New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · 300 PF VR with tubes

philshoots
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 300 PF VR with tubes

I'd like to use the 300 PF VR with extension tubes but need to be able to control aperture. The lens is electronic aperture only wondering if the collective wisdom here might know who offers tubes with the built in contacts or a work round for app control?

Thanks,
Phil

Feb 09, 2016 at 10:20 AM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 300 PF VR with tubes

PS:

Querried Nikon waiting to hear back. As well as Vello - at a glance they might be the only non OEM to have a set with the approprate contacts for AF but waiting to hear from them if they will control EF.

Feb 09, 2016 at 11:10 AM
wizzard0003

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 300 PF VR with tubes

I'd go with Kenko if it were me...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/375238-REG/Kenko_AEXTUBEDGN_Auto_Extension_Tube_Set.html

Feb 09, 2016 at 11:17 AM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 300 PF VR with tubes

I was told that since the Kenkos only have 7 contacts they will not control exposure. The Vello have 8 - hoping the extra one addresses the electronic aperture. Would be good if Nikon would offer one for their own.... one with 11! Future proof!

Feb 09, 2016 at 11:24 AM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 300 PF VR with tubes

The Nikon tubes though manual are built like tanks. The newer after maket brands often have less rigid build tolerances that lead to play and contact issues. Interested to hear back from Nikon on why they aren't producing accessories for their own lenses. Good discussion here:

http:/ /http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/forums/thread49518.htm

Feb 09, 2016 at 11:51 AM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 300 PF VR with tubes

The Vello tubes work- thanks to Patrick at B&H for test confirmation. They appear to be the only option at this time.

Phil

Feb 09, 2016 at 08:33 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 300 PF VR with tubes

I just tried it with my Kenko tubes and it works.

Feb 10, 2016 at 03:15 AM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 300 PF VR with tubes

That's good news, confusing but good, was told they would not, needed a sure thing and didn't have the lens/body combo to hand. Tele macro isn't that mainstream and B&H wasn't sure so they kindly put them together to test the combo. After your feedback it's too bad both weren't tested. A bit of a head scratcher but if it works great news. Thanks for your response and best wishes for your shooting.
Phil

Feb 10, 2016 at 08:37 AM
Cheryle Sytsma
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 300 PF VR with tubes

Would like to see some of your pictures from this...

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:54 AM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 300 PF VR with tubes

A useful beetography set-up. Looking forward to using it in the Spring.

Birdie a very skilled FM shooter produces outstanding results with a similar rig. I've been using a 280 APO Leica but after a nerve/elbow Op looking forward to the 300 PF due to its extreme light weight [1.6 lbs]. An example of the APO is here- https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/895186/320#12531764

Phil

Feb 10, 2016 at 01:02 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 300 PF VR with tubes

Phil, thanks for the kind words

I have used the Kenko tubes without any issues on my D810. However, they can be a bit loose especially if using the 36mm tube.

How are you enjoying the 300 f/4 PF? I, too, am waiting for the bug season to begin so, I can try it out with the 300 f/4 PF.

Birdie

Feb 10, 2016 at 01:23 PM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 300 PF VR with tubes

Hi Roberta, great to hear form you, I've been out of action with a wonkie arm. But all healed and ready for a new season of shooting.

Haven't even seen the lens, I'm on the East Coast waiting for it to come in from Montana tomorrow, the body is at home in Wales and the tubes are coming in from NY/BnH! It will all come together soon.

Love the quality of the D800/810 cameras so I'm very much looking forward to pairing up the 300/4 PF. Had some nice results from the 135/2 CZ APO with a tube for Bumbles. But for smaller chaps like Honey bees and solitary bees I'm thinking the 300/4 should be v good - I'm sure my arm will appreciate the weight saving. Trust your wing is fully healed. Always a pleasure to see your gifted work thanks for the note.

Till soon,
Phil

Feb 10, 2016 at 01:44 PM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 300 PF VR with tubes

philshoots wrote:
Love the quality of the D800/810 cameras so I'm very much looking forward to pairing up the 300/4 PF. Had some nice results from the 135/2 CZ APO with a tube for Bumbles. But for smaller chaps like Honey bees and solitary bees I'm thinking the 300/4 should be v good - I'm sure my arm will appreciate the weight saving.

