New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Lofoten Norway Advice & Tips May 2016

nampramos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lofoten Norway Advice & Tips May 2016

Hello everyone!

Just booked flights from Stockholm to Kiruna for May 3 to May 8.
We are 5 people and none of us have ever been to Lofoten before.

Question 1: Where to camp the first night on our way from Kiruna to Lofoten? It is about 2 hours drive to the boarder Sweden/Norway, which we will probably be crossing at about 5 pm. How much further should we drive until we set up our tents? Would be great to have a scenic spot with possibility for good astrophotography (weather dependent obviously).

Question 2: It is a little over 300 KM from the boarder to Lofoten (about 5 hour drive if you do not stop). We do not want to do it all in one day and would prefer to divide our days into shorter drives until we reach Lofoten. On the way there, we would like to do some good hikes and camp at some scenic points for the night. Maybe one night higher up on a mountain and other nights by the beach.

Question 3: What villages are worth stopping at?

Question 4: For those that have been there, what are the must-do things in your opinion and what did you wish you had done?

Any other information is very welcome. There is still plenty of time until the trip but I would like to plan as much as possible in advance and have several possibilites for each day that would fit different weather conditions.

Thank you!

Feb 15, 2016 at 03:15 PM
nampramos
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lofoten Norway Advice & Tips May 2016

Spam bot?

Feb 23, 2016 at 05:12 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lofoten Norway Advice & Tips May 2016

I think I would either stop shortly after Kiruna or drive all the way directly to the Lofoten. The most interesting places inbetween are in my opinion the Abisko NP with it's lovely canyon and the area at the border between Sweden and Norway. A very lovely valley is the Kärkevagge (close to Abisko). But all these places are rather close to Kiruna.

Boris

Feb 24, 2016 at 01:33 PM
nampramos
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lofoten Norway Advice & Tips May 2016

Thank you Boris! I will have a look at it!

More suggestions are welcome!

Mar 02, 2016 at 06:25 PM
Carl0202

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lofoten Norway Advice & Tips May 2016

In May, I would drive on to Narvik and stay there in a nice hotel. You probably know that May isn't summer in northern Norway (and hardly spring). Consider following the E6 south of the Vestfjorden and cross it on a ferry towards Svolvær the next day.

Before taking the ferry, you might want to explore nature a bit - there is a mountain up there that faschinates the locals (google Stetind) but you need a map and walking boots to get good pictures.

There's more than one ferry option, but some may still be winter closed in May. If you find one that stops halfways at the fishing village island of Skrova, you wouldwant to stop there.

I wold stop for the night in Svolvær (btw, google Svolværgeita which is the steep mountain above the village). You could jump on the northbound Coastal Steamer (Hurtigruten) for a few hours or more, taking the southbound one back. Remember to bring a lot af memory cards in that case.

From Svolvær and westwards you should stop often. You can easily rent a boathouse cabin - rorbu - without a resevation in May. The road ends in Å, at the camping site there. You could look for a boat going to Røst and Utvær, small islands far off the coast in the Atlantic.

Going back could be on the north side of Vestfjorden all the way to Narvik (there's one ferry ride) and onwards to Sweden. Or aim you GPS at Tromsø and enjoy the scenery, while regretting that you flew to Kiruna rather than Bodø, Evenes or Tromsø airports that are much closer to Lofoten.

Mar 04, 2016 at 03:41 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.