Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · How do you tell Canon FD and new FD lenses apart?

bvphotos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How do you tell Canon FD and new FD lenses apart?

I believe there's a subtle difference in the mount. So how do you tell them apart?

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:31 AM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How do you tell Canon FD and new FD lenses apart?

It's pretty obvious - FD (original) has the silver breechlock, the new FD has no breechlock, just a little knob and is black at the bayonet side.

Feb 17, 2016 at 01:45 AM
pinholecam
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How do you tell Canon FD and new FD lenses apart?

The FD has a breech mount ring (a large silver colored ring).
The FDn has a rectangular button and no large silver breech mount ring.
Though they use the same mount, they mount on very differently.

The FD is cumbersome to mount. (mounts like a Mamiy aRB67)
The FDn mounts like a modern bayonet mount lens.

Feb 17, 2016 at 01:46 AM
Atlasman2
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How do you tell Canon FD and new FD lenses apart?

Here's a pic of the two

FD 50mm f1.4 and FDn 50mm f1.8

Feb 17, 2016 at 06:39 AM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How do you tell Canon FD and new FD lenses apart?

Try mounting one of each sometime. The one that you end up throwing out the window due to frustration is the old FD "Breech Lock" lens. The one that mounts like a modern SLR lens is the FDn and will likely survive the experiment relatively unharmed.

Feb 17, 2016 at 09:24 AM
zipcode

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How do you tell Canon FD and new FD lenses apart?

Nothing wrong with the old breeches tbh. Fairly similar except it doesn't click in place by rotating, you just rotate the ring until it's secure.

Now I have an extension of this question. I have various third party lenses for fd mount and they are all in breechlock format (the ring is usually black however). Are there third party for the nFD as well with the clicking button?

Feb 17, 2016 at 09:55 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How do you tell Canon FD and new FD lenses apart?

The old Breechlock mount is actually as I recall, stronger than the new FD mount. The Breechlock locking of the lens to the camera would just get tighter and tighter as it wore and was used. Also, if the lens was only partially tightened on the camera it would still hold to the camera body. The breechlock would turn on its own. The new FD mount that could loosen and was potentially not as sure to grab the camera body. In fact, many of us using the Canon system at the time (including myself a little later) dumped our Canon F1, EF, FTbn camera systems with the introduction of the new FD mount for these reasons.

Rich

Edited on Feb 17, 2016 at 02:13 PM · View previous versions

Feb 17, 2016 at 11:11 AM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How do you tell Canon FD and new FD lenses apart?

zipcode wrote:
Nothing wrong with the old breeches tbh. Fairly similar except it doesn't click in place by rotating, you just rotate the ring until it's secure.

Now I have an extension of this question. I have various third party lenses for fd mount and they are all in breechlock format (the ring is usually black however). Are there third party for the nFD as well with the clicking button?

I've never seen one myself. I have a few third party FD lenses, all have a breechlock like the older FD lenses.

Feb 17, 2016 at 01:11 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How do you tell Canon FD and new FD lenses apart?

I too have only seen third party lenses in breech lock form.

Feb 17, 2016 at 01:39 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How do you tell Canon FD and new FD lenses apart?

I prefer the old mounts. I had an 85 1.2 aspherical and still have a 55 1.2 aspherical and several other old mount lenses.

Feb 17, 2016 at 01:46 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How do you tell Canon FD and new FD lenses apart?

matthewm wrote:
Try mounting one of each sometime. The one that you end up throwing out the window due to frustration is the old FD "Breech Lock" lens. The one that mounts like a modern SLR lens is the FDn and will likely survive the experiment relatively unharmed.

This is not my experience - the old lock nicely locks into the FD mount - just pushing a bit the lens with the red mark into the red mark at the camera body rotates the metal ring automatically into lock position - that's it! The newer FDn lenses don't do this, the "plastic fantastic" mount is not better at all.

