Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · Big Cat trip - Kenya

evertdoorn
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Big Cat trip - Kenya

Congratulations to evertdoorn for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 18 votes - View Previous Winners

Hi, this is the very first time I'm posting here in this forum. I've been looking at all your incredible work in the last months and learned a great deal!

Recently I've joined wildlife photographer David Lloyd on his big cat safari in the Masai Mara, Kenya. We had a great week shooting big cats (lots of lions) but other animals and some landscapes too. I really have a lot of respect for all the hard work and patience you guys have for this type of work!

Anyway, here's some images. Gear uses: 5D III, 7D II, 5Ds, 16-35 F/4, 70-200 2.8 II and 100-400 II (sometimes with 1.4 TC II).

Feb 20, 2016 at 01:36 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Big Cat trip - Kenya

Let me be the first to welcome you. So glad you joined the posting side, welcome ! What a treat to view these truly amazing images . Each image is so strong and tells a story. Love your perspective especially in 5,6,11,16 and 18.
The landscapes with the horizon low in the frame are outstanding.
What a joy to view this entire set. I have scrolled through several times. So well done.
I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Birdie

Feb 20, 2016 at 02:06 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Big Cat trip - Kenya

Welcome! What an incredible, varied, enjoyable, and well executed set!! Really good comps and perspectives. I'm sure you've go way more tucked away. Post a few of them!

Feb 20, 2016 at 02:18 PM
soupy
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Big Cat trip - Kenya

Welcome aboard!! I'm astonished at the broad scope of your shots and admire each and every one of them. I like too many of them to go into detail. Just know I think they're top notch.

Sue

Feb 20, 2016 at 03:03 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Big Cat trip - Kenya

Excellent work Evert. You transitioned into this new to you type of photography very well. Welcome to FM, I look forward to sharing with you.

Morris

Feb 20, 2016 at 03:24 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Big Cat trip - Kenya

Welcome to FM and very very impressive series from landscape to big cat to herbivore images. Be very careful though, Africa and it's creatures can become incredibly addictive and you will find yourself longing to return before too long.
Eric

Feb 20, 2016 at 03:43 PM
evertdoorn
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Big Cat trip - Kenya

Thank you all for the kind words!

I have some outtakes that I'll add tomorrow.

@Eric: I already miss the place; very much wish we can come back next year

Feb 20, 2016 at 03:56 PM
conebeam
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Big Cat trip - Kenya

I liked all. #2 tells the story of a motherly love after a hunt that injured the face.

I wish I could see the exif data.

Mansur

Feb 20, 2016 at 04:53 PM
jfwoodman
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Big Cat trip - Kenya

Wow, that's quite an entrance to the forum! Spectacular set!
Looks like you had an amazing trip, and you documented the landscapes and subjects beautifully. I look forward to more.

Jim

Feb 20, 2016 at 04:55 PM
evertdoorn
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Big Cat trip - Kenya

conebeam wrote:
I liked all. #2 tells the story of a motherly love after a hunt that injured the face.

I wish I could see the exif data.

Mansur

Mansur, I forgot to add that; I always export JPGs without exif data. However if you have a particular question about any image let me know; happy to answer

Feb 20, 2016 at 05:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Nozzleforward
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Big Cat trip - Kenya

Awesome photos! #5 and #8 grabbed my attention right off. Welcome!

Feb 20, 2016 at 08:29 PM
lowside67
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Big Cat trip - Kenya

Did you need the 100-400 II + 1.4x + crop body a lot ("896mm")? I see a lot of people going to the Mara with a 500 II on a full frame and maybe with a 1.4x tele at the most, which seems to be quite a bit shorter on reach. I am trying to figure out what gear I might want/need for that trip as well.

Cheers,
Mark

Feb 20, 2016 at 08:55 PM
evertdoorn
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Big Cat trip - Kenya

Mark, I'm absolutely no expert in this field, so I can only tell you this from my own experience during that week: I used the 100-400 + 1.4 TC on the 7DII on a couple of occasions, but not too much. Maybe 1 or 2 shots in the images above.

For mammals it's a lot of reach; probably way too much (most animals allow you to get quite close in the Mara since it's a reserve with a relative high number of visitors, so animals are somewhat used to people I guess). If you shoot mainly birds then different rules apply probably, and I can imagine a 500 or even a 600 could be better.

A 500 fixed would actually in a lot of cases be too close for the cats, ellies and other bigger mammals; I've seen many more 400's out in the field there (did love the relative light weight of the 100-400 zoom..). And everyone has a 70-200 nearby on a second body as well.

Take this with a grain of salt though, since just a single week of shooting wildlife doesn't really give me much credibility in giving gear advice in this particular field

Edited on Feb 20, 2016 at 09:16 PM · View previous versions

Feb 20, 2016 at 09:13 PM
kwilliam8
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Big Cat trip - Kenya

Magnificent set of images!!! What a pleasure to view them!
Keith W.

Feb 20, 2016 at 09:38 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Big Cat trip - Kenya

beauties Evert.. i enjoyed them all

Feb 21, 2016 at 09:05 AM
dugaut
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Big Cat trip - Kenya

Your set is what I think of when we say it's the photographer that makes the difference, not the equipment.

Great way to start my day. Thank you.

Feb 21, 2016 at 10:55 AM
JimStock
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Big Cat trip - Kenya

A very nice selection of images from the Masai Mara. The interaction between adults and cubs makes the image come alive and tells the story of life in the wild. Hope to see more of your Masai Mara trip.

Jim

Feb 21, 2016 at 12:23 PM
niani.gil
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Big Cat trip - Kenya

Excellent set Evert. You sure did have a blast in Masai. #5, 10 and 22 are my picks. The landscapes in addition are excellent, with the trees conveying the magnitude of the scene.
Nig

Feb 21, 2016 at 01:25 PM
jfan

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Big Cat trip - Kenya

Stunning! I absolutely love the BW shots.

Feb 21, 2016 at 03:14 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Big Cat trip - Kenya

Welcome to N&W Evert. You are off to a great start. You have a great eye, and obviously know your way around processing. Please keep posting here ~ Ron

Feb 21, 2016 at 08:36 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password