Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · What's the best lighting for desserts?

a1rv1n

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What's the best lighting for desserts?

Hi! I'm new to photography and I would like everyone's recommendation on what lighting I should get. I have a Canon Rebel T2i with an EFS 55-250 mm lens and an EFS 18-55 mm lens. What I will be taking photographs of are desserts like cakes, cupcakes, cake pops, cookies, and other desserts. I've been searching for what the best lighting is for what I will be taking pictures of and it seems like getting a pair of soft boxes is a great option with a white backdrop. One thing I'm mainly concerned about is if the heat from the light source will be too hot that it'll melt away the cake and other details such as fondant. I would greatly appreciate it if I can get someone's opinion on what I should get. Thanks for your time and I can't wait to see your response.

Feb 28, 2016 at 08:19 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What's the best lighting for desserts?

I'm not a food photographer, but I think that your question largely depends on the look and level of "professionalism" you are striving for. Commercial food photography is a very intricate and detailed discipline, with techniques and lighting strategies that are probably beyond most people's awareness. At the other end of the spectrum is the easiest way to accomplish attractive food photos, which is to place the food in a natural light setting (e.g. near a window), and use a reflector or a small-ish light to open up the shadows on the shadow side. Between those two opposites are any number of strategies, from purchasing (or building a DIY) light tent illuminated by two or three speed lights, to surrounding your products with large constant lights (i.e. fluorescents such as Spiderlites). If I were you, I'd look for some tutorials on food photography from sources such as KelbyOne, and decide what kind of photos you want to make. There, Scott Kelby shows how to do simple food photos while traveling (see the Paris video), or you can go to the other extreme and watch a master class with Steve Hansen.

Feb 28, 2016 at 11:02 AM
dmward
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What's the best lighting for desserts?

What Steve said.
I've seen outstanding food photographs that were shot in open shade with a reflector or near a window with a reflector.

If shooting with natural light means a tripod in most cases to ensure no camera movement.

In a studio, I've used as many at 7 lights and reflectors to get things the way I want. Hot light may cause problems with the food if its heat sensitive. Strobes have an advantage but without modeling lights it takes longer to set them up properly.

Given your camera and lenses I expect that you're going to be using these images for the web or other lower res requirements.

The best advise is to find some tutorials and to look for food photography examples similar to what you want to accomplish and reverse engineer the lighting.

Feb 28, 2016 at 03:09 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What's the best lighting for desserts?

You almost always want good contrast in the food, so you'll likely want at least one bare speedlight or other small light source to skim across the surface of the desert to make it pop. Other than that most anything goes.

Feb 28, 2016 at 03:37 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What's the best lighting for desserts?

Food typically looks best when the key light is window or looks like it's coming from a window light. It also looks nice when it's more high key as well. So, back left, back right etc. This can be achieved via an actual window, or softbox. If the food can handle more contrast it could be from a beauty dish or hard reflector. Then you can fill the front with another head or reflector. Here are a fee of my examples with a beauty dish or softbox behind.

Feb 28, 2016 at 07:29 PM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What's the best lighting for desserts?

There is no one right answer to your question. I specialize in food images and would suggest that you pick up a few magazines like Food and Wine, Bon Appetit or any of Martha Stewart's publications. Look at how the food is presented, styled and the different lighting techniques and then develop your own style. I light a number of ways using natural light and strobe with a few different modifiers. There are a hundred ways to shoot the same subject, how you shoot it can distinguish you from the others.

Feb 28, 2016 at 09:21 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What's the best lighting for desserts?

It sounds like your choosing hot lamps versus using strobes or flashes.

I would think that would create bigger issues for you...versus a couple of camera strobes of either off camera flash or
some type of alien bee strobes with the extra external battery.

You didn't state if your shooting on location...or at home.
If at location....flashes or strobes might be best...as you may not get window lighting...you may only get a
table in the back corner
If your on location....a couple of off camera flashes with a great assortment of means of mounting them "anywhere" clamps
will be your best solution....along with some diffuser material, gels, and a tall tripod with a boom arm, remote trigger
and maybe even a 90 degree eye piece so that your not perched above camera and fearing you fall "into" your food

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:59 PM
a1rv1n

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What's the best lighting for desserts?

Hi, I'm sorry I failed to mention that I will be taking pictures at home and I don't have enough lighting coming from any windows because of other buildings and obstacles. Most of the cakes I will be taking photographs of are tall like wedding cakes. I have been leaning towards getting strobe lighting I just wanted more input before I purchase any equipment. Thank you everyone for the replies.

Feb 29, 2016 at 01:22 AM
dmward
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What's the best lighting for desserts?

If its big like a wedding cake, then think about getting a large softbox, at least 2 times the size of the wedding cake and getting it close to the cake. Or, if you have to be a bit farther away then three times the size.

As illustrated place it at least 90* off camera, more like 120, then use another large source or a reflector for fill.

That's a reasonable place to start. Then work out the details.

And, with the large softbox, make sure the front diffusion panel is evenly lit. Which will be hard with a speedlite.

Better to use a bare bulb strobe with a deflector between the bulb and the front panel ala beauty dish.

Mar 01, 2016 at 01:59 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What's the best lighting for desserts?

Look carefully at Gregg's examples above. There are so many important aspects of good food photography illustrated in these photos.

Gregg, is there any discipline in which you don't excel?? Hope all is well.

Mar 01, 2016 at 03:12 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What's the best lighting for desserts?

Thank you Steve but I have a lot to learn myself. I can tell you that good food styling and props are just as important as the lighting.

To the OP. If you don't have any window light then start with a large softbox and a reflector or a large diffusion panel like a Lastolite Skylite to diffuse your light.

Mar 03, 2016 at 07:20 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What's the best lighting for desserts?

Gregg is too modest. Besides lighting and styling, he really nails the color palette for edibility. I once made a hamburger look like Play-Doh...and that was on a good day.

Mar 03, 2016 at 08:01 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What's the best lighting for desserts?

Thank you Rico, cheers!

Mar 03, 2016 at 09:16 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.