New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Camera inserts

chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera inserts

I currently use an f-stop ICU as an insert to hold my camera gear when I use my Osprey pack. I'm looking to replace the ICU with something which is not as heavily built...my feeling is the f-stop inserts are over engineered and lighter options must be available.

Tell me about the inserts you use and their pros and cons.

Thanks.

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:11 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera inserts

You are joking right? They are about the lightest and thinist i've seen and used. They are one of the few that realized you don't need an igloo cooler to protect your gear.

a medium slope weighs in at 16oz

a large pro weighs in at 20oz

mountainsmith kit cube traveler 28oz
http://mountainsmith.com/camera/kit-cube-traveler-2014.html

MS kit cube 12oz
http://mountainsmith.com/camera/kit-cube-2014.html

Edited on Feb 24, 2016 at 08:16 AM · View previous versions

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:24 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera inserts

Mountainsmith makes something similar for less. I have one. Not sure it is much lighter though. Any lighter and you'd have no padding.

Feb 24, 2016 at 07:14 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera inserts

Maybe light is the wrong word. They are very bulky for the amount of inner space. I'm carrying my gear on my back...it is not being tossed around like airplane baggage.

I'll take a look at the mountain smith.

Feb 24, 2016 at 08:40 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera inserts

they are near the thinnest in the use of foam insulation. most are bulkier. I looked at this issue years ago. I referred to most of the others as "igloo coolers". many couldn't take my lenses w/o giving up to much usable space. keep looking and let us know. Fstop is currently using 1/4" foam as does think tank. think tank does use 1/8" on many of their dividers. but then they don't make inserts.

Feb 24, 2016 at 08:53 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camera inserts

I don't use inserts at all. If I get a new bag with inserts (which most have), I pack them up for later, in case I sell the bag. Every lens gets its own Op/Tech Snoot Boot or LensCoat LensPouch, and camera bodies get an Op/Tech Soft Pouch Digital or LensCoat BodyGuard. My big lenses, 300/2.8L IS and 500/4L IS, wear LensCoat LensCovers all of the time, and get extra protection with LensCoat TravelCoat covers when they're not traveling in their own, dedicated lens cases.

Feb 24, 2016 at 09:21 AM
minh giang

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camera inserts

i think the f-stop inserts are pretty slim/lightly padded when compared with the other off the shelf options, but i get what you mean about trying to slim them down.

if i were to approach this, i would buy one of the f-stop icu style inserts on ebay and cut them out, maybe remove the side padding and replace with a plastic stiffener.

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:00 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camera inserts

plastic would make it stiffer. when mine is in my pack it still flexes with my movement which is preferred.

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:04 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.