I'm interested to hear if the VR is of any use for such closeup shots (especially with additional extension ring). I'm very interested in the 300PF for flying dragonflies, not only because of the weight savings over my current Canon gear (much easier to hold / carry for a long time) but also because such a small/light combo is easier to move for quickly pointing at or tracking a fast moving subject.

I'm still unsure which body to use, either D750 or D500 because the D810 is a bit too big/heavy for my taste and I really want a tilt screen. With the D750 I would probably add the 1.4x TC. Waiting for first D500 user reports to decide, and to see if there is a better fix possible for the 300PF VR woes with the D750...

Feb 10, 2016 at 04:57 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 300 PF VR with tubes

Phil, sorry to hear about your injury, but glad you are now better. Looking forward to the magic you work with the new gear.

Birdie

technic wrote:
I'm interested to hear if the VR is of any use for such closeup shots (especially with additional extension ring). I'm very interested in the 300PF for flying dragonflies, not only because of the weight savings over my current Canon gear (much easier to hold / carry for a long time) but also because such a small/light combo is easier to move for quickly pointing at or tracking a fast moving subject.

I'm still unsure which body to use, either D750 or D500 because the D810 is a bit too big/heavy for my taste and I really want a tilt
...Show more

I usually leave the VR on , most of the time in sport mode. Here is an example with the 12mm extension tube.

Feb 10, 2016 at 05:27 PM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 300 PF VR with tubes

Bee u tee ful Birdie!
I'm not sure what difference VR will make at the shutter speeds usually favored for BIFs [bugs in flight]. I'm usually shooting above 1/1000 and not with IS or VR. On my Canon teles I shut off IS at these speeds. No experience with the Nikon VR system, thanks for the tip Birdie. Your images speak for themselves. 👍

Feb 10, 2016 at 08:16 PM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 300 PF VR with tubes

On a side note Marshal Lewis from Bozeman Camera contacted me - he tried a d810 / 300 PF / Kenko combo and could get AF but not aperture control. Go figure.

Feb 10, 2016 at 08:34 PM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 300 PF VR with tubes

philshoots wrote:
Bee u tee ful Birdie!
I'm not sure what difference VR will make at the shutter speeds usually favored for BIFs [bugs in flight]. I'm usually shooting above 1/1000 and not with IS or VR. On my Canon teles I shut off IS at these speeds. No experience with the Nikon VR system, thanks for the tip Birdie. Your images speak for themselves. 👍

Yes, I also use my Canon gear with IS off for bugs in flight and with shutter speeds above 1/800 or so. But this is also because my 4/300IS has an older IS system that doesn't work well with fast moving subjects. The sports mode of the Nikon lens could be interesting (similar to mode 3 on recent Canons?).

With extension ring added (= lower light level) or in less than ideal light it would be nice if you can use shutter speeds in the 1/200-1/800 range without camera shake (keeping decent ISO value and maybe enhancing wing motion).

Feb 11, 2016 at 06:03 AM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 300 PF VR with tubes

It will be interesting to see how that plays out. Normally without IS or employing manual glass I prefer 1/1000 as a starting point to get crisp focus on the main body of most little speed demons in flight, subject dependant. And as magnification goes up shutter speed needs to follow. With a 300mm focal length lens with tubes I'm usually shooting above 1/1000 if I have the light -with this focal length macro setup higher. @ 200-300mm I don't see wings freeze until 1/5000 ish. Much of the challenge is just getting them in frame and focused however briefly with the limited angle of view a Tele provides. Tracking is a real test with thousands of rejects - for me anyway! They'll keep you on your photo toes 😉
Like you I'm interested what VR can bring to the party and look forward to learning.

Feb 11, 2016 at 08:03 AM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 300 PF VR with tubes

birdied wrote:
Phil, sorry to hear about your injury, but glad you are now better. Looking forward to the magic you work with the new gear.

Birdie

I usually leave the VR on , most of the time in sport mode. Here is an example with the 12mm extension tube.

was this lit with any off camera flash at all? what time of day was this taken. its a beautiful shot

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:23 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 300 PF VR with tubes

was this lit with any off camera flash at all? what time of day was this taken. its a beautiful shot

Yes, was using the SB910 diffused with the plastic diffuser and an Optech Soft Box on top of that . According to the exif data it was taken in October 2015 at 10:30AM. This portion of the garden at time of the morning would have shaded light . Hope this helps.

Birdie

Feb 11, 2016 at 03:54 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.