New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · gear bag on a budget

Rachel1786

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · gear bag on a budget

So I'm finding that my current camera bag is running short on space (10 year old adorama slinger). I'd like to get a new bag but finding they are a lot pricier then I anticipated. I don't want to spend more then $100 (I mean really, if it came down to it, I could leave some equipment at home, so I can't really justify spending more then that) closer to $50 would be ideal (by browsing I'm seeing that's probably impossible).
I have a Canon 70D and 7 lenses (my biggest being a sigma 70-300mm), 2 external flashes and some small stuff (filters, extra battery, extra SD card, battery charger, and speed light triggers).

Does anyone know anything that fits the bill,I'm not picky on style(although easy access would be great, with my current bag I have to take out everything on top to get to the lenses in the bottom), and I don't care if it's a used bag.

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions you can offer!

Feb 20, 2016 at 03:52 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · gear bag on a budget

First, that's a lot of gear to haul regularly. For times I want everything I bring two bags and leave one in the car. That way I shuttle back if I need to swap, but I'm not killing myself trying to carry everything.

Second, look used. Try Craigslist. I see older bags for 1/2 to 1/3 or retail there a lot.

And third, good luck.

Peace,

Todd

Feb 20, 2016 at 06:19 PM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · gear bag on a budget

Search buy and sell here on FM.
Adorama seems to have a lot of sales on close out bags.
Check your local pawn shops & thrift stores. Might not find a camera specific bag but a slinger type then buy an insert for padding & compartments.

Feb 20, 2016 at 07:42 PM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · gear bag on a budget

eBay has a plethora of inexpensive camera backpacks:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xcamera+backpacks.TRS0&_nkw=camera+backpacks&_sacat=0

Feb 21, 2016 at 10:44 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · gear bag on a budget

I can't imagine carrying 7 lenses all at once (unless all pancakes!). But sounds like you need a roller or backpack style case if you really need to carry all that at once. If you're really cheap, buy a couple bag inserts and warps and use an old carry-on roller. I use one for music gigs for cables, stands and small electronics. Much easier to roll from cheap parking than a shoulder bag and a snap to see inside and work out of. I've also used inserts in tote and messenger bags and I could carry a lot of camera gear to locations.

Feb 21, 2016 at 04:49 PM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · gear bag on a budget

Lowepro 500 AW....Plenty of room

Feb 21, 2016 at 10:49 PM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · gear bag on a budget

Case Logic SLRC-206, great bag:

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-SLRC-206-15-4-Inch-Backpack/dp/B002DW99H8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1456123446&sr=1-1&keywords=case+logic+slrc-206

Feb 22, 2016 at 01:45 AM
Hokie Jim

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · gear bag on a budget

Carry half the lenses.

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:08 AM
jcunwired
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · gear bag on a budget

Humbly speaking, I'm not quite getting the logic of relying on a bag that costs less than $100 to carry thousands of dollars in gear.

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:31 AM
Rachel1786

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · gear bag on a budget

Thank you everyone for your replies, I know it seems like a lot to carry but we are setting up a small studio at work and I can't leave my equipment there, so between studio pics and taking pics of dogs in the play yard, I'll need an assortment of lenses. Mostly the bag is just to keep everything contained in the car (and at home).

Feb 23, 2016 at 01:11 PM
Cheryle Sytsma
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · gear bag on a budget

I recently purchased the Vanguard Supreme Divider 46.
Great for lens/camera storage for car/home...
This link shows several sizes. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Vanguard+Supreme+Divider+Bag&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Feb 24, 2016 at 09:50 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · gear bag on a budget

jcunwired wrote:
Humbly speaking, I'm not quite getting the logic of relying on a bag that costs less than $100 to carry thousands of dollars in gear.

You can puck up a great backpack made for trekking for $100 which provides much better support and does not weigh a ton empty. Photo packs in general are a ripoff, are heavy and do not provide the support a regular backpack does. This is coming from a person that has used Lowepro, F-stop and think tank packs extensively.

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:33 AM
bogeypro
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · gear bag on a budget

I might have something for you, email me at mjldba at roadrunner.Com & i'll send you some pics & description of a non-hiking backpack that I picked up but never used after injuring my back.

Mike

Feb 24, 2016 at 02:31 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.