FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              11      
       end

Archive 2016 · Full Frame Pentax K-1

Sam_W
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #1 · p.12 #1 · Full Frame Pentax K-1

Question for those that have owned Pentax bodies before: how easy it is to do a mirror shave on one? Do their mirrors tend to be removable (without full disassembly surgery)?

Feb 27, 2016 at 02:57 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.12 #2 · p.12 #2 · Full Frame Pentax K-1

Sam_W wrote:
Question for those that have owned Pentax bodies before: how easy it is to do a mirror shave on one? Do their mirrors tend to be removable (without full disassembly surgery)?

The K1 mirror is a new design and unique compared to past Pentax DSLR's. I believe I read it's a sliding type design. Perhaps it's similar to the unique Sony A900 mirror but I don't know.

Feb 27, 2016 at 07:57 PM
Sam_W
• •
p.12 #3 · p.12 #3 · Full Frame Pentax K-1

Tariq Gibran wrote:
The K1 mirror is a new design and unique compared to past Pentax DSLR's. I believe I read it's a sliding type design. Perhaps it's similar to the unique Sony A900 mirror but I don't know.

Indeed. As per http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-1/feature/04.html , it slides back and up, which will be fantastic for deeper-recessed glass.

Feb 27, 2016 at 11:55 PM
vagrant10

p.12 #4 · p.12 #4 · Full Frame Pentax K-1

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I have a bunch of Pentax 50's, including a few Macro's. The FA 50/2.8 Macro is very good and cheap (I think I paid around $200 for mine about a year back) but it is quite heavy/ largish - and of course it's only F2.8.

I suspect you would likely be very happy with the Pentax 50/1.4's. The AF Petnax F 50/1.4 I believe is one of the best 50's tested on the older Photodo site (it's a fairly hard lens to find vs the FA). For some reason, the later FA 50, which I believe is optically the
...Show more

I have the k50 f1.2, m50 f1.7, FA50 f1.4, DA*55 f1.4, DA50 f1.8 and DFA 50 F2.8 macro along with the Voigtlander Nocton and some other legacy glass (Helios, Mamia Sekor, Taks) - honestly, I'm looking forward to playing with all of them.

I've heard the DA* and DA work great on the K1 so auto focus is covered and at least the DA* is weather resistant. But this is a fantastic portrait lens and I use mine a ton - great microcontrast, nice bokeh and it's quite flattering.

I'm looking forward to the other lens releases they have over the next year. Just a few areas that would be great to have high quality and hopefully WR options.

Feb 29, 2016 at 05:46 AM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.12 #5 · p.12 #5 · Full Frame Pentax K-1

For the record, the 43 Ltd is one of my favorite lenses of all time. Not critically sharp but great rendering and I love the focal length.

Feb 29, 2016 at 05:30 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.12 #6 · p.12 #6 · Full Frame Pentax K-1

Now that is a smart idea! A mount-assist light. Go, Pentax, go!

http://us.ricoh-imaging.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/K-1_P9_assistlight_mount_1_on-400x267.png

Mar 01, 2016 at 03:41 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #7 · p.12 #7 · Full Frame Pentax K-1

douglasf13 wrote:
Crap, as others said, it's the spiritual successor to the A900, which I miss. I'm probably going to have to bite.

That's pretty much how it's looking to me, too.

The lens selection choices may be a bit limiting compared to certain other lineups, but I think with a little "out of the box" perspective on the lineup to be assembled, it could serve.

Ironically, for all the talk about Pentax being "late to the party" ... ummm, they still have been the first to produce something that neither Sony, nor Canon, nor Nikon have done yet: FF with articulating screen and OVF (+ some other camera fundamentals like dual card, weather seal, etc. and gadgets like astro / pixel shift / IBIS, etc.) that supports their native mount without the use of adapters.

Granted, the ability to use adapted lenses is much more restrictive than the E mount bodies ... but, compared to the limitations of the Sony Alpha mount (i.e. the A99 FF with articulating), its restrictions aren't as radically different that it might be when compared to the Sony E mount.

For the die-hard mirrorless fans ... nothing here to see. For others, there just might be something to consider.

Mar 01, 2016 at 08:31 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.12 #8 · p.12 #8 · Full Frame Pentax K-1

I agree with a lot of what you say, Rusty, but Nikon produced a FF camera with an articulating screen in the D750.

Mar 02, 2016 at 02:25 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.12 #9 · p.12 #9 · Full Frame Pentax K-1

deadwolfbones wrote:
I agree with a lot of what you say, Rusty, but Nikon produced a FF camera with an articulating screen in the D750.

Tilting is not the same as articulating.

Which I suppose the K-1 is limited articulation ... vs fully articulating.

Mar 02, 2016 at 01:41 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.12 #10 · p.12 #10 · Full Frame Pentax K-1

Fair enough.

Mar 02, 2016 at 02:18 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.12 #11 · p.12 #11 · Full Frame Pentax K-1

RustyBug wrote:
Tilting is not the same as articulating.

Which I suppose the K-1 is limited articulation ... vs fully articulating.

Neither of which is of any use if you shoot verticals... so far only Sony, Olympus, and Canon have been innovative enough to offer fully articulated screens.

Mar 02, 2016 at 03:14 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.12 #12 · p.12 #12 · Full Frame Pentax K-1

molson wrote:
Neither of which is of any use if you shoot verticals... so far only Sony, Olympus, and Canon have been innovative enough to offer fully articulated screens.

OVF & FF ... this is the closest so far.

Mar 02, 2016 at 09:36 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.