Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2016 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Ph...

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

JaimitoFrog wrote:
Or Canon is the market leader for a reason. Easy to use, relative affordability, lens selection, service, marketing, etc. Think they sponsored the press photo contest no?

I'm not sure if Canon sponsored the contest but there is no denying that their gear is reliable under severe weather and abuse. All things considered, that may be a top consideration for the winners.

Feb 21, 2016 at 03:24 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

JaimitoFrog wrote:
Maybe the list just tells you all that non sense debate in gear is not very important if you are a good photographer. Buy what you like, learn and perfect your skills matter more.

As always the issue depends on POV.

When I hire a photographer, I want one that will obtain the desired results and use appropriate equipment of whatever type.

However, when I am making images the only variable I can control is the equipment. After 40 years of doing this hobby, I'm more convinced that the expectations increase, but my physical abilities decrease.

EBH

Feb 21, 2016 at 03:54 AM
JaimitoFrog
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

EB-1 wrote:
As always the issue depends on POV.

When I hire a photographer, I want one that will obtain the desired results and use appropriate equipment of whatever type.

However, when I am making images the only variable I can control is the equipment. After 40 years of doing this hobby, I'm more convinced that the expectations increase, but my physical abilities decrease.

EBH

ha, like visual acuity and strength to hand hold a dSLR? non wonder older folks love mirror less and big/bright viewfinder.

Feb 21, 2016 at 03:59 AM
nandadevieast
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

Those guys are often standing behind a scene that never gets played out in your neighbourhood. They travel for that shot, work hard for it and eventually it becomes a passion filled job. At that point, gear differences fade away.

JaimitoFrog wrote:
Maybe the list just tells you all that non sense debate in gear is not very important if you are a good photographer. Buy what you like, learn and perfect your skills matter more.

Feb 21, 2016 at 06:22 AM
David Garcia
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

EB-1 wrote:
High IQ not required, eh?

EBH

Feb 21, 2016 at 06:59 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

JaimitoFrog wrote:

If you read some of the hyperbole that gets guffed out on forums and you didn't know better you might well think many of these cameras were quite unusable and nobody would ever have bought a 5D2 (which AFAIK is still the best selling FF camera ever.)

It's the user not the tool, but there is nothing wrong with Canon cameras, as some would have you believe. This is a nice example of that.

Feb 21, 2016 at 08:05 AM
KKFung
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

To me it is same thing like DXOmarks, tell you the truth, but not all the truth.

Feb 21, 2016 at 08:16 AM
Bieg
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

I would venture to guess that the people on that list spend more time with whatever camera they are using actually taking pictures rather than pixel peeping and arguing over specifications. Just my opinion.

Feb 21, 2016 at 04:53 PM
DAphoto77
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

I have used Canon EOS since 1988. I locked into canon early on because of EF lens purchases. I just sold an EF 70-200 2.8L that I purchased in 1997. That's nineteen years ago. it still was taking sharp pictures. I hated to see it go and it still brought a good price used. I have no desire to leave the brand as I am still locked in psychically as well as monetarily. I tried a couple of side trips along the way. One trip was with Bronica to do wedding formals and one was mirrorless. As I said in another post Canon still leads. I am more interested in performance in the real world rather than hair splitting over performance at the margins. To me the object is the image. Canon has not let me down in 26 years of international trips, small newspaper photography including lots of high school sports, my own wedding business, my own and newspaper dark rooms, digital printing, and shooting large scale swim meets. If I could do it with EOS film and medium format fifteen years ago, I can still do it today's much improved Canon gear. There are reasons that those high level pros use Canon. These include long term corporate stability, a broad array of lenses, reasonably reliable customer support, and the long life of lens products like my nineteen year old L lens. So if Canon is behind so be it.. Progress is cyclical and I would rather come with the one who brung me. Things change. .

Feb 21, 2016 at 10:27 PM
KKFung
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

Just read a web comparsion ...... very true comparsion but ......

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-1D-X-Mark-II-vs-Nikon-D5

Feb 24, 2016 at 08:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kisutch
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

Why would a working PJ want to deal with the huge files of a D810, the most popular camera of top entries?

Feb 26, 2016 at 11:42 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

2016 - https://petapixel.com/2016/02/19/here-are-the-cameras-that-won-world-press-photo-2016/

2017 - https://petapixel.com/2017/02/16/cameras-captured-winning-shots-world-press-photo-2017/

Feb 17, 2017 at 05:49 AM
SoftImage

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

What is your understanding of high IQ? What do you mean by 'high IQ'?

