Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Ph...

shutterbug guy
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

Just saying.....

http://petapixel.com/2016/02/19/here-are-the-cameras-that-won-world-press-photo-2016/

Feb 20, 2016 at 02:35 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

High IQ not required, eh?

EBH

Feb 20, 2016 at 02:42 AM
JaimitoFrog
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

A great photographer is required.

Feb 20, 2016 at 02:55 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

JaimitoFrog wrote:
A great photographer is required.

Which makes the list rather pointless.

EBH

Feb 20, 2016 at 03:01 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

Dependability, consistent design/ergonomics, best menu system, huge diverse lens and flash selection, for novice to Pro. Canon is a known provider of user friendly gear, it's innovations may arrive slower than many would want yet IMHO that carefulness provides much comfort, not to mention outstanding color!

IQ is important but it ain't just the gear, gear is merely an extension of the human seeing, envisioning and creating something only glimpsed by a unique individual in a wee bit of time

I've been a Kodak, Fuji, Tachihara and Canon user, and a Canon has been in these still fingers since late 1978, because they just feel good, give me controls I can use and results that have never failed exceptions; however low this non-pro has required.

It's the moments I'm after, not what's in hand, for what's in-hand must disappear, not be in the way of the capture; the seeing, the feeling!

Cheers,
Jerry

Feb 20, 2016 at 03:15 AM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

Why would that be?

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:17 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

IQ and EQ plus an imaging device. Always loved the WPP shows. Photography - there's still hope.

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:36 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

Since this is a Canon sub-forum, I will just focus on that brand. Two small, but interesting, facts: 1) No Canon crop cameras used, only full frame. 2) None of the older EOS-1D versions, just the X and C.

I do wonder whether a Sony A7-series might figure next year though.

Feb 20, 2016 at 01:16 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

There is one important take-away from the list of gear used to make those photographs. (You can find a graphic representing the mix on Facebook and probably elsewhere by now.)

The takeaway?

Good photographers make excellent and compelling photographs using a tremendously wide range of equipment.

Dan

Feb 20, 2016 at 04:26 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

It's not the plane it's the pilot.....

Feb 20, 2016 at 04:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

The majority of photos were taken with a 5DM3 (15) but there were also 4 photos taken from unknown cameras ("No Data"). Sounds like the makings of a good 5DM4 rumor

Feb 20, 2016 at 05:48 PM
nandadevieast
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

4 unknown cameras were DP Merrils 0, 1, 2, 3 and 3.

Feb 20, 2016 at 05:56 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

I think facts like these are far more illuminating than endless diatribes about marginal improvements in noise and dynamic range.

Those of us who do this for a living aren't remotely surprised that Canons were used over twice as much as Nikon because Canon are by far the most popular pro brand of camera.

Because they are extremely good.

Feb 20, 2016 at 06:23 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

shutterbug guy wrote:
Just saying.....

http://petapixel.com/2016/02/19/here-are-the-cameras-that-won-world-press-photo-2016/

It's an interesting list but it only shows that the winning photographers were mostly Canon shooters and knew how to use the gear to express their vision. It's is not surprising since Canon is still the market leader.

Feb 20, 2016 at 08:14 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

Fred Miranda wrote:
It's an interesting list but it only shows that the winning photographers were mostly Canon shooters and knew how to use the gear to express their vision. It's is not surprising since Canon is still the market leader.

Exactly. :-)

Feb 20, 2016 at 10:52 PM
JaimitoFrog
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

On the contrary. It just shows it does not matter what gear you have, it's how you use it.
It also points out that many good photographers use Canon, so it is a more than adequate tool.

Feb 21, 2016 at 01:36 AM
JaimitoFrog
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

Fred Miranda wrote:

Or Canon is the market leader for a reason. Easy to use, relative affordability, lens selection, service, marketing, etc. Think they sponsored the press photo contest no?

Feb 21, 2016 at 01:41 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

JaimitoFrog wrote:
On the contrary. It just shows it does not matter what gear you have, it's how you use it.
It also points out that many good photographers use Canon, so it is a more than adequate tool.

Well, that is my point. If the camera is largely irrelevant, then why is the list necessary? I doubt the purpose of the list was to show that the equipment doesn't matter much, but maybe it is. I'd venture to say that the 5D II is not exactly the best tool for anything.

EBH

Feb 21, 2016 at 01:47 AM
JaimitoFrog
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

EB-1 wrote:
Well, that is my point. If the camera is largely irrelevant, then why is the list necessary? I doubt the purpose of the list was to show that the equipment doesn't matter much, but maybe it is. I'd venture to say that the 5D II is not exactly the best tool for anything.

EBH

Maybe the list just tells you all that non sense debate in gear is not very important if you are a good photographer. Buy what you like, learn and perfect your skills matter more.

Feb 21, 2016 at 02:21 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

EB-1 wrote:
I'd venture to say that the 5D II is not exactly the best tool for anything.

It is, by all the evidence, a very good tool for many things.

Feb 21, 2016 at 03:09 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password