New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Theoretical thought: onboard memory adapter to SSD

thebmrust
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Theoretical thought: onboard memory adapter to SSD

Saw a B&H advertisement for:
Crucial MX200 500GB SATA 6 Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD $155.

That's way cheaper than CFast cards:
Lexar 3600x 256GB $675

Not sure what the power requirements are but I imagined a ribbon type adapter from the onboard memory slot(s) to an attached SSD. Maybe in a screw on cradle below the battery grip with a battery for power.

While the single point of failure concept makes me shiver, I also imagined never having to worry about memory cards. Heck, if you could have two SSD then you have a mirror backup already.

Once you get home you pull a drive and slide it into an external housing and viola. You're working.

Anyway, just wanted to share a thought.

Feb 20, 2016 at 11:58 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Theoretical thought: onboard memory adapter to SSD

really, do you think if i'm purchasing/using a camera that supports CFast II or XQD i'm going to get upset about the pricing on the cards it supports? actually I have been using XQD since the D4 came out and using 32GB cards. they hold over 800 images per card on the D4/D4s and on the D5 there are 2 slots and dual 64GB cards are still well over 3200 whacks. this is fine for most business related shoots as a 128-256GB would be for Cinema type work on these cameras and there is till more involved in doing that then just a card. I do understand that there are specialty and enthusiast shooters that just must have the biggest available but they really aren't going to let that price get in the way. and of course you can always rent them for the shoot too.

oh, I forgot you can output your video to an atomos recorder too. easily rented. with you SSD.

prices will be dropping as they get into the pipeline as has shown by XQD.

Feb 21, 2016 at 11:05 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.