Feb 17, 2016 at 02:11 PM
Mike Ganz
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How do you tell Canon FD and new FD lenses apart?

As stated, the older Canon FD mount has the silver breech lock ring, the FDn does not (I say 'Canon' because every 3rd party FD lens I've tried had a black breech lock ring). I don't see any problems or difficulty in mounting either type, and I really don't have a preference as long as the lens does what it's supposed to do. But if I were forced to make a preference, I'd go with the older FD lenses...they seem more robust, at least to me.

Feb 17, 2016 at 02:15 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How do you tell Canon FD and new FD lenses apart?

There's a handy list and pics of all of them (by series) in the Canon Museum Lens Hall

http://www.canon.com/c-museum/en/lens-series.html

Feb 17, 2016 at 03:34 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How do you tell Canon FD and new FD lenses apart?

My take: nFD is lighter but lots of plastic. FD build is better, but much heavier. nFD there is no ring that turns you forgot which way .

Feb 17, 2016 at 04:56 PM
Atlasman2
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How do you tell Canon FD and new FD lenses apart?

I have the 24mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, and 85mm f1.8 in the breach lock and would prefer the FDn mount. Mounting and unmounting a lens requires that added step of checking the ring—I can see why Canon changed it.

Feb 18, 2016 at 07:21 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How do you tell Canon FD and new FD lenses apart?

The original FD mount lenses are all bigger and heavier, as they seem to have a much more robust/solid build. Similar to Nikon pre-AI vs AI(S) lenses.
I prefer nFD because the handling is better, the lenses are lighter, they LOOK better, and presumably at least some of them would have updated coatings vs the older versions.

Feb 18, 2016 at 03:35 PM
mqqse
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How do you tell Canon FD and new FD lenses apart?

Slightly off topic, but thought this thread might be close enough.....

Recently acquired 50mm 1.8 breech lock and 24mm 2.8 fdn and both lenses don't want to focus on either of my adapters. The 24mm will focus some, but nothing under 3' or so. Any ideas? I have another 50mm 1.8 fdn and used it without any problems. I've been mount g these on the 5D3.

Sep 01, 2016 at 08:22 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How do you tell Canon FD and new FD lenses apart?

mqqse wrote:

Recently acquired 50mm 1.8 breech lock and 24mm 2.8 fdn and both lenses don't want to focus on either of my adapters.

You have to turn the focus ring, there is no autofocus. I assume you know this, just adding it to be sure.

The 24mm will focus some, but nothing under 3' or so. Any ideas?
The registration depth of FD is less than EF, without modifying the mount, all you will get is a focus range that has shifted closer, like when adding extension tubes.

I have another 50mm 1.8 fdn and used it without any problems. I've been mounting these on the 5D3.
Does the lens reach minimum focus distance and infinity? I have a feeling it's been modified so that it can reach infinity at the expense of MFD.

Sep 02, 2016 at 01:05 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How do you tell Canon FD and new FD lenses apart?

mqqse wrote:

Recently acquired 50mm 1.8 breech lock and 24mm 2.8 fdn and both lenses don't want to focus on either of my adapters. The 24mm will focus some, but nothing under 3' or so. Any ideas? I have another 50mm 1.8 fdn and used it without any problems. I've been mount g these on the 5D3.

The FDs won't focus to infinity on EF cameras without an optical adapter. Simular to this one (from Amazon):

http://www.amazon.com/Albinar-Mount-Adapter-Canon-Infinity/dp/B001D8X72G

It's basicaly a one element TC. YMMV! Most folks use them with non optical adapters for macro or on MILCs.

Edit: The TC factor is about 1.3x.

Sep 02, 2016 at 02:19 AM
mqqse
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How do you tell Canon FD and new FD lenses apart?

I have an adapter with glass and one without, but still can't focus, it's weird. The 50mm 1.8 has become an interesting macro though.

Sep 04, 2016 at 10:22 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.