Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Bird migration Hotspots in central of western US?

Photo Scout
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bird migration Hotspots in central of western US?

Hi folks, I might be taking a trip to the West, or South West US this March passing through the central US from Michigan. States I might visit are Colorado, likely, New Mexico, maybe Utah or Arizona, and of course the plains states I would be passing through to get there. I'm wondering about what bird migration hot-spots I might be able to reach on such a trip if there any good ones you know about. I would be interested in other particularly good wildlife viewing areas of interest you would recommend too.

Thanks!

Feb 28, 2016 at 07:07 PM
suman
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bird migration Hotspots in central of western US?

Stop by Grand Island or North Platt in Nebraska for sandhill crane migration season. Quite a spectacle. In Grand Island, Audubon society has some tours for photographers. Check with them for current season. It cab brutal cold during this time of the year even though you will be approaching spring.

Feb 28, 2016 at 07:54 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bird migration Hotspots in central of western US?

Bosque Del Apache in NM is one of the most popular birding spots, particularly sand hill cranes and snow geese. Not sure of best time, but Google knows.

Mar 01, 2016 at 08:43 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bird migration Hotspots in central of western US?

A comprehensive source of information on National Wildlife Refuges is:
http://www.fws.gov/refuges/refugeLocatormaps/index.html

Keith W.

Mar 02, 2016 at 12:49 AM
Photo Scout
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bird migration Hotspots in central of western US?

Hi folks, thanks for your comments. Looks like the time will be right for migration!

Mar 02, 2016 at 10:03 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bird migration Hotspots in central of western US?

Tucson area is one of the best in the country but you will need to verify which species can be found at the time of year for your travels.

Mar 17, 2016 at 05:33 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bird migration Hotspots in central of western US?

elkhornsun wrote:
Tucson area is one of the best in the country but you will need to verify which species can be found at the time of year for your travels.

That is important advice when heading to new areas. What you may be used to in one area may be quite different in another. I frequently photograph migratory and other birds in various locations in California where I can now predict reasonably well the times and places that I'll find various kinds of birds. I recently made a trip to another nearby state where there is an area known for huge bird populations. I arrived to find virtually none of the particular species I was looking for, a bird very common in my more local area right now. Someone in this new location explained the different timing.

Lucky for me, my ignorance paid of in another way. A completely different species that I have been interested in but not often able to photograph was there in abundance!

Dan

http://gallery.gdanmitchell.com/gallery/var/resizes/NaturalWorld/Nature/Wildlife/Birds/TundraSwanFlockInFlightKlamath20160212.jpg

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:40 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.