Feb 17, 2017 at 06:27 AM
moondigger
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

Stoffer wrote:
Since this is a Canon sub-forum, I will just focus on that brand. Two small, but interesting, facts: 1) No Canon crop cameras used, only full frame.

I wouldn't read too much into that. This is a prize for photojournalists, who by tradition and profession tend to favor full-frame cameras. If this were a prize for hobbyists there would almost certainly be a large percentage of honorees shot with crop bodies. In any case, the 2017 results show one Canon crop sensor body represented. I'm not familiar enough with Nikon model numbers to say how many of them were shot with crop bodies.

I do wonder whether a Sony A7-series might figure next year though.

Looks like the answer is no. Again, consider that these are photojournalists. Sony is unlikely to be their tool of choice.

Feb 17, 2017 at 01:26 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

nandadevieast wrote:
Those guys are often standing behind a scene that never gets played out in your neighbourhood. They travel for that shot, work hard for it and eventually it becomes a passion filled job. At that point, gear differences fade away.

What? Are you suggesting these people don't spend all their free time cruising internet photography forums and rumour sites arguing which brand is better and trying to decide what to buy next? That's crazy!

Feb 17, 2017 at 03:00 PM
ggreene
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

KKFung wrote:

You just have to shake your head at some of these "experts" doing "reviews".

The sidelines have spoken on this front.

moondigger wrote:
Sony is unlikely to be their tool of choice.

Hard to believe as we all know that underexposing by 6 stops and pushing shadows in post is the panacea for all photography. How many years have the ML fanboys been predicting the doom of Canon again?

Feb 17, 2017 at 03:17 PM
droaingsong

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

KKFung wrote:

wow, that is one extensively detailed comparison.

Feb 17, 2017 at 05:20 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

SoftImage wrote:
What is your understanding of high IQ? What do you mean by 'high IQ'?

That was a year ago, so I don't recall what I was thinking at the time.

EBH

Feb 17, 2017 at 05:24 PM
Brules

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

Wheres all the Sony A7rII's at?

Feb 17, 2017 at 07:36 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

ggreene wrote:
The sidelines have spoken on this front.

To be fair, this is less to do with the capabilities of modern gear and more to do with history. I don't think any pro sports photographer would say that a D5 and 400mm f2.8 fl is an inadequate tool, and plenty of photographers do prefer it over the Canon equivalent (just as I'm sure plenty of people prefer the Canon).

But the reason why so many sports photographers shoot Canon is a little more nuanced than whichever brand has the best gear. Firstly, many sports photographers get their equipment from their press agency. Canon is known for providing more equipment to press agencies and events than Nikon, which definitely has an effect on what gear you see at big events. Additionally, when Canon switched to the EF mount they were at the cutting edge of technology. While this drove amateurs and non-action photographers to Nikon for their legacy lens support, sports photographers and press agencies saw the advantage that an electromagnetic diaphragm provided.

Canon then led the pack with IS, lightweight telephoto lenses with fluorite, and the bigger APS-H sensor - Nikon had no stabilized telephotos, their lenses were heavier, and Canon's pro sensors were better for low light. Thus sports photographers and press agencies stuck with or migrated to Canon, it was by far the better system for action. Even when Nikon released the D3 and D700 and took the lead in sensors, the 1.3x crop factor of APS-H sensors still benefitted Canon - they could get faster fps rates and photographers got more reach with their lenses, and at this point sensors had improved enough that the ISO difference didn't matter too much for media use.

Additionally, throughout this time electronic media was destroying newspapers. Press agencies were making less money, and so were photographers (and they still are). Few agencies or photographers could justify the costs of switching systems, or even upgrading (I know several professional sports shooters who still use the 1D mark III). Even for big agencies and very successful photographers, as long as their gear is good enough there's no need to spend money for no practical gain.

Of course, I'm not trying to say that Canon's terrible and everyone should be using Nikon if not for the cost. It's just that there's more to the story of what sports photographers are using than what system is objectively best. Both Canon and Nikon make great cameras and great lenses, and while they have their respective advantages it's rare to find a photo that one system would get while the other wouldn't.

As for the WPP awards, it is interesting to see what cameras are used. It makes sense that as the market leader Canon is used the most, especially with the 5DIII being synonymous with photojournalism. Cool to see Fuji and Pentax being used too, and interestingly no Hasselblad or Mamiya/PhaseOne as in previous years. While it doesn't tell you what camera's best, it is still neat to see, and good to see that old and entry level gear can still be used to capture amazing imagery - it really is all about being in the right place and having the skills to capture the right moment.

Feb 18, 2017 at 02:21 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password