New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Elinchrom modeling light bulb shape

Entity
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Elinchrom modeling light bulb shape

Hi folks!

Was thinking about this bulb shape, its pluses and minuses.. I'm used to the straight "tube" bulb that I have on my Style/RX models, while on my BRX models I have the classical tungsten bulb shape. I'm getting some stronger bulbs (150W) and can't decide with which shape should I go..
On one way the tungsten shape does block a bit of the central light, to eliminate the central hot spot, but on the other hand, I'm not really sure it's needed.

Well, if anyone has any thoughts on this, please share..

TIA,
Mat

Feb 27, 2016 at 01:28 AM
cgi_photo

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Elinchrom modeling light bulb shape

the BRX models have different voltage than the Style RX models, don't they? - please check that...

I'd go for the ones Elinchrom uses - voltage and power... shape? I've never thought about that, sorry :-)

bw
christian

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:34 AM
Entity
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Elinchrom modeling light bulb shape

No, I'm quite certain it's the same thing, E27 mount, 90-260V, Style RX has 250W max, BRX has 150W max, it's just the shape is different. Old models had straight tube shape, BRX have the pear shape.
I've read somewhere that pear shape is used to cut/block a bit of straigh light of the flash bulb, to minimize hot stop. Perhaps when used as bare bulb flash there is a difference, but with any modifier I'm not sure there is.

I know it's not that important, I'm just stocking up, so I figured I'd ask if anyone has any thoughts on this..

Mar 01, 2016 at 01:11 PM
cgi_photo

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Elinchrom modeling light bulb shape

the voltage of the flashes are the same - but I mean the voltage of the bulbs

in the brochure of the BRX it is written that the modelling lamp is 196v
--
Modelling lamp 230 V E27 100 W / 196 V (effective 150 W)
--

and I, if I remember it right, have read it on the bulb too. Elinchrom uses a spezial technic for this lamp and cuts off part of the 240v sinus wave - an average of 195V +/- remains.

I don't own a BRX, just Style RXs and they a simpler built if it comes down to modelling lamps.

again, I'd go for the original specs for bulbs, voltage and power. my2cents :-) I would not care about the shape of the bulb

but maybe I misunderstood something...

Edited on Mar 03, 2016 at 03:33 AM · View previous versions

Mar 02, 2016 at 03:37 AM
Entity
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Elinchrom modeling light bulb shape

Hmm, interesting.. Have to admit, I was always looking at Watts only. 250W for StyleRX, 150W for BRX. And I've seen strange bulbs in other people Elinchromes. From regular household bulb to modern LED bulbs. All of them worked.. more or less

Mar 02, 2016 at 12:59 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.