New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Print processing - Qimage, Lightroom, etc

nolaguy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Print processing - Qimage, Lightroom, etc

Prompted by the related thread, this is way out of my experience and probably includes a silly question or two but I'm trying to understand the printing end better so please bear with me.

I don't do my own prints, maybe never will, but I do want to work with print labs in the most effective way possible and I may begin doing small amounts of test prints in house just to stare at, even though I imagine that sort of defeats the purpose of growing more serious about it - I'm supposing it's an all-in or not proposition.

1 - That said, how do you use print processing software?

2 - I'd never looked into Qimage. How many of you use it?

3 - What does it do better than Lightroom? (I've never used LR's print module).

4 - Do you use such print-prep software only when printing yourself or is there any advantage to processing files this way before sending off to print labs?

5 - What else should I be asking?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Chuck

Feb 19, 2016 at 11:36 AM
gdsf2
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Print processing - Qimage, Lightroom, etc

Usually, in LR, the Print Module is just for printing to your own printer. For labs, you just export jpegs (usually) or tiffs.

That being said, if you want to do multiple image layouts (i.e. packages) you can use the Print module, save as jpeg, and send to a lab. I have never done this however. Never had a need.

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:02 PM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Print processing - Qimage, Lightroom, etc

No, you don't need Qimage, LR print module, or any other such tools to send images to a commercial Lab for printing. Just simply saving jpegs and sending them to the Lab is good enough.

What you do need is monitor calibration, so that what you see on your computer screen is a reasonable match to the prints you get from the Lab.

Monitor calibration addresses two separate factors. One is brightness, the other is color. The most common problem and complaint people have with Lab prints is that they look too dark. That's because their computer screen is too bright. Most monitors come from the factory set way too bright. Calibration can fix that.

Matching color is less of a problem. It used to be a big problem years ago when we used old CRT monitors. Colors on CRT monitors could vary a lot, and they would drift constantly. Modern LCD screens, while not perfect or consistent, are less of a color problem.

Matching brightness and color involves a classic 80/20 rule. You can get 80% of the way there with only 20% of the effort it takes to get 100% of the way there. The effort to get from an 80% match to a 100% match can be considerable. And actually, you can never get a 100% match. Maybe 90%, maybe 95%.

But many folks are perfectionists. They think that last 20%, or 10%, or 5% is very important, and worth any effort to achieve. It's what separates the men from the boys, the amateurs from the professionals.

So, read up on monitor calibration and "soft proofing", and start thinking about how much of a perfectionist you want to be.

Feb 19, 2016 at 01:23 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Print processing - Qimage, Lightroom, etc

nolaguy wrote:
2 - I'd never looked into Qimage. How many of you use it?

I use it rarely to do a few things Lr can't do. I use Lr more than 99% of the time for printing.

3 - What does it do better than Lightroom? (I've never used LR's print module).

It has a slightly better interpolation algorithm for upping the image rez to the printers required rez.
It can overcome the length limitation on roll feed printers
It allows the printing images on the same print using different profiles and/or rendering intents

4 - Do you use such print-prep software only when printing yourself or is there any advantage to processing files this way before sending off to print labs?

I don't send prints out.

Brian A

Feb 19, 2016 at 02:55 PM
Snead
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Print processing - Qimage, Lightroom, etc

I've been using Qimage for about 10 years and think it's worth every penny. I compared prints from Photoshop and Qimage and Qimage prints were sharper and displayed more detail. I have Photoshop, Lightroom and Capture One and think Qimage does a better job, faster and easier.

A few years ago new owners took over and changed their update policy but still offer a trial period so you have nothing to loose if you want to try it.

Feb 20, 2016 at 09:10 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Print processing - Qimage, Lightroom, etc

As far as printing at home, do it even if you have the final done professionally. There is no better way to get your brightness dialed in, and brightness is the huge issue with prints. It also allows you to experiment with paper.

The advice for a monitor calibration is equally important.

