Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Thoughts on DxO? For Sony with Alt lenses??

Luvwine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thoughts on DxO? For Sony with Alt lenses??

I was recently shown DxO and have been playing with the program via its free trial for 30 days. In some ways, it seems like it may produce better results for some images than ACR though my judgment in this regard is quite preliminary. At any rate, it uses lens profiles that it downloads to make corrections for distortion and the like via its database. So far, so good. However, I use a number of lenses that are not Sony lenses on my A7r2 and I don't see any way to select just the lens or the lens and body combination. Does this make DxO a poor choice/nonstarter for my situation? Any thoughts/suggestions from those more familar with the program? The lenses I use do include some Sony/Zeiss lenses (FE 35/2.8, 25/2 batis, 55/1.8) but also includes a number of Leica R and M lenses and one CV lens by adapter.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Mar 01, 2016 at 01:24 AM
philber
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thoughts on DxO? For Sony with Alt lenses??

If you are looking for software to process your Sony images, you could try Capture One. If for no other reason that Sony and Capture One have a cooperation agreement, which means Sony approves of how C1 treats Sony files. In my humble opinion, much better than Adobe. Though, to be honest, I changed over from LR5, and I don't know if matters have progressed since.

Mar 01, 2016 at 01:53 AM
Luvwine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thoughts on DxO? For Sony with Alt lenses??

Thanks for the response Philber. I do have Capture One but have not spent enough time with it. In my limited experience, I did not notice much if any improvement over ACR, but that may be becuase I did not get over the learning curve. It does seem to have very robust color management, however.

DxO seems quite powerful and efficient and easy to use. However, the way they implement body and lens combinations (rather than just lens corrections as ACR does), makes the selection of lenses fairly limited for Sony where Alt lenses are commonly used. The corrections also seem to be automatic, which is good for efficiency, but problematic if the program is making corrections based upon incorrect assumptions as to which lens is being used (based upon metadata, that won't contain alt lens information).

Perhaps my above comments are incorrect and perhaps there is a way to disable the lens/body corrections (probably not a bad thing especially for landscape). I do have some normal lens/body combinations, but use more alt lenses than Sony lenses at present.

Any other thoughts?

Mar 01, 2016 at 10:55 AM
melcat
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thoughts on DxO? For Sony with Alt lenses??

Luvwine wrote:
...perhaps there is a way to disable the lens/body corrections (probably not a bad thing especially for landscape).

Yes, there is. I am currently testing the program and ran into this problem when it misidentified my Zeiss ZE 100mm f/2 Makro Planar as a Canon 100mm f/2.

Go into the "Customize" mode for one of the images to which it is applying the wrong profile. You will see in the EXIF panel what it thinks the lens is. There is a menu item (I think under Preferences; I don't have my postprocessing machine handy) to "modify" the list of downloaded modules. Simply uncheck the offending lens from the list, and you will see the EXIF panel and the image preview update to reflect that. At the same time, sliders for manual vignetting adjustment and USM sharpening (including edge masking) become available in the edit window.

Now make sure in Preferences that it does not ask to download lens modules at startup. Alternatively, when you next start the program, clear the checkbox enabling that when it asks to do the downloads. If it does encounter another lens for which it has no profile, it puts up a little green icon in the filmstrip thumbnail for that image, which you can click to do the download.

I'm very impressed by DxO, but it has a big flaw: it clips all colours to the Adobe RGB 1998 gamut, no matter what output profile you specify. When the entire image is within gamut, I have found its colours to be accurate.

Mar 01, 2016 at 02:48 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.