Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Rules & Guidelines | Uninsured Payment Alert!
How to post Feedback | How to Red-Flag a thread

NEVER use Paypal Gift, Venmo, Zelle, Apple Pay, Google Pay or any other uninsured payment!

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · FS: Canon Mount Sigma 1000mm F8 APO (not a mirror lens)

FaulknersFoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · FS: Canon Mount Sigma 1000mm F8 APO (not a mirror lens)

Item updated in the last 24 hours    Sigma 1000mm F8 APO

Available

Price: $800.00
Payment method: PayPal
Item condition: 6 Useable, but has considerable optical or mechanical imperfections

This lens is old lens that most people have never seen or heard of, which means you will get some interesting looks and questions when using it. The lens comes with the case and an EdMika rear cap only (it does NOT have a hood or front cap). While the optics are in perfect condition, this lens is listed at a six for two reasons.

1) Aesthetically, this lens is not pleasing. The Paint is bubbling and the outside of the lens shows a lot of wear and tear, though there are no signs of drops dents, or dings, just some scratching from use here and there. The case is fine on the exterior, but the interior foam on the lid is starting to degrade. As such, it's not pretty.

2) Functionally, this lens is far from perfect. It is an old sigma that predates digital cameras and was never rechipped. As such, you can only shoot this lens wide open on current cameras. Luckily, the lens reports itself at f5.6 to cameras so that all canon cameras will use the AF on this lens. The AF motor sounds bad and is, in all likelihood, dying. Because this lens is so rare, replacement parts are impossible to find (though I believe it shares many parts with Sigma's 800 5.6). That means that it will be even more difficult to use this lens for sports (though it makes a great remote from outfield) or birds in flight.

When used correctly, this lens can produce sharp results, but it takes quite a bit of use to master it. I am doing my best to be as transparent as possible about the flaws this lens has, though I may have missed something. As such if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I will try and get a few more recent sample photos up shortly. I am selling this lens because I bought an old original 400 2.8 non-IS and no longer shoot with this lens and need to fund camera upgrades.

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:34 AM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · FS: Canon Mount Sigma 1000mm F8 APO (not a mirror lens)

Wow! What a beauty! This is a new one to me, so thanks for sharing.

If what Ive seen is correct, these were about $6000 USD when new, around 1992.

Just for comparison, a typical 90mm diameter refracting telescope, is around 900mm f/10. This lens probably offers much better photo quality than even a modern telescope like I mentioned above.

Would love to give this a home, but just cant right now. GLWS

Feb 11, 2016 at 05:17 PM
FaulknersFoto

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · FS: Canon Mount Sigma 1000mm F8 APO (not a mirror lens)

Willing to accept trade offers as well on this item!

Feb 15, 2016 at 06:29 PM

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.