Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Morikami I

Getting no love

Feb 17, 2016 at 08:52 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Morikami I

Well.... I give it credit for holding my attention the several times that I have viewed this image trying to figure out what the heck I must be missing.

I must admit that I just don't get it on this one Scott.

I got nothin., sorry. I'll give ya a hug though if it helps!

Feb 17, 2016 at 09:40 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Morikami I

I think the near rails are OOF and are distracting. They are not completely OOF nor completely in focus and that is the problem.

Maji

Feb 17, 2016 at 11:59 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Morikami I

So, my goal here, not realized, was to capture the simplicity of the scene, play of relatively simple geometries, light and warmth of the scene. I struggled with finding a composition that minimizes or at least best aligns the vertical bars which I feel are a bit too much/distracting.
As always, I appreciate the honest feedback, reactions and much prefer hearing negatives to hearing nothing. Thanks to both of you for responding.
Maji, I agree about the DOF/focus issues detracting.

I will see if I have anything else technically better, but I suspect the composition is just too challenged.

Thanks
Scott

Feb 18, 2016 at 10:21 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Morikami I

For a scene with "simplicity" and geometrical shapes, try black and white. If the B&W does not work, you probably missed the intended outcome. A simple, in field, test is to squint to approximate a B&W conversion.

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:08 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Morikami I

Scott, I think the harsh light / shadows might be killing the minimal vibe you were trying to get.
This could be achieved if shot in much softer light with no shadows. Agree with Jim's B&W suggestion to help "simplify" it even further.

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:24 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Morikami I

Scott,

Apologies for missing this one! One of those situations where I see it on the phone and then forget to comment on the computer.

The lack of a true focal point is what is getting me here. The foreground bars are OOF and the background has a lot of shade cover. A lot of the verticals seem to share the same lines so there isn't as much separation as I'd like to see.

I tried mono and it worsened separation because the tonality wasn't different enough.

I like the concept but I think the execution missed the marked here.

Cheers!

Jeff

Feb 18, 2016 at 01:28 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Morikami I

I very much like the composition and geometries of this photo. As others have said, the lighting is problematic and detrimental to your intentions.

Any other interesting photos from the Morikami Gardens?

Steve

Feb 19, 2016 at 08:47 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.