hidden the first month.

About the items:

The B&L lens is a pictorial lens produced for a short time in the first decade of the 20th C. It had celluloid iris leaves, which is why yours and most other of these have non-functioning irises to-day! Believe it not, I finished making new bronze for a larger version of this lens to-day! It is not common.

The Voigtlander is a so-called pre Euryskop model - made before Voigtlande started engrving the name on the barrel. It is probably a series IV Euryskop size 5. Check ebay "sold items" to find out what value they reach.

Mar 01, 2016 at 11:27 AM
roger lund
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for a fair value on some very old lenses

try over at http://forum.mflenses.com/ or http://www.apug.org/forum/home

Mar 01, 2016 at 09:25 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for a fair value on some very old lenses

First lens is a 300mm f4 Petzval, by Bausch & Lomb-an American maker. It covers 5x7 but not 8x10. IF the glass is good & the iris turns & there is no fungus, I"d guess the value to be ~$500. Not sure what the second slider is (1,2,3,4) but it could be a soft focus mechanism. If that's the case, lens could be worth ~$800.

Second lens is a Voigtlander rectilinear, c1880. There should be a number on it to indicate size/coverage. Depending on what that is, I'd say ~$400 as a guess. Again, assuming no fungus, bad scratches, balsam separation etc.

Third lens is a projector lens. These generally sell for <$200 if unmarked.

Camera appears to be a Century camera, might be worth ~$1,000 with the stand. The thing that will best determine value is condition of the bellows (i.e light tight) and the dimensions of the ground glass. This camera would have had several different sizes of ground glass with it. This appears to be a smaller one, 4x5 maybe. That's a negative if so.

The wild card may be the lens on the studio camera. It might be worth more than all the other stuff combined, depending on what it is and what it covers.

The camera on the floor appears to be a half plate tailboard. The lens looks interesting. It's probably from the 1890s. If all in good shape might bring $500.

Kent in SD

Mar 01, 2016 at 11:14 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for a fair value on some very old lenses

I think this Bausch & Lomb has this extra slider for soft focus. Some largeformat photographers love this type of variable soft lenses - and pay quite much.
I ncase you sell this lenses, please send me a notification with link, I can post it in a group of special lens lovers.

Mar 02, 2016 at 12:36 AM
stribe

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking for a fair value on some very old lenses

The second slider is for soft adjustment. Whether it is a genuine soft lens is a mute point, as it just moves the whole rear lens section backwards and forwards. In a Petzval design, it is the distance between the two lenses in the rear section which is traditional the means of introducing softness. As it is without the 21 iris blades, this will require professional (and very expensive) help! The valuation should be less than $800.

I think the lens mounted on the Century is the Voigtlander which has been photographed separately. I would value this series IV size 5 somewhat higher.
However, the Century camera and Stand do not reach the figure suggested, unless the lens is included. Transport is the big factor which pushes the price down.

Mar 02, 2016 at 03:18 AM
campy
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking for a fair value on some very old lenses

The lens with the two sliders is soft focus but the aperture blades are missing.

Mar 02, 2016 at 03:19 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking for a fair value on some very old lenses

I have nothing constructive to add, other than it's cool seeing that old stuff. Also, after seeing that massive rig on a stand, I had to go and hug my X100S.

Mar 02, 2016 at 05:38 PM
Alice1

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking for a fair value on some very old lenses

jcolwell wrote:
I suggest you try to find a local pre-millenial photography instructor or curator. You should have some good resources in Bean Town. The Bosch & Lomb and Voigtlander tags on the lenses show they are true classics, but their cosmetic condition is less than Mint (esp. the V), which typically lowers their value quite a lot.

Have you been here? http://www.antiquecameras.net/

thanks i was looking for this and i just see your post was helpful

Dec 11, 2017 at 09:39 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.