New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Incoming!

beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Incoming!

This little ginger missile is my nephew Hudson!

Is it weird that his face caught so much more light than anywhere else?

All the motion fit or is it awkward?

Thanks!

Jeff

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:15 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Incoming!

I think the motion adds a nice dynamic. If you hadn't of nailed the focus on his face as well as you did then I think it would have killed the shot.

Nice capture. I might crop a little off the top to loose dad's (?) right knuckles?

Dave

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:34 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Incoming!

lighthound wrote:
I think the motion adds a nice dynamic. If you hadn't of nailed the focus on his face as well as you did then I think it would have killed the shot.

Nice capture. I might crop a little off the top to loose dad's (?) right knuckles?

Dave

Thanks bud! Either we're on the same page or you're in my head cause I was gonna include in the OP about cloning out the hand in there.

Jeff

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:36 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Incoming!

A very cute boy, a perpetual motion machine with joy in his eyes as you've captured. As far as the composition, hard to get everything right in a quick capture like this.

Steve

Feb 23, 2016 at 09:45 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Incoming!

eeneryma wrote:
A very cute boy, a perpetual motion machine with joy in his eyes as you've captured. As far as the composition, hard to get everything right in a quick capture like this.

Steve

Thanks for the comments, Steve! I didn't have much time to adjust for his assault, especially shooting M/MF with a 7DII/100-400 (@100mm) and 1.4x TC attached. Was geared up to test out the TC and see what my overall reach looks like and I snapped some family shots in lieu of the absent wildlife.

Cheers,

Jeff

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:05 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Incoming!

This will be a very good memory, especially showing his character like this, something hard to get in a standard portrait. It does seem a bit washed out to me, I would try adding some contrast and darkening the face just a bit.

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:15 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Incoming!

ben egbert wrote:
This will be a very good memory, especially showing his character like this, something hard to get in a standard portrait. It does seem a bit washed out to me, I would try adding some contrast and darkening the face just a bit.

Thanks for the feedback, Ben! I'll see if I can do a little recovery around the face and I'll see if I can boost contrast without overdoing it.

Jeff

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:38 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Incoming!

Good call Ben. I hadn't noticed this when I first viewed it last night.

Looks like you have plenty of wiggle room to make your mild tweaks Jeff.

Edit: Maybe warm it up a little too?

Happy happy happy!

Feb 23, 2016 at 04:57 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Incoming!

Cute!! And the memory, action, totally cuteness far exceed the technical issues.
Here is a LR rework with a slight crop to get rid of Dad's hand, draw further attention to your nephew. Added a bit of vignette.
Additionally significant highlight recovery, slight tweak in curves to increase contrast.
Chose as relatively neutral points the light edge of the sneakers, ending up with a slightly cooler image. (Not sure that part is an improvement)
Bumped the vibrance.

Scott

Feb 23, 2016 at 07:35 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Incoming!

Thanks for the comments and rework, Scott! I dig the warmth of mine but the pop of yours. Definitely need to pull back the highlight on the face in mine. But now his dad is a one-armed man!!

It seems that my OP was a bit underseasoned. I had contrast, vibrance and vignette - just not enough!

Thanks again!

Jeff

Feb 23, 2016 at 08:09 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Incoming!

yeah, I prefer the warmth of yours too.
I don't think the amputation will hurt the image (at least)

Feb 23, 2016 at 08:25 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Incoming!

Updated!

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:09 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.