Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Editing TIFF in Lightroom - different results?

memoria
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Editing TIFF in Lightroom - different results?

I've always been editing my work in RAW but just out of curiosity I imported some TIFF files and started to edit according to my regular workflow.

I immediately noticed a difference in the tonal response. I need to be more careful. The sliders are more dramatic or "efficient" if you will (depending on you're planning to do of course). In a way it is easier to get a punchy vibrant and contrasty result but it is also easier to go too far.

What is that? Is it linear vs nonlinear gamma thing? Colorspace?

Feb 27, 2016 at 03:16 AM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Editing TIFF in Lightroom - different results?

Yes, Raw files are in a linear space and TiFFs are in a Gamma space and have a colorspace tagged to the file.

Feb 27, 2016 at 05:21 AM
memoria
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Editing TIFF in Lightroom - different results?

Jeff Donald wrote:
Yes, Raw files are in a linear space and TiFFs are in a Gamma space and have a colorspace tagged to the file.

Thanks Jeff. So that would explain why they respond differently in Lightroom in terms of color and contrast when pushing sliders?

Feb 27, 2016 at 08:21 AM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Editing TIFF in Lightroom - different results?

There is currently a good debate about this on a LuLa forum:
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=108423.0

Feb 27, 2016 at 12:48 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Editing TIFF in Lightroom - different results?

memoria wrote:
I've always been editing my work in RAW but just out of curiosity I imported some TIFF files and started to edit according to my regular workflow.

I immediately noticed a difference in the tonal response. I need to be more careful. The sliders are more dramatic or "efficient" if you will (depending on you're planning to do of course). In a way it is easier to get a punchy vibrant and contrasty result but it is also easier to go too far.

What is that? Is it linear vs nonlinear gamma thing? Colorspace?

It should be easy enough to test to see if it is the tone curve/gamma. If you have Photoshop, you can create a custom color space profile with ProPhotoRGB primary coordinates and a gamma of 1.0. Then convert the TIFF to the new profile, save it and compare editing in Lr

Open the image in Ps. Edit > Convert to Profile > then select ProPhotoRGB as the RGB Destination Space. Then using the same RGB Destination Space menu scroll right to the top and select Custom RGB… and in the Custom dialog change the gamma to 1.0 and rename it LightroomRGB. Save and exit back to Lr.

Brian A

Feb 27, 2016 at 11:22 PM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Editing TIFF in Lightroom - different results?

Hugowolf,

I tried your test. It's a new trick for me, so maybe I did it wrong. But I saved an image is ProPhoto with gammas of 1.0, 1.8, and 2.2. All those images look identical inside Photoshop.

I reprocessed each tif with ACR, giving identical negative Exposure adjustments. All 3 look identical to each other, and all are slightly different than the original raw given the same neg exposure.

Did you try it? Does your test show differences between prophoto tif images saved with different gammas?

Feb 28, 2016 at 01:24 AM
memoria
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Editing TIFF in Lightroom - different results?

Thanks,

I tried this as well. Unedited RAW in lightroom -> export to PS -> Convert to Gamma 1 -> back to Lightroom.

Then edited both files (with identical staring point). The differences are more subtle now, but they are there. Actually it's the other way around now. The RAW file end result is a tad more "edited" than the TIFF using the exact same settings. So the gamma plays a role here, for sure

Feb 28, 2016 at 02:29 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.