New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · America's Packard Museum

NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · America's Packard Museum

When people think of museums in Dayton, Ohio, their first thought goes to the National Museum of the United States Air Force. However, Dayton is home to many other museums as well. Last November, for my invitational speech in my public speaking class, I discussed the various museums around town, but invited everyone to visit America's Packard Museum, also known as The Citizens Motorcar Company, located in the original Packard Dealership Building which was built in 1917

I learned from one of the docents that Packard Car Company got its start when the two brothers had driven from their home in Warren, Ohio, to Cleveland, Ohio, in the late 1800’s, to purchase a car and drive it home from there. On the way home, the car had several mechanical problems, so the brothers turned around and went back to the dealership they had purchased their car from to complain. They were told “if you can build a better car, go ahead and do it.”

© NightOwl Cat 2016

Appeared in Curious Case of Benjamin Button

© NightOwl Cat 2016

Appeared in Curious Case of Benjamin Button

© NightOwl Cat 2016

The sign was found in the basement, intact, when the building was purchased in 1992. It was cleaned and hung back outside.

© NightOwl Cat 2016

© NightOwl Cat 2016

Feb 18, 2016 at 08:42 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · America's Packard Museum

Other cars have appeared in movies such as “The Godfather” and another was owned by Perry Como. When you walk into this museum, you get the feeling you have stepped in to a time machine, transporting you back to the era when these magnificent vehicles were in production.

© NightOwl Cat 2016

© NightOwl Cat 2016

© NightOwl Cat 2016

© NightOwl Cat 2016

© NightOwl Cat 2016

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:00 PM
Lightsearcher
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · America's Packard Museum

Very nice cars and pictures.

I would love to visit that museum one day.

Thank you for posting.

Marcelo

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:25 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · America's Packard Museum

few more, for now

© NightOwl Cat 2016

© NightOwl Cat 2016

© NightOwl Cat 2016

© NightOwl Cat 2016

© NightOwl Cat 2016

Feb 20, 2016 at 10:12 AM
Bryston3bsst
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · America's Packard Museum

I'm bummed out. I lived in Cincinnati for many years and never knew of this. I would loved to have seen it.

Some gorgeous cars.

You don't live that far away so if you have not already, take a run up to the Auburn Museum in Auburn, IN. It's just like this in that the 'new' cars are on display in the factory showroom, There were no dealers in the late 1920s, you purchased your new car right from the factory.

Great pictures.

Feb 20, 2016 at 11:35 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · America's Packard Museum

Thanks Marcello, there are quite a few different museums here. I was surprised, too. There's another museum/historical area that I keep meaning to visit, perhaps within the next two weeks I'll make it there

Feb 21, 2016 at 09:05 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · America's Packard Museum

Thanks for the tip Bob, I'll have to make a day of it this summer. Nice thing about the photos in the presentations during class is that I could give myself credit for the photos. And the look during the first speech when I pulled out the D3 with Chubby attached... priceless!

Feb 21, 2016 at 09:07 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.