New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Travel bean bags

EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Travel bean bags

I have a couple of trips over the next two years where a bean bag platform would be quite helpful. Both trips are heavily focused on wildlife, with some scenic photography. One is through the Canadian Rockies (The Kootenays) in a rental car while the other is a safari in Tanzania. I would be shooting with a Canon 7D MarkII, Sigma 120-300 2.8 and at times with a 1.4x or 2x TC.

I was looking at the following bean bags:

http://wildlifeimaging.com/tour-home.htm
http://www.vertexphoto.com/camerabeanbagtv

To be honest, I know very little about photography bean bags, so I could use a little input from people who have used them. As I understand it, I am looking for:

1. Something very light and small when empty so it is easy to pack
2. Won't scratch car surfaces
3. Water resistent
4. Strong design (materials, zipper)
5. Handles for easy carrying when full
6. Actually works when full (stable, easy to use)

Is there any other factors I should consider?

Any particular bean bags you would strongly recommend? I am focused on usability, portability (empty) and quality of product. Given the general price of these items, price is not a main consideration, but I don't feel compelled to go wild (so no gold stitching or diamond inlays!).

Thanks!

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:32 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Travel bean bags

Ridiculous prices for a bean bag.

Just go to Amazon.ca and type in "air neck pillow".

Folds up to nothing, just blow it up when you need it, will slip over the car door, and if it will support the weight of your neck, it will support the weight of your gear.

Feb 25, 2016 at 12:47 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Travel bean bags

In Tanzania I use the smaller Vertex bags for the windows and also the Kinesis SafariSack bags for the roof. I'd take two of each empty and also have a fifth bag as a floater. On a proper photo trip your driver-guides should fill the bags with beans at the start. If you can't do that then consider taking them full of the buckwheat hulls.

EBH

Feb 25, 2016 at 01:33 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Travel bean bags

I do like the looks of the Vertex TV (Travel Version). It seems versatile and a good size. It looks well made. Is it OK on cars or will it damage the paint (if used with the window all the way down).

I am of reasonable height and suspect I would be using it with the window part way up. Does it work well when used in that fashion?

Any other thoughts out there?

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:07 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Travel bean bags

I have used a similar bag. The material itself should not damage the cars paint unless there is grit on the surface or you work at it rubbing the material back and forth. I don't see it as an issue since it remains stationary. With the window up you lose the stability your bag offers.

Feb 26, 2016 at 01:31 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Travel bean bags

My preferred bean bag is the Kinesis SAFARISACK™ 4.2. Apex straps to adjust the shape and a strap with QR to wrap around a roof bar for secure attachment. Very well made, I own two of them.

In Tanzania I used rice, buy a 5kg bag, I used about 4.5kg to get the right fill for rigidity. The locals will take the contents off you when you are ready to fly home.

Feb 26, 2016 at 05:58 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Travel bean bags

EverLearning wrote:
I do like the looks of the Vertex TV (Travel Version). It seems versatile and a good size. It looks well made. Is it OK on cars or will it damage the paint (if used with the window all the way down).

I am of reasonable height and suspect I would be using it with the window part way up. Does it work well when used in that fashion?

Any other thoughts out there?

If the window is partly closed you want to make sure the bag is really full as the window will "cut" into the filled portion. Of course that would be the case with any bag. If the filling is heavy, you do not want to have the window partly closed if the vehicle is in motion as bumps can damage the window mechanism. I've seen that happen a couple of times .

EBH

Feb 26, 2016 at 06:57 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Travel bean bags

I haven't used a Vertex bean bag, but I do have a Vertex Long Lens Bag, and it's an excellent product.

I use a Puffin Pad instead of a bean bag, in most situations where a bean bag might be used. Unfortunately, it's no longer available, but you might find one lightly used somewhere. There's a nice write up on the Puffin Pad at Naturescapes,

https://www.naturescapes.net/articles/reviews/two-camera-lens-support-solutions-for-the-nature-photographer-part-no-2-the-puffin-pad/

http://www.puffinpad.com/using-puffin-pad/

Feb 26, 2016 at 08:54 PM
palmer1076

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Travel bean bags

I have several bean bags but filled them with shelled corn instead of beans. Corn is much cheaper than beans and you can dump it out when finished and feed some critters.

I recommended this to a friend and he thought it was a great idea UNTIL one day when we had been out photographing Snow Geese on a cold winter day. On the way home, he placed his "corn bag" on the floor of the front passenger seat.

About halfway home, I heard him say "Oh my Gosh! Here is a tick (not unusual in Missouri)." Pretty soon, "Here is another." Then another.

Well it wasn't really ticks. The little bugs were corn weevils and placing the bag in the direct heat had warmed them enough that the weevils were rapidly exiting the bag. We pulled off the road and gave the local wildlife some shelled corn.

I, on the other hand, have never had a weevil in my "Corn Bag."

Mar 04, 2016 at 02:04 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.