New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Using two heads on Profoto B2

pjny
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Using two heads on Profoto B2

Hi,

I found a good deal on a used Profoto B2 lamp head($500) and wanted to see if anyone else is using two heads for portraits and other assignments considering the 250 available watts and the 1/3 power loss with extension cable.

I wanted to use the second head for clamshell lighting with Elinchrom Octa 39" on top and a Profoto 1x3' RFI striplight for fill. I can wanted to use the second lamp for edge lighting with 2 1x3' strip lights and Profoto B1 as frontal light.

I don't mind pushing the ISO up to 400-800 if necessary for depth of field since 250watts split is not a lot.

I feel it's probably better to just get a 2nd B2 pack or another B1(about $1500-1600 used) since head is $500, extension cable is $200 and additonal battery is $229.

Feb 22, 2016 at 01:13 AM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Using two heads on Profoto B2

I would much prefer to have one head per pack when using battery portables of this size. The point of these packs is that they are free from cable connections. Adding extension cables defeats the point.

Feb 22, 2016 at 03:37 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Using two heads on Profoto B2

If this is in the studio just buy some studio strobes, they are much cheaper than battery powered packs. I'm not sure the pack will even allow asymmetric power adjustment and 250w split with another 1/3 power loss and you are almost at speedlight power.

Feb 22, 2016 at 05:39 AM
Conner999
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Using two heads on Profoto B2

The power levels will be fine and you can dial each in individually up to the 250ws max, but as your logic states once you add the 2nd head and cable and maybe battery your Well on the way towards another used 1 lamp B2 kit . Personally I prefer one head per head.

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:42 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.