I have used Qimage for about 10 years. The big advantage is that because printing has so many questions to ask you need something to remember the answers, including profiles and paper settings. This is also true for Qimage, but the UI is so much more intuitive than Photoshop that I prefer Qimage. It also takes care of resizing. My 5DS R prints scarcely need resizing these days but I just let Qimage do the job.

Feb 20, 2016 at 09:59 AM
gdsf2
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Print processing - Qimage, Lightroom, etc

ben egbert wrote:
As far as printing at home, do it even if you have the final done professionally. There is no better way to get your brightness dialed in, and brightness is the huge issue with prints. It also allows you to experiment with paper.

The advice for a monitor calibration is equally important.

I have used Qimage for about 10 years. The big advantage is that because printing has so many questions to ask you need something to remember the answers, including profiles and paper settings. This is also true for Qimage, but the UI is so much more intuitive than
...Show more

I have to disagree here. Getting an at home printer setup is expensive and time consuming. Way too expensive and time consuming to do for just proofs. You can order 5x7 proofs from the professional online labs for $0.42 to check color, brightness, everything. Unless you want to invest real time and money in it, home printing is not worth it. If you do invest time and money, the results can be terrific. Of course, so can professional lab results.

Also, if you print at home, realize you need to do it pretty often. I have a 24" Canon Printer in my den that is now a huge money pit. I did not understand you needed to print often to keep the heads from clogging and ink from drying out. I left it for 6-months and it is done with. And it costs $1K to refill the inks, and $1800 for the heads. Not for me. At least I got 2 years out of it and some very nice prints. But, wow, those prints ended up being $$$$.

Now - again, if you do it often, and do it right, I know it can result in real beauty. But, the above is good to keep in mind.

Jerry

Feb 20, 2016 at 01:04 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Print processing - Qimage, Lightroom, etc

gdsf2 wrote:
I have to disagree here. Getting an at home printer setup is expensive and time consuming. Way too expensive and time consuming to do for just proofs. You can order 5x7 proofs from the professional online labs for $0.42 to check color, brightness, everything. Unless you want to invest real time and money in it, home printing is not worth it. If you do invest time and money, the results can be terrific. Of course, so can professional lab results.

Also, if you print at home, realize you need to do it pretty often. I have a 24" Canon Printer
...Show more

I have been using an Epson 3800 for about 8 years or so. I do print most of my work and only purchase stuff larger than 17 wide which I cannot print. So my recommendation might be a smaller printer like a 13 inch wide if you don't plan to print at home.

I stand by my argument that learning to print is critical to getting it right. Its not just overall brightness, but how much to boost shadows, and how much to boost saturation and how much to sharpen.

Feb 20, 2016 at 01:10 PM
gdsf2
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Print processing - Qimage, Lightroom, etc

Ben,

What do you mean by this? Can't one learn these things by using a commercial lab? Does it really matter where the printer is located (at home or at the lab 1000 miles away)? I don't think so. Learning to print does not have to involve having your own printer. It is all about learning to prepare your file for print, regardless of who owns/operates the printer.

ben egbert wrote:
I have been using an Epson 3800 for about 8 years or so. I do print most of my work and only purchase stuff larger than 17 wide which I cannot print. So my recommendation might be a smaller printer like a 13 inch wide if you don't plan to print at home.

I stand by my argument that learning to print is critical to getting it right. Its not just overall brightness, but how much to boost shadows, and how much to boost saturation and how much to sharpen.

Feb 20, 2016 at 01:54 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Print processing - Qimage, Lightroom, etc

gdsf2 wrote:
Ben,

What do you mean by this? Can't one learn these things by using a commercial lab? Does it really matter where the printer is located (at home or at the lab 1000 miles away)? I don't think so. Learning to print does not have to involve having your own printer. It is all about learning to prepare your file for print, regardless of who owns/operates the printer.

It takes me many proofs to get it like a I want. The relationship between a well calibrated monitor and a print is still very different. Some low DR images come out easy, high DR images not so easy.

Once you have printed for a while, it becomes easier to visualize the print, but not at first.

