New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Using columns to compare several items

surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Using columns to compare several items

I want to compare 3 similar items and had hoped to use columns so that I could put the same spec for each item side by side. I'm using Open Office Org, (similar to word, but free). It didn't work - the formatting was screwed up. Is there a way to do this?
Thanx,
Ron

Feb 18, 2016 at 03:00 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Using columns to compare several items

I'm assuming you are using tables since you mention Word, and not the spreadsheet function. There's lots of documentation of formatting Open Office Tables in the online Wiki.

Feb 18, 2016 at 04:11 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Using columns to compare several items

DanBrown wrote:
I'm assuming you are using tables since you mention Word, and not the spreadsheet function. There's lots of documentation of formatting Open Office Tables in the online Wiki.

Thanx Dan. I,m not using tables - should I be? Could a table be imported to an FM post? All I'm doing is tabbing over to the same spot to create each column ~ Ron

Feb 18, 2016 at 04:40 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Using columns to compare several items

Tables are the easiest way to incorporate columns in a Word document. I don't think you can import a table into an FM post. If it was small enough, you could do a screen capture and post it as an image, however.

Feb 18, 2016 at 04:56 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Using columns to compare several items

surfnron wrote:
I want to compare 3 similar items and had hoped to use columns so that I could put the same spec for each item side by side. I'm using Open Office Org, (similar to word, but free). It didn't work - the formatting was screwed up. Is there a way to do this?
Thanx,
Ron

I'd use Excel.

Lens$db, http://tinyurl.com/jcolwell-lensdb

Feb 18, 2016 at 08:09 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Using columns to compare several items

Thanx Jim, but I have no use for Excel other than this project, so I'm not going to invest ans money on another program ~ Ron

Feb 18, 2016 at 08:19 PM
jancohen
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Using columns to compare several items

Bear with me, I'm testing this:

[table]
[tr]
[td]table 1[/td]
[td]table 2[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]table 3[/td]
[td]table 4[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Edited: too bad, it's BBCode that's supposed to work where the setup for it has been made available.

Feb 18, 2016 at 08:20 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Using columns to compare several items

You could use a simple text editor, with tabs. Of course, you couldn't control formatting of items within their "columns", but it wouldn't cost much.

Feb 18, 2016 at 08:35 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Using columns to compare several items

jcolwell wrote:
I'd use Excel.

Yep.

surfnron wrote:
Thanx Jim, but I have no use for Excel other than this project, so I'm not going to invest ans money on another program ~ Ron

Human life should not have been possible before spreadsheets. That's the biggest reason we know God exists.

The second reason - and the biggest reason we know He is a benevolent God, is that He finally gave us spreadsheets.

Seriously, Ron... and you can begin with Open Office's free Calc program or this free spreadsheet utility from Google docs: https://www.google.com/sheets/about/

Sooo many ways they can be helpful. Tabs are the worst way to do what you want. Word tables are slightly better. A spreadsheet is heavenly and effortless to get started with. Far easier for what you want to do than text editors or word processors and with zero knowledge. Just open the sheet and start typing.

As you learn more (if you choose to - totally optional), there are countless ways to sort, study, compare the data, etc. But you can do your thing, right now, with no thought or training whatsoever.

A year from now when you're feeling so grateful for the push, remember that Jim likes roses, I like truffles.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Chuck

As an example of the screenshot approach Dan suggests, last night I was looking over specs for a new laptop and pulled this data in from the web to see the same sort of thing you're doing...

Feb 19, 2016 at 02:07 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Using columns to compare several items

Thanx all - I wound up using "google sheets". Windows has a tool called the "Snipping Tool", and that's what I used to capture the doc as a jpeg. When I post the doc I will put a link here so that you can see what your excellent help produced ~ Ron

Feb 20, 2016 at 09:48 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Using columns to compare several items

Thanx again for the help. Here's a link to the doc I created ~ Ron

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1414853/0#13429159

Feb 20, 2016 at 10:12 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.