New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Camera Backpack

RBark

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera Backpack

I'm hemming and hawing over getting a backpack for camera gear.

Nothing I've found quite meets my needs, or alternatively since I can't see it in person I can't tell if it will suit my needs or not.

What I would like is a combo backpack. Part for holding camera gear, part for overnight backpacking. So not only does it need an area devoted to camera gear and be easily accessible, it needs to have enough space for lots of water, tents, sleeping bags, and most importantly a hip belt that actually is functional.

Most hip belts I've seen so far are shoddy and more designed to keep the backpack from bouncing than for putting the weight on your hips and off your shoulders.

It's going to hold about 50# maximum since I am an ultralight hiker (or would be, if I wasn't carrying 15# of camera gear ha).

So far I've looked at the following;

LowePro photo sport 300aw:
I felt this had shoddy hip belts with no actual support.

Clik Elite Contrejour 40:
I like this one but would like more feedback if anyone has it.

Then there's the F-Stop stuff which gets pricey at $500 for bag + inner compartment. The hip bet seems problematic on those too unless someone has feedback. I don't like the lack of side access since you'd have to completely take the bag off to access cameras.

I know that there are options for holding the camera outside the bag. I use a Peak Design camera clip and absolutely adore it. I'm looking for something to quickly put it out of the way and not be outside my bag dangling or banging on things.

Any feedback at all would be appreciated. Thank you.

Feb 12, 2016 at 01:15 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera Backpack

Hey RBark,
between here at FM and POTN, this is a ongoing talk/quest./debate/issue, and if you read some of the existing related threads, you will find a lot of useful information.
With that said, and since you seem to be already a hiker/backpacker, your path is to customize your existing pack, and probably add a chest carrier or some other gizmo for the camera itself, if it's important to have access to it at all times.
Nothing beats a proper fitted backpack - but, you'll have to compromise, either with lens wraps, pouches and/or soft cases/inserts/ICU's
Snow packs allow for rear access, but they are not made to carry 50 pounds in comfort , and I believe the largest is 45 liters.
There is a bag that features a bag insert slide in and out from the bottom using the hip belt - thus, having access to camera without removing bag; also not a backpacking bag
F-Stop are made as one size fits all - some fitting issues will arise, and the hip belt is badly placed, as it does not allow for proper weight transfer.
Click and Lowepro are good bags....for short day hikes around the park.

as far as holding the camera outside the bag, it would help if you describe what type of gear you want to carry.
Chest packs are cumbersome, but do the job very well. OTOH, some of the clip designs are not meant for larger rigs i.e. peak design click did not work well for me with a 1DsmkIII and sigma 24-105
Cotton carrier offers hands-free carrying, but it will make you sweat and looks a bit odd completely exposed - like you wearing a bullet vest. There are few copy-cats for less money, but you might be able to remove part of the webbing and attach id directly to backpack's D rings ( I am working on this btw)
You need also to rethink your gear and trips - for instance, carrying an efficient and fast filter vs tons of water if your route has plenty of water sources; ditch the tent for a tarp in the summer months, if no rain is in the forecast.
Ultimately, safety comes first, and then it's toss between comfort and carrying extra camera gear (at least for me)
(I will make it short and stop now, because you will end with a lot of feedback anyway from others with more experience than me)

Feb 12, 2016 at 02:35 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera Backpack

having gone through this similar predicament, i am familiar with this situation. i have had a tarmac backpack before, a kata pack, lowpro dry zone rover and several others in the last 15 years.

you need to decide what is the most important aspect of a bag. is accommodating camera gear the most important thing, or is it comfort or capacity? I have looked at the camera bags (f stop and click elite) and they look decent, and obviously they work for many people.

for me, they don't come close to being a serious contender. I have two packs right now. I have the wonderful REI pinnacle 35 pack (hopefully they bring this back for 2016) and the superb gregory baltoro 75.

the pinnacle i can fit my tent, my 30 degree bag, stove, water filter, pad, and enough clothing and food for 3 days out - plus my camera gear. to be noted, i only have a D600 and 14-24. i use a canvas zippered lunch pail as my soft camera case. I have a pelican for water adventures.

the baltoro will eat enough gear for 7+ days, depending on where i am going.
also, it depends on how compact your camping gear is. If you have a $180 30 degree bag and a $200 tent that is heavy and won't compress smaller than 16L, there won't be much room.

Feb 14, 2016 at 01:30 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera Backpack

I agree with Bacalhau and Dustin, I haven't yet seen any 'crossover' packs (including F-Stop) which comes anywhere close to the comfort of a backpack and with the functionality of a camera pack. Personally I use a Boreas Lost Coast 45L (rear C zip) which is extremely light with some excellent unusual features (my review link with an in-use update is below) and a Gregory Baltoro 85L (rear C zip). I haven't seen any backpack that allows side-access whilst still wearing the pack - there are plenty with back access though (with U, C or J zips) or side access if you take off the pack.

Note that the Boreas has this excellent, very large, front pocket made from some stretchy material. It was an excellent storage repository for my D800E+Tamron 15-30 and that combination could, at a pinch, also fit in the hood pocket (though I most often kept my A7 & 55/1.8 in there).

These locations within the pack are both pretty safe in the event of a fall (I only ever seem to fall on my sides or knees ) though you could also add a neoprene cover to your camera/lens or indeed take a Tupperware box of the right size, cut away one end and file it to make the edges smooth, then slide this into the pocket to use as a camera/lens protector.

BTW I do have camera bags come hiking bags too, a Guru Gear Bataflae 26L and a Chinese pack called Flyleaf FL-336 which is excellent and does in fact have a side opening for quick access without removing the pack - similar to the F-Stops. I've added the link to a comparison I did below.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1366149/0?keyword=Boreas#13021206

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1406052/0?keyword=FlyLeaf#13356548

Feb 16, 2016 at 03:38 AM
jcunwired
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera Backpack

I have a Clik Elite Contrejour 35, it's hands down the best adventure trekking pack I've owned, and very close in comfort to my Osprey and Gregory backpacks. In the past I've owned Lowepro, Tamrac (a close second), and today I use Gura Gear Bataflae 26L when I need to carry lots of gear or airline travel (not very comfortable on the trail), and an F-Stop Guru for day hikes.

I agree with the sentiment above. The F-stop Guru gets tiring after 6-8 miles, depending on weight, and I believe despite being the smallest the straps are no different with those of increased volume. I like it a lot, more versatile than my previous Tamrac Expedition.

The Clik Elite has been used downhill & x-country skiing, trekking on and off-trail, mountain biking and even some climbing. I've had it on multiple overnights and 2-day hikes, and never felt discomfort. It's too bad my back is too damn bad to be doing crazy photo treks anymore, I miss wearing it!

Good luck.

Feb 16, 2016 at 05:34 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.