New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Hyper Sync Triggers

deterpawson09

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hyper Sync Triggers

Hello fellow Photogs,
I recently learned the difference between HSS ( high speed sync ) and HS ( hyper sync ).
I have used HSS before but never HS. I will be buying a set of triggers and a flash all from Yongnuo. My question for anyone who may know the answer or maybe even direct me to the answer would be appreciated.

1) Trigger yn622n tx
2) Transceiver yn622n-ll
3) Flash yn568ex for Nikon

Camera D7000 with SB700 ( this I have )

Items 1-3 is what I am interested in buying.

Will the above trigger and receiver do HS ?
or
is the ability to do HYPER-SYNC limited to only Phottix Odin Triggers?
Thank you and maybe spring be upon us soon.

Feb 10, 2016 at 04:28 PM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hyper Sync Triggers

It looks like Yongnuo calls it super sync instead of hypersync, but it's basically the same thing. Not sure about the flash, but it appears that item 1 supports super sync plus high-speed sync while item 2 only supports high speed sync (HSS). If the flash doesn't have a receiver built in, you'll need a TX and a RX unit.

Others may have more info. I have PWs so I use hypersync from time to time. No experience with Yongnuo.

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:42 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hyper Sync Triggers

I believe Hypersync is a Pocket Wizard brand name. Phottix calls it ODS and as stated above Yongnuo calls it something else. So there's 3 options for you. Some testing I've seen online was not favorable to the Pocket Wizard's hypersync as far as distance is concerned. The Odin set has excellent reliability at good distances from my experience and from testing I've seen online as well. Haven't personally read anything about the Yongnuo setup.

Feb 11, 2016 at 12:18 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hyper Sync Triggers

I've never had good luck with hypersync. I always get a gradient on the image and less power.

Feb 11, 2016 at 05:43 AM
dmward
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hyper Sync Triggers

First; HyperSync (PW trade name) is a hack that relies on the long tail that a voltage power controlled strobe has when it fires. As power is reduced on the light the tail gets longer and flatter.

Second; High Speed Sync is the term used by speedlite manufacturers to describe a feature they implemented to emulate the "Flat Burn" flash bulbs designed for use with focal plane shutters. Its accomplished by rapidly cycling the output for the duration of the curtain travel across the sensor.

The ability to do the rapid cycling requires an IGBT power control.

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:44 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.