New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · IBIS settings with manual focus zoom

bbvaj
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · IBIS settings with manual focus zoom

Do you change it continuously for every shot? If that is not practical, did anyone explore what is the best approach? On first thought I felt leaving it on the wide focal length shouldn't hurt, it just gives sub optimal compensation when using tele portion of zoom, whereas leaving it on tele focal length can overcompensate and create blur when using the wide end...

Any thoughts?

Feb 26, 2016 at 07:51 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · IBIS settings with manual focus zoom

For my FD 28-85/4, if I feel I need it, I just set it for 50mm and keep the zoom in the 35-70mm range. That works out fairly well. For my 80-200, I'll set it for 180 and try to keep the zoom between 150 and 200, which also works out well. But it's rare that I actually leave it on with the zooms. I only use them for family days out and about, and SteadyShot isn't necessary most of the time.

Feb 26, 2016 at 08:00 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · IBIS settings with manual focus zoom

I change it for every shot.

Feb 26, 2016 at 08:20 PM
bbvaj
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · IBIS settings with manual focus zoom

Thanks for the responses

Feb 27, 2016 at 05:38 AM
darrellc
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · IBIS settings with manual focus zoom

I just bought a Minolta MD 35-70 Macro for use on an A7RII and had this same question.

My inclination would be the same as the OP - to set to the minimum focal length (35mm), as I'd imagine IBIS might overcompensate at close distances and shorter focal lengths if I set it to 70mm. But then distance isn't passed to the camera body, so I also wonder what assumptions the A7RII makes about subject distance...

In any case, does anyone have enough technical understanding of IBIS (and most here will have more than me) to proffer insight into where to set it for a manual zoom with the A7RII, and why?

May 07, 2016 at 06:22 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password