Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              9       10       end

Archive 2016 · Will there really be a 5D4?

Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Will there really be a 5D4?

OK - So please don't slam me on this question. I ask because I am genuinely interested if there is anyone here truly in the know about whether such a beast is on the horizon? I've been lurking on a lot of "which camera should I buy" type threads and see several mentions of waiting for the 5D4 before making such decisions. I have no need to upgrade, honestly, but am curious if the new 5DRs are really the new 5D4s and Canon just hasn't said anything yet? I am quite happy with my 5D3, but if a 5D4 came out with about 30MP and, yeah, better high ISO noise management, I'd consider the jump. There are tons of threads about what everyone would like to see in a 5D4, so no need to kick a dead horse here. I just want to know - are the odds pretty good we'll see one? And no, I don't peruse rumor sites...

Thanks for being good eggs about this question, Canon people!

Feb 10, 2016 at 03:09 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Will there really be a 5D4?

The rumors are out there and reasonably strong. No one who knows more than what the rumors tell us is likely to spill the beans here.

Few think that the 5DsR is the "new 5D," given that its strengths don't match up with the primary strengths of the previous 5D systems.

Dan

Feb 10, 2016 at 03:13 PM
can0nfan2379
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Will there really be a 5D4?

gdanmitchell wrote:
The rumors are out there and reasonably strong. No one who knows more than what the rumors tell us is likely to spill the beans here.

Few think that the 5DsR is the "new 5D," given that its strengths don't match up with the primary strengths of the previous 5D systems.

Dan

^^^^ This.

I'm sure there will be as the 5D3 was/is very popular with wedding/event photogs and just an all-round good body / jack of all trades. I don't see the 5DS/r being the replacement for the do-it-all body.

Feb 10, 2016 at 03:19 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Will there really be a 5D4?

Will there be a 5D4? Yes

Will be be ready by March? That's the big question. If it's not ready by March, we'll most likely see a September launch. At which point I'll wait for mid-2017 to buy at a lower price.

Feb 10, 2016 at 03:32 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Will there really be a 5D4?

Well, it will be exciting to see what it'll look like. I didn't need or want to deal with 50MP, at least not until I upgrade my computer, as temping as it was. Thanks!

Feb 10, 2016 at 03:38 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Will there really be a 5D4?

I don't think we will ever see a 5D Mark IV. I do think we will see a 5DX which will in all but name be the 5D4 but will give a new naming system to the line and provide 2 lines going forward: 5DS(R) and 5DX.

The one line will be the highest MPs possible and the lower FPS and weaker buffer. The other line will be the "jack of all trades" with middle ground MPs, faster FPS and maybe the newer sensor tech??

I do think Canon will get rid of either the S or the R in the Mk II of that line based on sales numbers. Likely will end up just being the R with no LPF like Nikon did with the D810.

Feb 10, 2016 at 03:44 PM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Will there really be a 5D4?

I also fear the 5D4 won't materialize, at least not anytime soon. That is why I caved in and bought the 5DS R a week ago, just after the launch of the (rather disappointing) 1DX II.

Feb 10, 2016 at 04:11 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Will there really be a 5D4?

The demand is there, so Canon marketing would be nuts to blow off a successor to the 5D III. But when it appears, ah, that's the question. At best I would think there might be an announcement six months after the 1DX II hits the marketplace.

Feb 10, 2016 at 04:14 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Will there really be a 5D4?

I see the 5DS line as a one-trick pony. Time will tell if it was a quick attempt to stop the migration to high MP offerings from Nikon and Sony, but I don't personally see any growth in the 5DS line - apart from some hand-me-down tech from a 2-3 year old camera.

Feb 10, 2016 at 04:14 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Will there really be a 5D4?

Eyvind Ness wrote:
I also fear the 5D4 won't materialize, at least not anytime soon. That is why I caved in and bought the 5DS R a week ago, just after the launch of the (rather disappointing) 1DX II.

The 5DSR and the 1DXII are extreme polar opposites in intended use and markets....I can't see how a 5DSR purchase would be spurred by a 1DXII spec sheet....do tell.....

Feb 10, 2016 at 04:19 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Will there really be a 5D4?

hotdog12 wrote:
The demand is there, so Canon marketing would be nuts to blow off a successor to the 5D III. But when it appears, ah, that's the question. At best I would think there might be an announcement six months after the 1DX II hits the marketplace.

If history is any indicator, the 5D3 was announced at the beginning of March 2012 and available at the end of the month. The 1DX had already been announced back in October 2011 but wasn't available till months after the 5D3. So I could still see a release next month of the 5DX. I would guess the 5D3 is a popular wedding camera...would make sense to release it in spring to be ready for the wedding season. Waiting till the fall doesn't 'make much sense. Of course the camera may not be ready and then maybe we won't see it till 2017.

