Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Anyone that has or had the 200-500 and don't like it?

fj777

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Anyone that has or had the 200-500 and don't like it?

The only thing I dislike about mine is the zoom ring, it's so wide and takes a couple of turns to go from 200mm to 500mm or back.

Feb 09, 2016 at 01:09 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Anyone that has or had the 200-500 and don't like it?

fj777 wrote:
The only thing I dislike about mine is the zoom ring, it's so wide and takes a couple of turns to go from 200mm to 500mm or back.

That is still easier and faster than changing primes. And a lot of people complained about the Canon push-pull, so I guess you can't please everyone all of the time.

Feb 09, 2016 at 01:26 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Anyone that has or had the 200-500 and don't like it?

Imagemaster wrote:
That is still easier and faster than changing primes. And a lot of people complained about the Canon push-pull, so I guess you can't please everyone all of the time.

I have to agree with you 100% on that. However, I thought you were an advocate for the f/5.6 primes because they would be smaller, lighter, faster AF, etc. Or has the 200-500 change your mind on that?

Feb 09, 2016 at 02:14 PM
fj777

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Anyone that has or had the 200-500 and don't like it?

Imagemaster wrote:

I was with Canon for a few years before I came back to Nikon, I had the 100-400 and I liked the push-pull. I am not unhappy with my 200-500, just saying I think the zoom ring is awkward because of its width. Apart from that I like the lens very much, the IQ is good and it's a bargain price.

Feb 10, 2016 at 06:53 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Anyone that has or had the 200-500 and don't like it?

While I didn't mind push pull of old Canon 100-400 v1, I much prefer twist zooms in general. Love the Sigma 150-600C and new 100-400L v2.

Feb 10, 2016 at 07:52 AM
TightLines
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Anyone that has or had the 200-500 and don't like it?

ckcarr wrote:
I don't like the lens hood.

I have the 150-600mm Sigma Sport coming today, and will decide then, when I can personally compare the two. From everything I've read, and watched on YouTube, the lenses are so close it becomes focal length (both ends), fixed aperture, and build quality. Sight unseen, I'm leaning toward the extra reach of the Sigma Sport especially since I already have a Nikon 80-400... But who knows, I might keep both.

Also interested in your findings here.

Feb 10, 2016 at 09:41 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Anyone that has or had the 200-500 and don't like it?

I find the auto focus very adequate. Of course it is not as quick as the exotic primes.

I wanted to try and test the auto focus on the very quick and unpredictable swallows. These shots were not up close to show detail, but mainly to test focus. There were some misses, but that could have been my inability to keep up with these little speedsters . On occasion I would have to hit the focus ring to help the lens, again this could have just been me not keeping up.

Considering how fast, small and far away these little ones were, I have no complaints about how the auto focus preformed. The swallow shots are very heavy crops 75 to 100% as I was not close at all.

Birdie

One not as fast as the swallows and a bit closer with 1.4III TC

Feb 10, 2016 at 03:12 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Anyone that has or had the 200-500 and don't like it?

Nice Birdie! Anyone who thinks the AF is slow, can't shoot.
Best testimony I can give re: the 200-500?? I'll be buying another one
(as soon as my 500 f4 VR is paid off) I have the Sig Sport 150-600 too
and there's definitely a place for both. I don't shoot BIF for my health...
sales matter. This sucker rocks when da 'monkey wants to go light.

Feb 10, 2016 at 04:43 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.