p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A hard one (for me)

These always seem to be nice to look at - But, hard to get a good picture of -

© plsand 2015

Feb 22, 2016 at 06:14 AM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A hard one (for me)

You did a pretty good job of it Paul. In my experience, with these particular flowers, it seems to be the reflectiveness of the waxy surface of the petal, though with these, I'm not sure that is the correct terminology. A shade or piece of semi opaque material between flower and light source sometimes helps me.
Douglas

Feb 22, 2016 at 07:37 AM
plsand
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A hard one (for me)

Hi Douter -
Thanks -
Glad to hear from you -
Paul

Feb 22, 2016 at 07:42 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A hard one (for me)

The flower is an Anthurium. The flowers are on the central spike-like spadix. The red spathe is a type of bract or modified leaf.

The spathe, in images, is typically shiny. Maybe it needs very diffuse lighting to overcome this.

Harold

Feb 22, 2016 at 01:15 PM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A hard one (for me)

I think you did pretty well Paul. One thing that might help you pick up a little more texture is to light it from the side, with a high 45 degree angle to boost the shadows. I agree with Harold, in that hard light will blow out the texture due to the reflective nature of that "petal".

Also keep in mind that digital sensors are very sensitive to red light, and if your diffuser makes the light too warm anything with a lot of red in it will be difficult to expose for. I had a problem with blowing out the red channel a few years back and traced it to a diffusion plastic that was making my light too warm. Funny thing about yogurt containers is that they're great -for transporting yogurt. No so great for diffusing a flash

Feb 23, 2016 at 02:05 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.