Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Zeiss 100 Makro-Planar "Milvus" - First Impressions

bigoak

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zeiss 100 Makro-Planar "Milvus" - First Impressions

Just traded a few lenses for this monster. Not a fan of the finish (fingerprint magnet), but this is my favorite Zeiss so far. This is my 3rd Zeiss prime, and compared to the "classic" distagons i have, the focus throw feels less dampened, yet somehow more smooth. Unlike some of the other macros, this lens extends quite a bit from MFD to infinity. It has a scale ranging from 1:10 to 1:2 (max magnification) on the barrel as it extends.

Having owned the Tamron 180 Macro, the amount of microcontrast and detail from wide open and on is astounding. 18" MFD is more than enough to really bring out fine details. Wide open, the falloff from focal plane to out of focus areas readily brings out the "3D" effect that attracts me to this manufacturer.

I'll shoot some more images when I get some breathing room at work.

Tremendous work of glass.

Price paid: 1649.00 Euro (minus trade-in glass).

Canon 6D/Zeiss 100mm Milvus MP/F5.6/30s/ISO100

Feb 16, 2016 at 02:31 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zeiss 100 Makro-Planar "Milvus" - First Impressions

Well, f5.6 doesn't give it much DOF to show us what it can do. You really need at least f11 for most macro.

Which Tamron 180? By coincidence, I am just looking at the performance of my 180 35th Anniversary Edition, seeing what it does on my Olympus EM-1 and Sony Alpha 7R. Unfortunately, I was not using RAW files on the Sony (new last week) when I thought I was, so more to be done. So far, the detail in extreme crops of distant brick work is very encouraging. This is at f11 and, its best resolution, f8.

Harold

Feb 16, 2016 at 03:46 AM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zeiss 100 Makro-Planar "Milvus" - First Impressions

Hard to get a feel for the color and contrast that the glass is capable of since I don't know what the quality of the light source was, or if there was any in camera (or in post) processing of the image. As a frame of reference I shoot with my camera set to "neutral" with no in camera changes to contrast, saturation, and sharpness. Makes it easier for me to work on my lighting since I can see what affect the light is having on my images.

Edit: Now you have me searching for a Zeiss lens in the 60mm range that has internal focusing

Feb 16, 2016 at 04:59 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.