Feb 10, 2016 at 04:22 PM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Will there really be a 5D4?

arbitrage wrote:
The 5DSR and the 1DXII are extreme polar opposites in intended use and markets....I can't see how a 5DSR purchase would be spurred by a 1DXII spec sheet....do tell.....

Haha Apparently they are far apart, but everything is a compromise and personally I was hoping the 1DX2 would have more Mp, and be more quiet, just to mention a couple of points important to me, and perhaps I could settle for smt around 30 Mp and a real world silent mode. Coming from the 5D3 and A7r (2), I'm spoiled by IQ and resolution and could never go back to a body with just 20 Mp now. But of course, that's just me, I'm weird by any standards, I guess

(I do note though, I'm not the only one out there using high-megapixel and slow-ish bodies for birding and wildlife).

Feb 10, 2016 at 04:31 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Will there really be a 5D4?

arbitrage wrote:
I don't think we will ever see a 5D Mark IV. I do think we will see a 5DX which will in all but name be the 5D4 but will give a new naming system to the line and provide 2 lines going forward: 5DS(R) and 5DX....

Bold prediction. We'll have to keep track of this one.

Feb 10, 2016 at 04:57 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Will there really be a 5D4?

Eyvind Ness wrote:
Haha Apparently they are far apart, but everything is a compromise and personally I was hoping the 1DX2 would have more Mp, and be more quiet, just to mention a couple of points important to me, and perhaps I could settle for smt around 30 Mp and a real world silent mode. Coming from the 5D3 and A7r (2), I'm spoiled by IQ and resolution and could never go back to a body with just 20 Mp now. But of course, that's just me, I'm weird by any standards, I guess

(I do note though, I'm not the
...Show more

I"ve been tempted a few times to try the 5DSR for birds also. The 5FPS would be okay for a fair amount of my bird shooting when they are perched or swimming. Having the ability to crop in a lot when needed and get the same pixels as the 7D2 on the subject (and I already crop those files a fair amount), plus the bonus of having all those pixels when you can fill the frame would be great. Who knows, I may still try one this spring especially if I don't get the 1DXII.

Feb 10, 2016 at 06:06 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Will there really be a 5D4?

jcolwell wrote:

You heard it here first....but not really as the name change has been on the rumour sites for a while and I think it makes some sense to have two new 5D lines. There was also a rumour of a low MP 5DC for video (think A7S). However, in recent rumours I haven't seen either the X or the C mentioned, just 5D4.

Feb 10, 2016 at 06:08 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Will there really be a 5D4?

There will be a successor to the 5D3, whether they call it a 5DIV or a 5DX. It will be where Canon places other features not found on the 1DX at the expense of IQ.

So the 5DVI/5DX will have 28-30mpx, the same basic AF system as the 5D3 with a few tweaks, a more pronounced touch screen ala the SL1, more video options, but not as robust as the 1DX2, and a bit faster burst. It might also boast the improved viewfinder with dedicated AF point highlights. Its ISO handling will be just about 1 stop ahead of the 5D3. Unfortunately it won't have wireless, that will continue to be a 6D item.

That is my prediction anyways without looking at any rumor site, etc. This is my list should I ever see a "Love it or List it" show for cameras. That is what it would take for me to list it (my 5D3).

Feb 10, 2016 at 06:09 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Will there really be a 5D4?

I think the biggest problem for Canon is that the D750 is already doing a lot for $2000. They're going to have to up the ante quite a bit to justify a $3499 price tag like the initial 5D3.

Feb 10, 2016 at 06:36 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Will there really be a 5D4?

jcolwell wrote:

arbitrage wrote:
... There was also a rumour of a low MP 5DC for video (think A7S).

Fifty Shades of Sony.

Feb 10, 2016 at 06:41 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Will there really be a 5D4?

Sharona wrote:
And no, I don't peruse rumor sites...

Yet here you are asking here.

Feb 10, 2016 at 06:42 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Will there really be a 5D4?

ggreene wrote:
I think the biggest problem for Canon is that the D750 is already doing a lot for $2000. They're going to have to up the ante quite a bit to justify a $3499 price tag like the initial 5D3.

Not to knock on the D750, but it does hold back some features that are found in the D810 (the body Nikon wants you to think competes directly with the 5D III). The reality is that you'd have to have both bodies in order to have the capabilities of the 5D III, sensors notwithstanding.

That also means that Canon could easily keep to the 5D III formula, tweaked a little, and easily maintain market lead in the segment.

Feb 10, 2016 at 06:58 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.