New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · A Few Images For CC

matsmithphotography
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A Few Images For CC

Hey guys! Here's some recent images, feel free to critique!

Thanks for taking a look

Feb 10, 2016 at 07:11 PM
MN_Migrant
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A Few Images For CC

I’m basing my feedback from the standpoint that this was a paid gig, or a shoot with a model to add to a portfolio. That said, I think this set is generally nice and I’m sure you’ll have a happy client. But, since you asked, I’ll split a few hairs . I noticed a couple of reoccurring nitpicks…

Angle of composition: I think if you’re going to tilt the composition it should be purposeful. #1 looks like it could be straightened and #3 just doesn’t work for me.

Distractions in the frame: Beware of distracting elements that will compete with the model; especially in post when you choose a contrasty edit. For example, the big vent on the building with the slats and the branches on the left in #2. Also, I think the stray hairs in #5 is intentional but the one across the nostril is distracting.

Posing/perspective: #1 and #2 are a super-flattering poses, but #3 and #4 are much less so. Generally I think it is a bad idea to shoot upwards at people as in #3 and #4, unless you shoot wide, or shoot directly from the side.

Obviously, we can’t detect a lot of these details about distractions and composition until afterwards in post and it creates coulda-shoulda-woulda situation. But, hopefully this will provide useful feedback for next time.

Feb 11, 2016 at 09:36 AM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A Few Images For CC

5 is the only one that really works for me.

2 is OK but just feels dead on the left side of the frame, same for the right side of 1.
3 would probably be better without the dutch tilt.
6 feels unnecessarily cluttered

Feb 11, 2016 at 09:41 AM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A Few Images For CC

#5 is excellent. It shows that a classic closeup with pleasing bokeh converted well is still a good recipe for success, especially with such an appealing model. The others seem somewhat contrived but the thing that stood our for me was the color of her leggings. Too much of a conflict with all the reds especially in #1. The metal rectangle is a very strong feature and the left edge runs behind her face. #5 tells me that simple and pure and uncluttered can work very well.

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:11 AM
matsmithphotography
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A Few Images For CC

Good point with the empty space and distracting elements in the frame. As for the tilt on 3, I originally intended to align her arm with a concrete banister that was falling at the same angle. It just didn't work how I had expected so I cropped inwards. Suppose I could have straightened it as well. Are you saying they seem contrived as a negative aspect? If so, what could I try next time to give a less posed vibe to the images?

Thanks all for the replies!

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:28 AM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A Few Images For CC

Contrived, for me, means I tend to see the concept rather than being directly impacted by the image. For example, in the closeup, she is looking right at the camera. Direct, no games. What exactly is she looking at in #4? It is as if she is following instructions to look to the side but for no reason given the elements in the frame. I would suggest if you want to have her look away, to get that particular profile look, have her look at something or someone in the frame. That might be more coherent and less contrived. The same in #2. She looks great at this angle but all I see on the other side of the frame are some twigs. Plus, the vent and the pole come right into view breaking up the negative space. In this setting, I might have found a way to photograph her with more uninterrupted whites to emphasize the dark tones of her outfit and hair and the nice lines of her legs. Simpler. That is what I mean. Hope that helps.

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:49 AM
matsmithphotography
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A Few Images For CC

ah, I see now. Thank you!

Feb 11, 2016 at 08:27 PM
fstop212
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A Few Images For CC

I have to say, I love #1. #5 a close second. The others I would have liked more had she made eye contact with the camera. #6 doesn't really do anything for me. Lighting is nice on all of these.She's a beautiful model. Take more

Feb 12, 2016 at 09:06 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.