New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Glasses in the bar

Nexed
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Glasses in the bar

I saw this arrangement of glasses in the local bar and was very taken by it. Luckily, I had taken my camera with me that day, so I was able to take some shots. I used the A6000 with a Minolta MD 50mm at f/1.7 and the Zhongyi lens turbo to capture as much light as possible. I focussed on the front of the foremost cocktail glass, and wide open, there's pretty dramatic falloff of focus. I think the color version looks too busy, so I did a B/W conversion. I'm posting both the final B/W version and the color version.

I would really appreciate comments on the composition, focus, processing etc. I can always go back and shoot this again, so what do you think needs to be done to make this a "wow" shot? Thanks!

© Nexed

© Nexed

Feb 15, 2016 at 03:00 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Glasses in the bar

Nexed - it all depends on what you're going for: are up looking to end up with a more painterly rendition (which I think you've done quite nicely) or something more sharp/accurate?

I'd say that you might want to increase your DOF and take some off the right hand side. As you side, the focus falls off pretty quickly.

I do prefer that the mono conversion doesn't have the distracting green/purple flareups.

If going for something more accurate you're gonna want to check your focus on this one.

Cheers!

Jeff

Feb 15, 2016 at 03:12 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Glasses in the bar

+1 @ the mono. If you could shoot this again I think I might recompose the shot to shoot straight down between one of the rows such that the glasses become walls on either side f the frame.

Another +1 @ increasing your DOF more such that you get at least the fist few glasses in focus. I think I'm seeing a good bit of motion blur here so if you're going for sharp then I would use what ever you can to stabilize your rig.

Have fun with it and drink a cold one for me.
After you make the shot that is. One should never drink while shooting.

Dave

Feb 15, 2016 at 03:30 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Glasses in the bar

+1 @ mono.

A few things come to mind on this one for me.

First, the amount of reflections are very busy / distracting. On one hand I can really dig some killer bokeh, but here I think there are some many reflections that I'm wondering if the dof / bokeh of them isn't causing them to "grow" so much that they are competing too heavily.

Then, as the others have mentioned, there seems to need to be a nexus or focus point more clearly defined. I get the fact that you were shooting wide open @ low light (guessing wide open lens = not sharp, even @ point of focus). I'm thinking your focal point was likely fine, but it's likely not at your glass (1.7 + Zhongy) strong suit, so stopping down a bit can help with that. Of course, stopping down, then means two things 1) diff DOF, and 2) slower shutter speed needed.

As to 1) @ DOF, I think it won't be that drastic of an issue since you are shooting at close distance to your nearest subject of focus. That, and it might help with reducing the size of your reflections.

As to 2) @ shutter ... that might be a game changer for hand held and then a need for supported work (i.e. tripod, etc.). The good news there is that once you commit to shooting it supported ... you can change your ISO from 1600 down to 100 as this is a static / still life shot.

Took a stab at some things. Nothing dramatically different, but maybe a touch of diff @ where the eye draws, as I tried to tone down (edge def / tonal value) the draw to the reflections.

Feb 16, 2016 at 06:31 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Glasses in the bar

Nice edit Kent.

Feb 16, 2016 at 08:41 AM
Nexed
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Glasses in the bar

Thanks for all the great advice, guys! Really helped with this. I'm going back this weekend, and I'm hoping to do it early enough that I can convince the bartender to let me set up my tripod by the bar without crowding out his customers. Lets see. Even without that, I'm going to stop down, and try a few different angles.

Meanwhile, I liked the edit RustyBug did, so I tried to redo something like it with the original image. Upped clarity a lot on LR, and reduced the reds, oranges and yellows in the B/W mix, because they dominated the bokeh. The increased focus on the front glass definitely helps the shot, and I'm going to aim for that when I go back to this shot.

© Nexed

Feb 16, 2016 at 04:34 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Glasses in the bar

Thanks, glad you like it.

Looking forward to seeing the reshoot. Dave's idea sounds interesting too.

Feb 16, 2016 at 09:46 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.