Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 1/3, 1/2 or 1/1 increments - what do you use?

falconbach
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1/3, 1/2 or 1/1 increments - what do you use?

I'm doing lot of dog photography (action) and I have been using 1/3 increment for shutter/aperture/iso but I'm finding little bit too slow because sometimes the dog stops and then I want to put my camera (Nikon D800) into more portrait kind of setting (lower everything) and I find that needing to change it all in 1/3 increments are too slow for that. So it made me wonder what increments you are using for your sports photography.

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:18 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1/3, 1/2 or 1/1 increments - what do you use?

I am not understanding. Just turn the rotation wheel faster, no? Or figure for the fastest shutter that you need for action and if the dog stops, so be it. I guess, I'm just not understanding. In case you're wondering, for me, I see no point in not taking full advantage of 1/3 increments. Lots of times, I need those tweeners to dial in perfectly.

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:32 PM
falconbach
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1/3, 1/2 or 1/1 increments - what do you use?

I want to have the "portrait" shoots in optimal quality also, which means lower ISO. I'm in Iceland so for action you often need to be at 800-1600+ ISO because at this time of year the sun is low on the horizon.

Feb 14, 2016 at 01:32 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1/3, 1/2 or 1/1 increments - what do you use?

Which camera body do you use? On my Nikon, I shoot auto ISO, so if I dial down the shutter on the fly, the ISO will drop as well. Either way though, 1/3 increments ALWAYS on every shoot no matter what the type. I can't see any advantages in using anything else.

Feb 14, 2016 at 03:55 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1/3, 1/2 or 1/1 increments - what do you use?

falconbach wrote:
I want to have the "portrait" shoots in optimal quality also, which means lower ISO. I'm in Iceland so for action you often need to be at 800-1600+ ISO because at this time of year the sun is low on the horizon.

I also use auto ISO (Canon) for sports

Feb 14, 2016 at 05:48 PM
chip_master
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1/3, 1/2 or 1/1 increments - what do you use?

Wouldn't one want the ability to control at the smallest step. I know the DR of today's cameras are so good the difference between a 1/3 1/2 is almost in the noise Not sure I'd want to make a full stop change and be off by more than 1/2 stop.

Like the earlier poster at least with my camera I just turn the wheel one more click to get 2/3 versus one click for 1/2 stop or 3 clicks for a stop versus one, doesn't seem like that would take more than a tenth of a second, no?

Feb 14, 2016 at 07:14 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1/3, 1/2 or 1/1 increments - what do you use?

While not familiar with Nikon, on my 1DX I have three programable custom functions. Each with it's own SS, AP ISO, etc. I push one definable button to toggle between them. Hopefully Nikon has something similar?

Feb 15, 2016 at 09:13 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1/3, 1/2 or 1/1 increments - what do you use?

I don't shoot much sports, but for action I might set it on a high enough ss, on Tv, then let the aperture move around. A low ss affects iq a lot more than a wide open lens. And often, wide open looks nice, although I like f/8 too, sometimes more than wide open.

I use manual less than 10% of the time. Maybe way less than 10%.

I don't have trouble with iso 800 on older aps cameras, you shouldn't have any on a D800, and 1600 should be nice.

Facial expressions and composition are more important than minimally higher quality of lower iso.

If you want less dof, use faster ss, which should be fairly quick.

Feb 15, 2016 at 12:13 PM
daniel4

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1/3, 1/2 or 1/1 increments - what do you use?

For my quick-running kids I use Manual, auto ISO, full stop adjustment.

1/60s if they're still, 1/125s for light movement, 1/250s fast, 1/500s if enough light.

I can hardly discern less than a stop in aperture by looking at the bokeh.

Feb 18, 2016 at 02:58 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1/3, 1/2 or 1/1 increments - what do you use?

OP seems to be MIA

Feb 18, 2016 at 04:26 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.