FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · The Strange Case of Hedychium greenii

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Strange Case of Hedychium greenii

We grow a number of Gingers of the genus Hedychium. They are quite showy in the summer, when they can be kept outside.

This plant was given to us last summer and in November it flowered. The flowers were not very showy and it seems that I did not photograph them. I have since learned that it had never flowered for the friend who gave us the plant.

I had previously noted the reddish stems, which indicated that it was H. greenii. When it flowered the flowers matched images of H. greenii found on the Internet. During the search, I learned that this was a “sport” which did not set seed but formed plantlets on the flower remnants. This seemed to not be happening but plantlets eventually appeared in February. (The plant given to us must have been from a division of the rooted base, as theirs had not flowered).

These images are from the third week in February, showing various stages of growth, the longest growth shown in the images being ca 170mm. It really needs the stereo to show what is going on.

EM-1, Kiron 105mm, f11, twin flash, hand-held.

In the first image the pale structure on the upper right is the remnant of the inflorescence.

The stereo is cross-eye.

There is a difference in the colour balance of the images. The correct colour of the background is intermediate between the two levels of pink but, for this purpose, I am leaving it as it is.

Harold

Feb 20, 2016 at 06:30 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.