New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Two Landscapes from the Big Island, Hawaii

Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Two Landscapes from the Big Island, Hawaii

The first is the mandatory sunset with palm trees. Actually this was difficult from the Hilo side because there were very few decent sunrises or sunsets and the sun does set over land not over the water.

The second is closer to the type of landscape images I prefer.

Edited on Feb 21, 2016 at 12:18 PM · View previous versions

Feb 21, 2016 at 11:57 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Two Landscapes from the Big Island, Hawaii

How was the trip?? Catch any lava?

First pic is great, cliche HI shot or not. I like the palm being centered, but not.

Might look to just clip the blacks and go full silhouette and clone out the reflection in the small area of land.

The second isn't working for me. Feels a bit forced and lacking depth. The left and right sides seem to be off in exposure IMO. Can you pull back at all?

Cheers!

Jeff

Feb 21, 2016 at 12:04 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Two Landscapes from the Big Island, Hawaii

Jeff, thanks. I removed the reflection in the first image. I suppose I could decenter the tree with some minor cropping but the centering did not bother me.

I do not know what you mean by "pulling back." I suppose you mean parts of the image are too bright. My prints tend to be a bit darker and more saturated than my monitor jpegs. I plan to do a proof print before making any brightness/saturation adjustments, but I do think I understand your suggestion.

Feb 21, 2016 at 12:21 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Two Landscapes from the Big Island, Hawaii

I was hoping you would post a few from your trip! Hope you had a great time!

First image is very nice. I like your composition where by you used the silhouetted shore line for the leading line. My only nit is that it feels a bit too strong in the red saturation and doesn't look real. A simple pull back on that channel's saturation and I think you have a winner here, cliche or not.

Second image I have to agree with Jeff on. It feels a little flat or washed out and is lacking depth. You have some fantastic elements in this shot and again, I like your composition as well. Viewing it at this tiny web size is not helping this image I suspect. Full screen sized you may not have the flatness issue.

Dave

Feb 21, 2016 at 12:29 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Two Landscapes from the Big Island, Hawaii

I missed this post, good to see some of your Hawaii shots. The first one works as is and is very nice and print worthy. The second is a great scene but something is missing. My first thoughts are a weak black point.

Feb 21, 2016 at 08:09 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Two Landscapes from the Big Island, Hawaii

I thought I would try another version of the waterfall scene. My wife looked at this and asked how I got the 3d effect. Jeff and Ben found it flat and lacking depth. Ben found that something was "missing." Personally, I think the colors are strange but I attribute that to the area which was in the middle of the rainy season of about 200 inches/year of rain.

I would appreciate another look and additional comments.

Feb 22, 2016 at 09:20 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Two Landscapes from the Big Island, Hawaii

Hi Jim. this new version has more contrast which fixes the issue I had with the earlier one.

I am reluctant to address color unless it is really off. I can look at any given image on different computers and all will be different. Color management is still in the stone age.

Feb 22, 2016 at 09:26 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Two Landscapes from the Big Island, Hawaii

Version 3.....less yellow

Feb 22, 2016 at 09:27 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Two Landscapes from the Big Island, Hawaii

2nd for me.

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:57 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Two Landscapes from the Big Island, Hawaii

I think version 2 is the strongest here and has much better depth. Maybe a blend between ver 2 and 3 but more toward version 2?

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:03 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Two Landscapes from the Big Island, Hawaii

Not much to add.
The second image is composed beautifully. The second version of your second image feels a bit too bright on the right foreground bush and I prefer the more muted, natural look of the first and third versions.

Love to see more Jim.

Scott

Feb 23, 2016 at 07:46 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.