Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Looking for cheap worm drive rail...

Aaron D
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for cheap worm drive rail...

Something like the Velbon Super Mag or Oben MFR4-5. Is there anything similar for a few $$ cheaper?

I ask, because I wont be using it often. I wont even be using it for macro. Its to fine focus a 500/6.3 fixed aperture lens I have. DOF is paper thin, and very difficult to focus exactly.

Thanks
Aaron

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:16 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for cheap worm drive rail...

Not sure if you've looked there, but there's plenty of similar rails on eBay, for less money. You might want to avoid the cheap Chinese knockoffs, but if you search for either focusing rail or macro rail you'll get plenty of returned results.

The older Minolta focusing rails might suit your needs.

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:30 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for cheap worm drive rail...

Here's one for $55: Minolta focusing rail

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:35 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for cheap worm drive rail...

jancohen wrote:
Not sure if you've looked there, but there's plenty of similar rails on eBay, for less money. You might want to avoid the cheap Chinese knockoffs, but if you search for either focusing rail or macro rail you'll get plenty of returned results.

The older Minolta focusing rails might suit your needs.

Thanks! I was wondering about the old Minolta rails. I apreciate the confirmation!

jancohen wrote:
Here's one for $55: Minolta focusing rail

I started watching that exact one right before I made this thread . Id prefer a "smallish" worm drive, so might just pull the trigger on one of these Minoltas.

Don't know much about these, and really appreciate the input. Having been a machinist and knowing how the play in a standard "rack and pinion" driven rail can have play, Im not too keen on such a rail.

But since you macro guys know from experience, is a worm drive really generally more superior? At 500/6.3, DOF is extremely thin. So thats why Im asking here.

Aaron

Feb 12, 2016 at 01:51 AM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for cheap worm drive rail...

Aaron D wrote:

But since you macro guys know from experience, is a worm drive really generally more superior? At 500/6.3, DOF is extremely thin. So thats why Im asking here.

Actually, if you really want stability, you've got to spend money. What macro guys use for the most part are higher end rails and/or contraptions they build themselves using things like translation stages (search eBay for Newport linear stage), microscope focusing stages cut out of surplus, higher-end microscopes, etc. Some get quite involved, especially when it comes to stacking images that were photographed using microscope objectives and other lenses used in high magnification setups.

That said, whether screw or gear driven, stability in a focusing stage really derives from the sum of its parts, meaning quality parts. There are expensive focusing stages that don't lock down well or don't allow you to focus smoothly, in contrast to some cheaper stages that do a better job of that.

In any event, I mentioned the Minolta stage as an example, I haven't used one myself. Minolta did make fairly good equipment though, so I'm guessing you might be alright with it. Or you can wait until someone who's used one chimes in. Or you could ask in the Macro section here at FM. Somebody there might have experience with the Minolta.

Edited: oops, looks like you were already posting the question to the Macro section.

Feb 12, 2016 at 02:38 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for cheap worm drive rail...

Hi Aaron,

You also might find an old Pentax focus rail (first photo below), but the Contax focus rail (second photo) is the best; not cheap, but worth every penny.

© jcolwell 2016

Pentax focus rail

© jcolwell 2016

Contax focus rail with RRS B2-FAB mini clamp, on 12" Hejnar rail

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:36 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for cheap worm drive rail...

^ +1. Good info, though as said, it can get expensive depending on what you really want/need.

Another link for you, Aaron:

Contax focusing rail

Feb 12, 2016 at 02:16 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for cheap worm drive rail...

That's a really good price for a Contax focus rail. Maybe I need a second one...

Feb 12, 2016 at 02:34 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for cheap worm drive rail...

jcolwell wrote:
That's a really good price for a Contax focus rail. Maybe I need a second one...

There's a finder's fee if you buy it

Feb 12, 2016 at 03:02 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking for cheap worm drive rail...

Thanks a ton Jan. Lots of good info I didnt know about. And Jim, helpful as always!

I like the looks of the Minolta rails and wouldnt hesitate spending $50 for one. They look really well built and sturdy. Same goes for the Pentax Jim posted. Ill look into the Contax rails.

For the time being, I bought a cheap chinese gear type rail, just to be sure this will help with my goal. If it does help, Ill drop $50-60 on a quality rail. Have quite a few marked on ebay.

Aaron

Feb 12, 2016 at 06:29 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking for cheap worm drive rail...

The Contax rail has sold. I didn't do it!*

* Bart S.

Feb 12, 2016 at 07:04 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking for cheap worm drive rail...

jcolwell wrote:
The Contax rail has sold. I didn't do it!*

Yeah, I see that Next time I'll send such listings in a PM instead of posting them publicly.

Was a nice copy of the stage too!

Feb 12, 2016 at 07:45 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking for cheap worm drive rail...

jancohen wrote:
Yeah, I see that Next time I'll send such listings in a PM instead of posting them publicly.

Actually, that was a big thing on FM, a few years ago (probably about ten years ago). People would post a 'helpful' thread about an awesome lens on auction, just because it's an awesome lens, and then the price would run up. Subsequently, the few diligent and quietly-patient watchers that were hoping to make a decent score would be greatly disappointed. I'm not saying that members of the FM Alt forum are solely responsible for the steady increase in Alt lenses over the past ten years, but then I'm not, not saying that.

Feb 12, 2016 at 08:42 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Looking for cheap worm drive rail...

jcolwell wrote:
Actually, that was a big thing on FM, a few years ago (probably about ten years ago). People would post a 'helpful' thread about an awesome lens on auction, just because it's an awesome lens, and then the price would run up.

I wasnt here 10yrs ago, but yes, this can be a problem. Why you think I pm'd you about that 500/5.6 a week ago before making a post Sometimes some of us know better.

Back to topic....I received my el-cheapo rack and pinion macro rail today. Its built solid, but as expected, theres play in-between the gear teeth. This can be adjusted for with the second "tightening" knob, increasing resistance of the rails travel.

Ill wait until my 800/10 arrives and give it a good workout/evaluation with that and the 500/6.3. If it doesnt seem "tight" enough, Ill spend $50-$60 on a worm gear rail.

Aaron

Feb 19, 2016 at 10:56 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.