Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Recommended Fraud Monitoring Services (ID Protection)?

jancohen
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recommended Fraud Monitoring Services (ID Protection)?

A need for premium protection has unfortunately come to the fore, as of last night. I won't go into the details (or at least not just yet), but I'm wondering what others are using for such services and whether they're happy with them. I'm talking about services/plans like those offered by Lifelock, AllClearID, etc.

Up until now, I've have had basic protection, but that's apparently not enough anymore.

I'm in the process of taking care of fraud holds, police reports, FTC, and other paperwork (what a PITA), but was hoping to hear from others about the premium protection stuff.

TIA!

Edited: I should add that what happened to me had nothing to do with photography, camera gear, FM, eBay, nor Paypal.

Feb 21, 2016 at 12:40 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recommended Fraud Monitoring Services (ID Protection)?

Nobody has any suggestions?

Feb 21, 2016 at 06:27 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recommended Fraud Monitoring Services (ID Protection)?

Jan,

beats me. but wasn't there a recent article on LifeLock being a rip-off? Only lousy experience I had relative to that happened couple months ago when one of my CapOne credit cards got hacked at a big box store way out west. I'm in philly and was never there. CapOne caught it immediately and froze the card. That was good downside was that it took almost a month for their "fraud protection" to replenish my account with the funds that were ripped off. All's well that ended well, I reckon. Sorry I can't be of more help

Feb 21, 2016 at 06:49 PM
Reagan
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Recommended Fraud Monitoring Services (ID Protection)?

I use Identity Guard and I am happy so far
It is $14.99 a month if you go thru a website called Next Advisor this gets you monthly and full quarterly reports
for $25 a month you get full monthly reports
Someone hacked a medical insurance place in California and they hacked a million SS numbers
Mine might have been one of them They gave me free monitoring service for a year but when I checked out the service company they were rated poor
My financial guy recommended Identity Guard

Reagan

Feb 21, 2016 at 06:59 PM
Reagan
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Recommended Fraud Monitoring Services (ID Protection)?

Tony
Same happened to me with Capitol One. They caught it instantly and took it off my Credit Card in 3 days

Reagan

Feb 21, 2016 at 07:01 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Recommended Fraud Monitoring Services (ID Protection)?

Not a problem, Anthony. Just figured I'd check to see if anyone might have experience with this ID protection stuff. Some jerk opened up a VISA acct in my name, using an old street address (but with the wrong city, state, and zip) that I haven't lived at since 2010, hacked an old iTunes account of mine at Apple, and spent $20 looking like me sending himself something. Apple verified that the transaction was indeed approved (and they refunded that card acct), but couldn't tell me who the card company was. I've since closed that iTunes acct, and started the FTC process. Spent a chunk of today filling out paperwork for the local State Troopers, and I'll file a police report tomorrow. All this happened since this morning, when I got an email from Apple stating I made the following changes to my Apple ID on February 21, 2016 at 2:28:27 AM (GMT):

Name
Shipping and/or billing address
Phone number(s)
Credit card

That was followed by another email a little later from them telling me my Apple ID was used to purchase an iTunes Gift for some potato-head calling himself James Koche (in Virginia) via a computer or device that had not previously been associated with that Apple ID.

No need to mention the Quentin Tarantino scenarios I was pondering at the time.

Edited on Feb 21, 2016 at 07:21 PM · View previous versions

Feb 21, 2016 at 07:18 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Recommended Fraud Monitoring Services (ID Protection)?

Reagan wrote:
I use Identity Guard and I am happy so far
It is $14.99 a month if you go thru a website called Next Advisor this gets you monthly and full quarterly reports
for $25 a month you get full monthly reports
Someone hacked a medical insurance place in California and they hacked a million SS numbers
Mine might have been one of them They gave me free monitoring service for a year but when I checked out the service company they were rated poor
My financial guy recommended Identity Guard

Thanks, Reagan--I'll check them out as an option.

Feb 21, 2016 at 07:21 PM
Odyssey1812

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Recommended Fraud Monitoring Services (ID Protection)?

Hi Jan,

To prevent anyone from opening up revolving accounts (credit card, bank accts, etc) under your info, you can implement a Credit Freeze (aka Security Freeze). It is available in most states now. I'm not sure what state you're in, but you could probably Google it. It doesn't protect after you've become a victim though. More info is in the links below.

Wing.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0497-credit-freeze-faqs

http://www.equifax.com/help/credit-freeze/en_cp

https://www.experian.com/consumer/security_freeze.html

https://www.transunion.com/credit-freeze/place-credit-freeze

Edited because links didn't go through.

Feb 21, 2016 at 08:52 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Recommended Fraud Monitoring Services (ID Protection)?

Thanks, Wing--I saw those options when I was researching what to do earlier today, while applying for fraud alerts. A freeze may be one of the next steps I'll pursue.

Feb 21, 2016 at 10:22 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Recommended Fraud Monitoring Services (ID Protection)?

Reagan wrote:
Tony
Same happened to me with Capitol One. They caught it instantly and took it off my Credit Card in 3 days

Reagan

Same here but AT&T(CitiBank) Universal removes it right away then send me dispute paperwork. It is happening more frequently of late. My wifes Bank of America card has been hacked 3x's in 2 years!
Dan

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:03 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.