New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Question about Phottix Odin and using various banks

graham_martin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question about Phottix Odin and using various banks

I have a question about using the 3 banks for 3 different speedlights. How would I set it up so that I can quickly switch back and forth between banks? For example, I want bank 1 & 2 to fire but not bank 3 but a few minutes later I want banks 1,2 & 3 to fire. Is there a quick way to do that? On my Strato II transmitter it was very easy to simply push the button on the different banks with, say, 1 & 2 turned on and 3 turned off. If I then wanted to also fire bank 3 it was very easy to quickly push in the bank 3 button. The Odin system doesn't seem to allow that functionality to be done quickly.

Feb 13, 2016 at 02:33 PM
ashton lamont
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question about Phottix Odin and using various banks

Yes you can do this with the Odin transmitter.

The key is to understand that you do not have to cycle through all the options when setting up or modifying - press On/Off at any time and you'll save your settings at that point.

To set up firstly you toggle the Opt button to switch between its TTL mode (which enables a ratio between two groups plus a change to the EV of 3 stops either way), and its full input mode (which enables control of 3 groups and within each group whether that group is in TTL mode [with 3 stops either way], or manual mode [with 1/1 through to 1/128th], or disabled.

So its the full input mode you want via its Opt toggle button.

Press the SEL button and Group A will flash. It defaults to TTL so if that what you want press the plus or minus buttons alongside to choose the amount of over or under EV you require.

Then, if you do not want to use Groups B or C just press the On/Off button and it will save your setting ready for use.

However if you DO want to set Groups B and C do NOT press the shortcut save On/Off button. Instead press the SEL button again and that will take you to Group B. Enter your EV and either save or press SEL again to take you to Group C. Once you've entered your Group C value either shortcut save or press SEL once more to take you to the Channel select option (choice of 4 channels).

If you wanted to enter manual values or to switch a Group off instead of entering TTL values: Having pressed SEL once to enter Group A then press the MODE button. This will cycle through TTL / manual/ disabled. Manual defaults to 1/128th. Once you've pressed SEL for the Group and pressed MODE to reach manual, press the plus or minus buttons to change your value. Again, press On/Off (red) button for a quick save and exit.

If at any point you get confused etc press the Clear button for several seconds and the values will revert to defaults.

Now to your specific question: For example you've set Group A to manual 1/8th, Group B to manual 1/32nd, and Group C to manual 1/128th.

Now you want to switch off Group C. Assuming Group C was the last group for which you entered values, Pressing SEL will select that group immediately. Once its flashing press MODE once and this will switch it off. Then press the red On/Off button for a quick save.

Now you want to switch Group C back on again. Press SEL and it will flash. Press MODE twice and it will cycle through TTL to manual. Then press the red On/Off for a quick save.

You do not have to press the red On/Off to save, the transmitter will save your settings after a few seconds anyway. Its quicker thats all.

A couple of things to be aware of:

Your flashguns must be on ETTL for the transmitter controls to have any effect. If they are on manual the transmitter will fire them but as a dumb trigger.

If you need High Speed Sync choose it on the transmitter not on the guns - setting on the actual gun is ineffective.

The TEST button on the transmitter causes two gun discharges. The first is a communication, the second comes 2.5 seconds later and is the full discharge at your selected output. Important to get the hang of this if using a light meter.

The transmitter goes to sleep relatively quickly - but it takes much longer to display "Idle" on its screen. I have two and they both go to sleep after about 23 seconds. To reactivate press your camera shutter button half way or similar otherwise the first firing with the Odins will not be accurate.

There is a new version of the ODIN just launched. See Flash Havoc for full details. The tranmitter looks easier to use - though the existing one is fine once you've used it a few times - though there are a few downsides with the newer system.

Pete

Feb 14, 2016 at 06:43 PM
graham_martin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question about Phottix Odin and using various banks

Thank you very much Pete. I am going to print out your post and start using it. So far as HSS is concerned, I have one of the earlier Odins which does not have the HSS button. According to the folks at Phottix, I have to set the HSS manualyy in camera. I have two Nikon bodies, and they both have that capability.

Feb 14, 2016 at 07:06 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.