Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Storage other than an external drive?

pixlepeeper
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Storage other than an external drive?

I have two external hard drives that I use for storage and backup. One of them (which is actually a laptop hard drive turned into an external drive) is running out of space and I'm thinking of getting a new one. But wanted to see what other storage typed people use. I looked into RAID but don't see much of a benefit to it.

One problem with my storage and backup setup is that the two drives are kept about 20 feet from each other so the system is not really robust.

Feb 17, 2016 at 09:57 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Storage other than an external drive?

I'll try and keep this short.

What size are the drives you have that are filling up? 1TB, 2TB?

Is your workplace secure? Do you have family/relatives living in your city that you see often?

Feb 17, 2016 at 10:23 AM
mikejl29
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Storage other than an external drive?

Live your life by these numbers: 3-2-1. Three copies of your data, two on-site, one off-site.

There are different levels of RAID, easy enough to Google the differences so I won't bother repeating. RAID5 gives you an added layer in one of those copies of your data, because it allows you to combine multiple drives into a much larger volume, but can rebuild itself if one of those drives should fail. For example, a 4-drive RAID5 array made of 2TB drives gives you about 6TB of useable space, and can rebuild itself should any one of those 4 drives fail.

Feb 17, 2016 at 10:32 AM
pixlepeeper
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Storage other than an external drive?

One 1TB (holds other files as well as photos) and the other just 350MB. I've been shooting RAW and have been taking many more photos recently so my storage needs increased dramatically.

My place is pretty secure but it can catch fire nonetheless, or a hard drive may slip out of my hand and...

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:57 PM
AceCo55

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Storage other than an external drive?

mikejl29 wrote:
Live your life by these numbers: 3-2-1. Three copies of your data, two on-site, one off-site.

+1 to this. I buy external hard drives in sets of three.
Each set has the same data on it. Two are kept at home and the third copy is left at work.

I have 15 external hard drives:
Sports photos - two sets = 6 drives
My Documents - 1 set = 3 drives
My personal/family photos - 1 set = 3 drives
My videos - 1 set = 3 drives

Feb 18, 2016 at 03:17 AM
pixlepeeper
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Storage other than an external drive?

Godd idea! My workplace is very very safe.

Feb 18, 2016 at 07:57 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Storage other than an external drive?

Do you want a backup or an archive? It's worth thinking about this because a backup is generally a copy of the data that you "refresh" with changes, and overwrite the old files when you update. This means that if you get a corrupted file, it will propagate through your backups quite quickly and you will lose that data.

An archive on the other hand should be written once, with no ability to delete or overwrite files. It's less convenient perhaps, but you reduce the chances of losing data.

Feb 18, 2016 at 11:34 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.