Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Help with Aperture library file - lost masters???

grani13
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with Aperture library file - lost masters???

Hello,

I have decided to pull the trigger and move from Aperture to Lightroom....and have discovered a possible corruption/file error....

My filing system in Aperture is each year as a project, then folders for months and then events....I have exported each year as a new library and then tried importing into LR...to see how that works.

In the process I have noticed that LR didn't import any pictures from 2004....(well only like 50) and that's what made me look deeper into things. I realised that all 2004 photos are imported into 2007...

Checking the contents of the Aperture library in the masters folder there is no folder inside earlier than 2007 (my collection starts in 2002, but everything seems now to be in the 2007 folder).

Now the important thing: When looking at this in detail in Aperture I realised that I have suspiciously little photos in some years, like sometimes there is no month in that year, and it would be quite unusual that I haven't taken a photo for an entire month.....BUT - I am not sure, these photos are from 10 years ago and I am not looking at them regularly (hence never noticed until now).

I DO NOT have a separate, old backup - all the backups that I have are done automatically via the Aperture vaults, up to date and IDENTICAL to the main library.

I have repaired and rebuild the library - no changes....

So, the question to the community:

1) Is there a way that I could - even manually - dissect the Aperture library file to check if there are some files that are for some reason not showing up in the program (i.e. "lost")

2) Any ideas for a backup strategy that could prevent such a thing from happening (i.e. a "faulty" library being backed up)

3) When I try exporting some years as new projects Aperture is always crashing (library has been repaired several times etc.). Any ideas on the best way to get these masters out of the library and into LR?

thanks
grani

Feb 21, 2016 at 05:16 AM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with Aperture library file - lost masters???

grani13 wrote:
1) Is there a way that I could - even manually - dissect the Aperture library file to check if there are some files that are for some reason not showing up in the program (i.e. "lost")

>>> It sounds like you've got a managed library. The first thing I'd do is use Aperture's search functionality to locate your "missing" images and then move them to where you want them. After that I'd "Relocate" the images to create a referenced library. Easy process that's well documented and you'll end up with all of your images in a nice file structure that
...Show more

Abbott

Feb 21, 2016 at 10:56 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with Aperture library file - lost masters???

It could be that Lr is importing photos according to their edited dates; i.e. when you last edited those photos in Aperture or some other program, rather than when you captured those photos. You might have unwittingly altered the capture dates years ago when you did not appreciate the consequences.

I suggest that you put the files (whether exported from Aperture or not) into a halfway suitable folder structure that can be managed with just the file system utilities such as Finder, and then Import / Add them into Lr. That will leave them where they are but Lr will access them as required.

Basic Lr lesson #1 : Do not use any program other than Lr to relocate the image files once they have been imported into Lr.

Basic Lr lesson #2 : That file structure that I mentioned above; make sure that all of the photo-holding folders on any drive or volume share a common parent folder or grandparent or whatever. Put another way, start with a single folder anywhere at all and then build a structure of photo folders under that one. If you ever want to make use backup of that folder structure then all you have to do is point Lr at that single top folder and it will find all of the photos under it. Much quicker and much easier than the alternatives.

Basic Lr lesson #3 : Be aware that Lr libraries can span multiple drives and volumes. You don't have to put all images in one volume and you don't have to split your library over several Lr catalogs. In fact, using multiple Lr catalogs undermines the search and management facilities within Lr.

- Alan

Feb 22, 2016 at 06:21 AM
grani13
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help with Aperture library file - lost masters???

Abbott Schindl wrote:
Abbott

Thanks.
Well yeah I have got a managed library - 1.4TB file.

I am not sure I made my first question clear...
An example: I have 1010 files in the "2004" project my library. That seem extremely low to me...when I show the contents of the aperture library file, there is no "2004" folder in masters. I can find the pictures, as mentioned before, under "2007"....
It's not that the master files are missing (i.e. like in a broken link to a referenced file). It is entire folders (i.e. months) not being there that should be there.

The question is: is there any (reasonable) way to find out if there are some files sitting in the aperture library file and are not recognised/imported due to a bug?

thanks
grani

Feb 25, 2016 at 03:34 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.