New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Mini TT1 and Flex. What's the advantage

skasol
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mini TT1 and Flex. What's the advantage

Pretty much I am wondering if I should keep this or sell them. I wanted to use my Einstein and my canon 600's speed lights together but then realize to just build a strobe system and keep my speed lights for portability. Is there any advantage of keeping the mini and the flex over let's say paul c buff triggers? For my speed lights I will just buy the st trigger. Thank you for your help.

Feb 13, 2016 at 01:04 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mini TT1 and Flex. What's the advantage

I had both trigger systems (PW and PCB) until I sold my Einstein's. As "trigger-only" devices for my Einstein's, I didn't see anything that beat the price and reliability of the PCB triggers. I also had speedlights, so I kept (and still have) the PW Flex/Mini/AC3 system. I really like the AC3 because it can be used to make on-the-fly adjustments with the flick of a finger. YMMV.

Feb 14, 2016 at 10:38 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mini TT1 and Flex. What's the advantage

BigIronCruiser wrote:
I had both trigger systems (PW and PCB) until I sold my Einstein's. As "trigger-only" devices for my Einstein's, I didn't see anything that beat the price and reliability of the PCB triggers. I also had speedlights, so I kept (and still have) the PW Flex/Mini/AC3 system. I really like the AC3 because it can be used to make on-the-fly adjustments with the flick of a finger. YMMV.

Thank you. Why did you sell your Einstein? Without the ac3 and if I was to use only the pcb triggers would I not be able to make adjustments on the fly? Thanks again for your help

Feb 15, 2016 at 12:23 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mini TT1 and Flex. What's the advantage

Only you can answer that (how important is remote power control to you?) but you will need this: http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/transmitter_receiver/powermc2/

and the AC3.

Feb 15, 2016 at 05:09 AM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mini TT1 and Flex. What's the advantage

Mark_L wrote:
Only you can answer that (how important is remote power control to you?) but you will need this: http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/transmitter_receiver/powermc2/

and the AC3.

So with the pcb stuff I won't be able to control the power of the lights is that correct?

Feb 15, 2016 at 11:08 AM
T_Gordon
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mini TT1 and Flex. What's the advantage

skasol wrote:
So with the pcb stuff I won't be able to control the power of the lights is that correct?

You can with their CyberCommander.

Another alternative for the pocket wizards is to get a Sekonic LiteMaster Pro L-478DR-U if you don't already have a light meter. It can trigger the pocket wizards and you can adjust the power with it vice the AC3. Granted it's more expensive but if you don't already have a a light meter it's worth looking into.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1219220-REG/sekonic_401_477_litemaster_pro_l_478dr_u_light.html

Mar 17, 2016 at 09:00 AM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mini TT1 and Flex. What's the advantage

T_Gordon wrote:
You can with their CyberCommander.

Another alternative for the pocket wizards is to get a Sekonic LiteMaster Pro L-478DR-U if you don't already have a light meter. It can trigger the pocket wizards and you can adjust the power with it vice the AC3. Granted it's more expensive but if you don't already have a a light meter it's worth looking into.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1219220-REG/sekonic_401_477_litemaster_pro_l_478dr_u_light.html

Thank you. I have a light meter already and I just sold my mini and tt5 decided to go with Paul c buff commander and their transmitter. Didn't really see a point to using pocketwizard over Paul c buff

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:14 AM
T_Gordon
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mini TT1 and Flex. What's the advantage

skasol wrote:
Thank you. I have a light meter already and I just sold my mini and tt5 decided to go with Paul c buff commander and their transmitter. Didn't really see a point to using pocketwizard over Paul c buff

I'm in the process of swapping from their stuff to the Pocket Wizards mainly for HyperSync. The Buff system can't do it at all. If you stay indoors it's not an issue but the 1/200 is often very limiting when outdoors without tossing in ND filters and sometimes even that doesn't work out well. The other reason is the light meter mentioned before (or even the AC3) is a much easier way of adjusting the Einsteins than the CyberCommander.

Mar 18, 2016 at 04:14 AM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mini TT1 and Flex. What's the advantage

T_Gordon wrote:
I'm in the process of swapping from their stuff to the Pocket Wizards mainly for HyperSync. The Buff system can't do it at all. If you stay indoors it's not an issue but the 1/200 is often very limiting when outdoors without tossing in ND filters and sometimes even that doesn't work out well. The other reason is the light meter mentioned before (or even the AC3) is a much easier way of adjusting the Einsteins than the CyberCommander.

Thank you, definitely something to consider. which lights do you own from Paul? I am using the Einstein

Mar 18, 2016 at 12:34 PM
T_Gordon
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mini TT1 and Flex. What's the advantage

skasol wrote:
Thank you, definitely something to consider. which lights do you own from Paul? I am using the Einstein

I've got Einsteins as well.

Mar 18, 2016 at 12:48 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.