Feb 20, 2016 at 02:29 PM
DonM2
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Print processing - Qimage, Lightroom, etc

I was smitten enough to download the free trial version of Qimage several hours ago. Soon found it would not process ANY RAW files from any brand or model of my cams. This despite claims that they cover RAW from almost any digital cam on the planet given in a list in the promo website.

After many minutes search in this trial version I found a comment hidden deep that RAW FILES are processed only in the 'Studio' version of this product.

So, in fact, this trial version does not answer one very common activity in PP for anyone even moderately advanced in digital pics.

Guess I'll stick with PS, LR, Nikon and Canon apps for a while yet.

Feb 21, 2016 at 12:16 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Print processing - Qimage, Lightroom, etc

You should have downloaded QImage 'Ultimate'. That is the ONLY current product.

http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage-u/trial.htm

The 'Studio' product has been discontinued for several years now (along w/ the Pro and there was a 3rd lowend version too).

Feb 21, 2016 at 07:23 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Print processing - Qimage, Lightroom, etc

ben egbert wrote:
It takes me many proofs to get it like a I want. The relationship between a well calibrated monitor and a print is still very different. Some low DR images come out easy, high DR images not so easy.

Once you have printed for a while, it becomes easier to visualize the print, but not at first.

This is so true, especially when you use multiple paper types. An image will look totally different on a textured warm surface than a glossy cold surface. I usually have a good feel what paper type to print a given image on, but am surprised on occasion.

The fine tweaking of an image to get exactly what you want out of print is why I print at home. It's this iterative process which produces a much better print at home than what your one shot print from a lab.

Feb 21, 2016 at 08:58 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Print processing - Qimage, Lightroom, etc

True, you just have to be OK with opening your wallet wide and losing your mind

Feb 21, 2016 at 09:41 AM
gdsf2
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Print processing - Qimage, Lightroom, etc

I don't use it, but your comment made me check the price. It $70. Not exactly expensive.

howardm4 wrote:
True, you just have to be OK with opening your wallet wide and losing your mind

Feb 21, 2016 at 11:21 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Print processing - Qimage, Lightroom, etc

gdsf2 wrote:
I don't use it, but your comment made me check the price. It $70. Not exactly expensive.

I took that comment to mean the price of a printer, inks and paper. Qimage is cheap enough.

Feb 21, 2016 at 11:45 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Print processing - Qimage, Lightroom, etc

Yes, the cost of Qimage pales in comparison to the outlandish cost of ink and all the other printer 'accessories', not the least of which is time & effort to 'get it right'. My friend thought I nuts for buying a $90 box of paper off someone on Craigslist until I told him it was originally priced at $220.

Feb 21, 2016 at 12:15 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Print processing - Qimage, Lightroom, etc

howardm4 wrote:
Yes, the cost of Qimage pales in comparison to the outlandish cost of ink and all the other printer 'accessories', not the least of which is time & effort to 'get it right'. My friend thought I nuts for buying a $90 box of paper off someone on Craigslist until I told him it was originally priced at $220.

It is a bit more expensive for a Mac user: $69 for Qimage, $79 for Parallels, and $110 for Win 10. So together, for a Mac user, more than the price of Lightroom or Photoshop Elements.

Brian A

Feb 21, 2016 at 01:24 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Print processing - Qimage, Lightroom, etc

There is a *free* (as in beer) virtualizer called Virtualbox that means you dont need Parallels/Fusion if you wish but yes, you would still need a Win license.

Feb 21, 2016 at 02:02 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Print processing - Qimage, Lightroom, etc

Qimage works with a single image file to produce optimum prints for every size. i.e. you start with your full size image file, process it in Qimage and print it from within Qimage.

Other software works best with a separate image file for each print size - i.e. you decide what number of pixels your print requires, create an image file of that size, process it accordingly, and then print it.

Qimage was intended to not only work well, but also cut down on the number of separate print files you might need to create and maintain for different size prints.

Feb 22, 2016 at 06:02 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.