New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · I dont get it!

Javier Crespin
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I dont get it!

Ok what I have never been able to understand is how a crop sensor "zooms" in on a subject vs full frame. Can anyone explain this?

Feb 25, 2016 at 08:49 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I dont get it!

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/171905

Feb 25, 2016 at 08:56 PM
Javier Crespin
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I dont get it!

Ah I got it now (?!@#$?@#) no i really do but dang.

Feb 25, 2016 at 09:32 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I dont get it!

I don't either. Mostly the sensors don't move at all, except to shake dust off or stabilize the image. It's not enough to zoom.

EBH

Feb 26, 2016 at 12:30 AM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I dont get it!

one can really get lost in the referenced thread of discussions. 😊

Javier Crespin wrote:

Feb 26, 2016 at 01:00 AM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I dont get it!

Paul Mo wrote:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/171905

Boy, that was a walk down memory lane. An 11 year old thread and a few of the participants are still around here.

Feb 26, 2016 at 04:22 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I dont get it!

Jeff Donald wrote:
Boy, that was a walk down memory lane. An 11 year old thread and a few of the participants are still around here.

Damn, that is a old post. The difference now is that we finally have small pixel FF bodies like the 5DsR. Back then the crop bodies always had the smaller pixels.

EBH

Feb 27, 2016 at 11:18 AM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I dont get it!

The sensor on an APS-C camera is physically smaller, and so a part of the image (that would be captured by a larger sensor) will not be able to be captured by the APS-C sensor. Assuming that both the APS-C sensor and the full frame sensor have the same resolution, the photo will look "zoomed in".

Hopefully in 10 years all of this will be a thing of the past.

Mar 01, 2016 at 03:57 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I dont get it!

mdude85 wrote:
The sensor on an APS-C camera is physically smaller, and so a part of the image (that would be captured by a larger sensor) will not be able to be captured by the APS-C sensor. Assuming that both the APS-C sensor and the full frame sensor have the same resolution, the photo will look "zoomed in".

Hopefully in 10 years all of this will be a thing of the past.

I doubt it. Unfortunately most people are more and more mathematically challenged.

EBH

Mar 01, 2016 at 07:49 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I dont get it!

Javier Crespin wrote:

I had it once but lost it...

Mar 01, 2016 at 08:08 PM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I dont get it!

EB-1 wrote:
I doubt it. Unfortunately most people are more and more mathematically challenged.

EBH

I was referring more to the idea that APS-C sensors would be obsolete.

Mar 01, 2016 at 08:13 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I dont get it!

mdude85 wrote:
I was referring more to the idea that APS-C sensors would be obsolete.

Really? Smaller sensors will always be cheaper, smaller and more popular, unless you expect that the 4/3 or other even smaller format will take over.

EBH

Mar 01, 2016 at 08:21 PM
Tobin28
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I dont get it!

I joined FM a number of years ago when I bought the first digital Rebel. That camera was my friend, companion, tool. It opened up a whole new world to me and I used the kit lens for the first year. After that I started buying Red ring lens, then Full frame came, then I switched to Nikon, then went from zooms to primes, etc. etc. I was my own worst enemy cause I chased the dragon with thinking I needed this and this and that. Now I shoot a 35mm lens for digital and one 35mm lens for film.

If I could go back I wish I could have invested all that gear lust money in plane tickets and shot the APS-C for longer till it died. Workshops, photo books improved my photography, not having a red ring or full frame. I love shooting my 35mm lens as they are intended but I should have stuck with the APS-C for longer. Oh well lolI should stop typing and just go make photographs lol

Cheers,
Tobin

Mar 02, 2016 at 07:19 PM
Javier Crespin
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I dont get it!

The worst part is EF-S lenses are still rated at 35mm even though it will never be used as a FF lens. Ugh!

Mar 04, 2016 at 03:14 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I dont get it!

Javier Crespin wrote:
The worst part is EF-S lenses are still rated at 35mm even though it will never be used as a FF lens. Ugh!

The EF-S lenses are "rated" (i.e. labeled) at their correct focal lengths. Focal length is not a property of sensor size, it's a property of the optical design, regardless of what camera it's used on. The angle of view, or coverage, of the captured image is a property of both focal length and sensor size.

Mar 04, 2016 at 04:44 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I dont get it!

Yep, focal length does not dictate the field of view.

Medium/large format cameras effectively have a negative multiplier (larger FOV than 35mm) but the lenses are still given a correct focal length designation. There is nothing "wrong" with a crop sensor lens being labeled 50mm even if it's FOV looks like 75mm when you mount it.

Focal length equivalents are only given/used because people are very familiar with the 35mm FOV. If you tried to give those 35mm equivalents to someone who only shot larger formats, they wouldn't be helpful.

Mar 13, 2016 at 05:28 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I dont get it!

Javier Crespin wrote:

It's not a rating; it's a mathematical value.

EBH

Mar 13, 2016 at 07:10 PM
Javier Crespin
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I dont get it!

EB-1 wrote:
It's not a rating; it's a mathematical value.

EBH

I got you - my terminology sucks but I still find it a bit misleading even if all the technicals line up.

Mar 13, 2016 at 07:20 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I dont get it!

You know there is one good solution - use only FF/FX bodies and lenses.

EBH

Mar 13, 2016 at 07:23 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I dont get it!

Javier Crespin wrote:
I got you - my terminology sucks but I still find it a bit misleading even if all the technicals line up.

It's not misleading. Maybe your understanding is incomplete, or you think it's not sufficiently convenient. Regardless, it is what it is.

Mar 13, 2016 at 07:36 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.