New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · D810 and moire

NYCPhotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D810 and moire

Basically SOOC other than maybe touching the exposure a smidgen. I can't even remember doing that.

Just read the thread bout why someone shouldn't buy the D810 and some hints about moire was a drawback. I remember the warning of the D800E without the AA filter and the moire it could cause and I disregarded that camera because of it. I just remembered about the same warning with the D810 and lined patterns. I had recently taken some portraits with horizontal lines galore. And, well, there's no moire.

Feb 10, 2016 at 08:30 AM
Chris Court
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D810 and moire

I found moire for the first time in 3 years in a shot from my D800e last week. It showed up in the feathers of a hawk … one of the classic scenarios for it to make an appearance.

Haven't run it through Lightroom yet, but I imagine it should clean right up with the moire removal brush.

C

Feb 10, 2016 at 09:49 AM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D810 and moire

I saw moire on bird feathers the very first time out with my D810 and have seen it many times since. But it's never been anything I've worried about -- the D810's IQ is just so good.

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:32 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D810 and moire

You can sometimes force it to happen under ideal (for moire) circumstances but it's pretty well known that moire with the D800E/D810 is simply a non issue. I've literally never seen it once in thousands of images, many of which have tight patterns. The high resolution helps hide it even more. Even if you are unlucky enough to see it, simply changing your angle slightly can eliminate it. 99% of the time it's a complete non issue and you can usually remove it in post. Nothing to worry about

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:51 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D810 and moire

Diavolo wrote:
Basically SOOC other than maybe touching the exposure a smidgen. I can't even remember doing that.

http://i.imgur.com/vePzrVG.jpg

Just read the thread bout why someone shouldn't buy the D810 and some hints about moire was a drawback. I remember the warning of the D800E without the AA filter and the moire it could cause and I disregarded that camera because of it. I just remembered about the same warning with the D810 and lined patterns. I had recently taken some portraits with horizontal lines galore. And, well, there's no moire.

You need much much finer details to get moire with 36MP. I've had it with the weave of a cotton t-shirt and also ladies tights with sharp lenses and medium apertures - it seriously has to be that fine at the right distance which is why it is such a non-issue and nikon released the D810 without the AA filter.

If it was a problem, rest assured the entire interwebs would blow up and be out with their pitchforks. I get way way more moire with my AA filtered 12MP fuji X100. The 5DmkII also had more.

I'm sure someone will now comment about 'false detail'...

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:30 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D810 and moire

^ This and this.

Moire is old news, old business. No way the 810 would have been released as a stand alone without AA if there was any meaningful issue.

But I still advise clients to wear solids...

I am such a wimp.

Feb 10, 2016 at 12:56 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D810 and moire

I owned the D800, then the D800E and now the D810 and I have seen it occur on a few occassions with both cameras and it comes down to a number of things. Firstly, it obviously depends on the subject, but fine detail like clothing, or feathers on a bird, may induce moire. Secondly, the sharper the lens the more likely you will see moire on the above subject matter - in other words, a less sharp lens acts like a quasi AA filter. My 400 f2.8E shows up moire more than any other of my lenses - even though it is still quite rare to get moire. So, even if you need to remove moire post process, it probably won't look worse than if you used a crappy lens, but it will only affect the spot that you apply moire correction rather than the whole image. Thirdly, the more Mp that a sensor has, the less reliance there is to have an AA filter as there is less fine detail that occurs anywhere where it can be an issue. In other words, the very reason that the D700 had an AA filter was because details like an office block tower with small windows off in the distance would show moire very easily if there was no AA filter. Even then, I have seen moire more on my D700 than I ever have on my D810 - usually an office block tower in the distance, a fence in the distance or whatever.

Now, having shot possibly about 20,000 with the D800, then possibly another 40-50,000 images with both the D800E and D810, I would still opt for the D810 (or D800E) over the D800 even though there is the slightest higher chance that there will be moire. The extra detail afforded by the D800E and D810 more than compensates for the slight possibility of moire.

Feb 10, 2016 at 04:26 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.