Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · First Hockey Shoot

gastch

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First Hockey Shoot

Had my first try at hockey tonight. Being a player I knew it would be fast and was expecting it to be difficult but it was much more difficult than I
thought. Great experience, learned alot and I could do that every night if I could now. WOW found my passion.

1.DSC_0547 by Chris Gaston, on Flickr

2.DSC_0320 by Chris Gaston, on Flickr

4.DSC_0271 by Chris Gaston, on Flickr

5.DSC_0387 by Chris Gaston, on Flickr

6.DSC_0436 by Chris Gaston, on Flickr

Edited on Feb 28, 2016 at 09:52 PM · View previous versions

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:57 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First Hockey Shoot

These look good to me for the most part. Hockey is a very challenging sport to photograph (equal to volleyball IMO) and looks like you got some good stuff. I might try cropping #4 and #6 to focus on the main player and #7 doesn't do much for me. Overall you have some nice solid shots. Maybe the experts can chime in for some additional shot ideas?

Feb 26, 2016 at 12:54 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First Hockey Shoot

I'm not one for telling people if any of their images are up to snuff anymore.. I put so much out for the wire and in use at such low rez, they barely get noticed except when people read the stories between them..

Either way.. The #1 is spot on. Peak of action, I can see eyes (which I always try for) and it's pretty apparent what's about to happen.

#2 is good -- but too late for a user.

#'s 4-5, if cropped could be used for a trading card. But story wise, not so much.

#6 is dead to me.

Your post work is good, although I try and bring down the highlights so the lines of the ice show up better, and increase whites to bring it all back (just MY cuppa tea).

Best of shooting to you..

Feb 29, 2016 at 04:44 AM
gastch

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First Hockey Shoot

Thanks John for the comments. I was hoping you would chime in as I have been following your work on here and flickr.
One question I have for anyone is what do you do for AF points. Do you use single, group, dynamic etc but more to the point do you leave it on center or maybe shift it slightly to the right or left side? There were a couple times my camera (D810) would not fire even though I have it on AF-C release priority. I think it was because I had single point selected as it seemed to go away when I switched to 9pt dynamic.

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:04 AM
3oh6
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First Hockey Shoot

I think these are great for a first time out as well. You've found that spot for #1 that gives a lot of good hockey shots, and John is bang on. It's the best of the bunch. You've cropped well, the action is there, nice work.

Again, I agree with John as I like a tight crop.

I've got no advice on the Nikon front, I'm a Canon shooter. I'm looking forward to the next set.

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:52 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First Hockey Shoot

I've been ill...

I use 11 point center focus on the D3 D3s models and just try and keep the subject in the frame. I have it set to just "release" so, I get a lot of tossers. But again, this set was just stellar sans the cropping.

I hope to see more from you.

Mar 27, 2016 at 04:39 AM
Campredon Film

[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First Hockey Shoot

These are nice!

Apr 05, 2016 at 06:51 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.