Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · North East Trip in Fall 2016.

Rohanban
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · North East Trip in Fall 2016.

I am planning a road trip in the NE during the last week of **EDIT : September or first week of October '16.

Some of the locations I will be spending some time in:-

Acadia NP.
Portland, ME.
Montpelier, VT.
Burlington, VT.

However I am curious about:-

Mt. Katahdin (ME),
Green Mountain NF (VT) and
White Mountains (NH).

So far the trip advisory section only has 1 post about White Mountains (NH)... I would appreciate some more insights from fellow landscape photographers about the area (waterfalls, fall colors, creeks, etc).

Edited on Feb 29, 2016 at 12:11 PM · View previous versions

Feb 22, 2016 at 09:24 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · North East Trip in Fall 2016.

I was at Acadia in fall of 2015 and was very pleasantly surprised by the amount of really nice fall color to be seen.

As far as the White Mountains, if you hike you should do the Falling Waters Trail. It's cascades and three named and very nice waterfalls on the way up in about (I think) a mile and a half. It's steep at the last falls, and you have to cross the stream twice which doesn't usually present a problem at that time of year. There are some nice views along the Kancamagus Highway, although I think in general that road is a bit over-rated.

The Basin is another area that's fun to photograph in the fall, and it's right by the road with a dedicated parking area and sign.

Here's a pretty nice web site on waterfalls in NH:
http://www.northeastwaterfalls.com/database.php?browse=st&sort=NH

Also, south of the White mountains proper is a one mile uphill but not steep hike to a tremendous view of Squam Lake. This one is well worth doing.
http://www.hikenewengland.com/RattlesnakeWestGen1.html

keith

Feb 26, 2016 at 08:33 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · North East Trip in Fall 2016.

Acadia and Portland will be the last to change, but most or all of these areas are usually past peak in color before the end of October. We have had crazy weather this year, so some bets are off, but if you want foliage in NE to be part of the tour, plan late September to early October depending on latitude, elevation and seasonal variation.
For landscapes, consider Two Lights State Park outside of Portland.
Acadia is spectacular and I especially like Otter Cliffs/Boulder Beach. PM me if you are trying to find Boulder Beach as it is more a nickname then designated area. The Bass Lighthouse is in that area and a classic to capture.
Burlington is a great town. Waterfront scenes shooting across Champlain to the west toward NY are nice. Heading inland, Mt Mansfield (home to Stowe and Smugglers Notch ski areas) might offer some good vistas.

Backroad driving through Vermont in late September can be spectacular for foliage and I would really plan my timing around that, if possible. VT publishes a foliage update yearly.

Scott

Feb 28, 2016 at 07:41 PM
Ed McGuirk

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · North East Trip in Fall 2016.

I have lived in New England my entire life. If your interest is primarily fall colors, then your timing of late October / early November is way too late. Unless you want to photograph what we call stick season (leafless trees).

Here is what is generally considered the peak time range of colors in various parts of New England

Sep 27 to Oct 5 Northern New Hampshire and Northeast Kingdom of Vermont
The Northeast Kingdom is north and east of St. Johnsbury. northern New Hampshire is down thru about Gorham. Baxter State Park in Maine also goes in this time range.

Oct 3 to 12 New Hampshire White Mountains, Midstate Vt Rutland to Rt. 2. This includes the area from Gorham down thru about Lincoln, NH

Oct 10 to 16 Southern NH and Vt, Acadia Area of Maine (ocean makes it go later), Burlington Vt area (lake makes it go later). This includes the Lake Region and Monadnock region of NH., and Vt from Rutland south thru Brattleboro.

Oct 15 to 25 Massachusetts, Cape Cod, Connecticut

A very large caveat about these dates, they are a range of what is typical. They vary from year to year. Last year we had an extremely warm September, and the peak color was 10 to 14 days later than the typical range (this is very rare). With that said, if you shoot for the the first two weeks of October, you will always find color somewhere, and New England is compact enough geographically that you can move around pretty easily. You can also change your elevation between mountains and valleys to seek out color stages. During this time frame lodging fully fills up, so book your lodging months in advance.

If you are interested in mountains, waterfalls, streams (as opposed to barns, farms, New England Village greens), I would recommend the White Mountains of NH, and the area of Vermont from White River Junction and North, in the eastern half of the state. I would go between Oct 3 to Oct 15. if the pastoral farms, etc is your fancy, then you can't beat teh area around Woodstock VT. in general Vt is better for the pastoral landscape, and NH's White Mountains are better for wild landscapes.

Montpelier Vt makes a good base for the Vt portion. From here it is an easy drive to Moss Glen Falls in Granville, Texas Falls, Smugglers Notch, Ricker Pond and Kettle Pond in Groton State forest. Peacham Vt. is nearby if you want the more pastoral barns and farms look.

New Hampshire White Mountains are mountain and waterfall heaven. The Kancamagus highway Rt. 112 between Lincoln and Conway has mountain views, great views of the Swift river, and Sabbaday falls. This drive also gets you up at good elevation. not far from the east end of this highway is Chocura Lake, great for reflections. Also try Franconia Notch state park near Lincoln for more waterfalls, along the Falling Waters Trail, and the Basin cascades trail. Crawford Notch state Park contains Silver Cascade, Arethusa Falls and Ripley Falls among others. The Sugar Hill NH at the north end of Franconia Notch is also a great location.

A good base for this area would be Lincoln NH. Avoid North Conway (too crowded).

If you are looking for landscape photography in natural settings, I'd recommend staying away from the major cities like Burlington, Portland, Manchester or Boston, they are too far away from the mountains.

Feb 29, 2016 at 08:18 AM
Rohanban
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · North East Trip in Fall 2016.

Awesome reviews guys! Thank you so much. I mistyped the fall season dates (I meant end of September - beginning of October). I have about 10 days that I could spare in that date range.

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:10 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.