New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · need a new light stand / boom arm

Mark_EL
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · need a new light stand / boom arm

I'm looking for a new light stand with boom arm for outdoor use. I want to be able to safely use an Elinchrom Quadra head with modifiers like a 100cm Deep octa or an Elinchrom 44cm beauty dish, possibly with grid. I was thinking about a Manfrotto 420B. Would this be a good choice or would you have better suggestions? I need it to be portable as I don't want to haul around with C-stands for example. (I own a couple of C-Stands and absolutely love them as long as I keep them in my studio)

Feb 10, 2016 at 02:44 PM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · need a new light stand / boom arm

My thought is that you have it backwards. I would use the C-stand with a grip and extension arm outdoors and the Manfrotto in the studio where there is no wind. A modifier and Quadra head are going to take you close to the max rated load of the boom at full extension (4.5 lbs). Add a gust of wind and you have an expensive mistake and lost production time.

The spec says the weight of the Manfrotto is 6 lbs. Add the necessary 4-5 lbs sandbag and you have a 10 - 11 lbs stand and boom. An Avenger C-stand with a 40" arm and grip is about 14 lbs. You're saving 3 lbs and giving up a lot of reliability.

Feb 11, 2016 at 07:57 AM
Mark_EL
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · need a new light stand / boom arm

On one hand I totally agree with you. The thing is, I sometimes have to carry the stand for longer distances (shoots in the woods which I can't reach by car) and the way the feet of C-stands are folded it's just too cumbersome to carry. I'd rather have a stand which folds into a more compact package which can be stuffed away in a light stand bag...

So it's basically more about the way its folded in than the actual weight of it. Besides that, I figured that the footprint of most C-Stands are actually smaller then a large light stand. And a large footprint seems better to me when used with a boom arm?

Feb 11, 2016 at 04:43 PM
Kisutch
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · need a new light stand / boom arm

I bring C stands into woods all the time, not as easy as strapping a compact light stand to a backpack, but when you need stability/control its worth it and stomping the turtle base into soft ground makes it real stable on uneven ground--way better than ground spikes. If there are trees around, a magic arm with a super clamp or wall plate/baby receiver (strap or screw to tree) works real well. Traditional light stands sorta suck on non-flat terrain.

Feb 12, 2016 at 02:02 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · need a new light stand / boom arm

Mark_EL wrote:
I'd rather have a stand which folds into a more compact package which can be stuffed away in a light stand bag...

So it's basically more about the way its folded in than the actual weight of it. Besides that, I figured that the footprint of most C-Stands are actually smaller then a large light stand. And a large footprint seems better to me when used with a boom arm?

You express contradictory notions of a suitable boom stand: either one that can be stuffed away in a bag, or one that is a large light stand. Regardless of mobility requirements, you must sum the planned payload weight (light+modifier), double it for the counterweight, then add the boom. This total weight must be supportable by the (steel) stand. All this stuff (and possibly sandbags or ground stakes) is what you will carry on your back. Meanwhile, the use of trees is a time-honored method to mount your lights, and purpose-made gear is available. Carrying a safe and effective boom into the woods does not sound practical unless your have a crew.

Feb 12, 2016 at 07:39 PM
Mark_EL
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · need a new light stand / boom arm

lack of a crew is basically the reason why I need a boom arm If and when I have an extra pair of hands available I'd give those hands a "hand boom arm" to hold.

The idea of stomping the turtle base into soft ground is something I have not thought about before. Mounting a strobe to a tree would also be an option sometimes, however the area where I sometimes to shoot is more of a moor then and actual forrest. So there's not alway a high and strong enough tree around.

Oh well.. perhaps I need to rethink about using C-stands again. My current C-Stands are two of these which are perfect for in my small studio (holding diffusers etc) but the max height is only 245cm....

Feb 13, 2016 at 04:59 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · need a new light stand / boom arm

Mark_EL wrote:
I'm looking for a new light stand with boom arm for outdoor use. I want to be able to safely use an Elinchrom Quadra head with modifiers like a 100cm Deep octa or an Elinchrom 44cm beauty dish, possibly with grid. I was thinking about a Manfrotto 420B. Would this be a good choice or would you have better suggestions? I need it to be portable as I don't want to haul around with C-stands for example. (I own a couple of C-Stands and absolutely love them as long as I keep them in my studio)

I use the Manfrotto 420B with the Quadra and 100cm Deep Octa. It's fine for indoor applications. I would be more nervous about it outside if there is wind. Indoors I can usually sufficiently counterweight it by hanging the pack on the stand, though usually I use a ~2kg Manfrotto boom counterweight attached to the base of the stand. One or two of these outside should help a lot, but of course is more to carry.

Because the stand is convertible into a boom, it's a bit of a compromise. You won't get the maximum height of your linked C-stand, but for typical people photos, I find it is high enough. I rarely use the boom at full extension. Rather, it's useful to get the stand out of the frame.

Also, with the Quadra and Deep Octa on the boom, sometimes I've found I really have to tighten the swivel point a great deal to keep it from drifting. This might pose some challenges if wind is also exerting force on the Deep Octa.

In any case, I think it can work. It won't be perfect and you will need to find a suitable counterweight solution.

Feb 15, 2016 at 02:26 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.