Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Rules & Guidelines | Uninsured Payment Alert!
How to post Feedback | How to Red-Flag a thread

NEVER use Paypal Gift, Venmo, Zelle, Apple Pay, Google Pay or any other uninsured payment!

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Seller Request: Fuji Sony Canon Nikon Olympus Panasonic Leica Zeiss

cputeq
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Seller Request: Fuji Sony Canon Nikon Olympus Panasonic Leica Zeiss

A small favor to ask

Price: $1.00
Payment method: PayPal
Item condition: 10 Preowned equipment, but appears as new
Shipping instructions: Delivered via Forum Post

I think we've got a great buy/sell community here at FM, and I'm asking a small favor to help it stay that way.

Listers: Please help yourself as well as your fellow sellers and buyers -- if you sell one of your items and mark it as sold, please also edit your B&S title so that people using the search function (or just browsing) don't get false positives from your thread title being out of date.

I'm guilty of this too on rare occasion, so it's like not I'm Mr. Perfect either

Thanks for reading and your time :-)

I know I listed this tip as $1, but it comes with an instant $1 rebate!

Feb 08, 2016 at 09:37 PM
zaujong
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Seller Request: Fuji Sony Canon Nikon Olympus Panasonic Leica Zeiss

Thank you ... I have a couple that were sold. What should the title be changed too? Do we add the word SOLD?

Feb 08, 2016 at 10:34 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Seller Request: Fuji Sony Canon Nikon Olympus Panasonic Leica Zeiss

zaujong wrote:
Thank you ... I have a couple that were sold. What should the title be changed too? Do we add the word SOLD?

I guess that depends on how one uses the B&S function, because there are several ways this could work (the following are just my opinions for best practices and not necessarily "the best" way to do things).

Let's say I have 3 items to sell - Canon 5D3, 100-400 and a 50/1.2

I could title the post "FS: Canon 5D3, 100-400, 50/1.2" and either

A) List all 3 items under the "Item 1" box (just typing out the text of what's for sale and updating it all manually)

or

B) List each item separately (5D3 as Item 1, 100-400 as Item 2, etc. all with their own price entries and sales statuses).

Regardless of how I listed the items, it really helps searchers of gear if, after I sell the 5D3, I edit my post's title to "Canon 100-400, 50/1.2" and remove the "5D3" text from the title itself.

That way, someone searching (or browsing) for a 5D3 won't see my title post "Canon 5D3, 100-400, 50/1.2" , only to see I've sold the 5D3. I believe the "search" function in FM only searches thread titles, not the individual items in a post.

Marking it "sold" manually (via a text in the post) or using the item function of marking it sold (if the 5D3 was listed separately as 'Item 1') actually is less important (for searchers) than updating the actual title of the post.

Of course, if you're only selling one item, just mark it as "Sold" using the forum function and FM takes care of itself in that regard --- but if you're selling 3 items, and you mark Item 1 as sold using the function, your title should still be updated because unfortunately that's not automatic.

--- Those are my takes, open to more efficient suggestions (or easier ways of explaining it).

Feb 08, 2016 at 11:58 PM
tomrock
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Seller Request: Fuji Sony Canon Nikon Olympus Panasonic Leica Zeiss

Doesn't editing the title of the post make a mess of the feedback? For example, in the picture below someone is giving feedback for a grip and the title is for a lens :-)

Feb 09, 2016 at 02:09 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Seller Request: Fuji Sony Canon Nikon Olympus Panasonic Leica Zeiss

tomrock wrote:
Doesn't editing the title of the post make a mess of the feedback? For example, in the picture below someone is giving feedback for a grip and the title is for a lens :-)

Good point. I guess I've always ignored this discrepancy because I realize many of us do edit our post titles as thing sell so someone commenting on an item that isn't reflected by the title isn't a 'flag' or problem to me.
Besides, I believe one can look at the sales thread version history to see how things transpired

Feb 09, 2016 at 02:34 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Seller Request: Fuji Sony Canon Nikon Olympus Panasonic Leica Zeiss

And how about shipping promptly, communicating after the sale, and giving the buyer a rating? I recently bought a lens from someone with with 89 great feedback. Before the sale great communication. After I sent the money via PayPal nothing. After 5 days I messeged asking for a shipping date, received an answer saying it was going out that day. Actually received at post office two days later. Lens finally arrived and was fine. But still no answer to messages asking for a rating.

It makes one wary of believing in the rating system.

Feb 09, 2016 at 02:53 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Seller Request: Fuji Sony Canon Nikon Olympus Panasonic Leica Zeiss

Norm Shapiro wrote:
And how about shipping promptly, communicating after the sale, and giving the buyer a rating? I recently bought a lens from someone with with 89 great feedback. Before the sale great communication. After I sent the money via PayPal nothing. After 5 days I messeged asking for a shipping date, received an answer saying it was going out that day. Actually received at post office two days later. Lens finally arrived and was fine. But still no answer to messages asking for a rating.

It makes one wary of believing in the rating system.

Well this is a bit out of scope for the subject of my initial post, but I do think it's important. Of course, the things you mention are vital to successful transactions. But, I also would remind everyone that we are all human, and prone to mistakes or delays, etc.

I once ordered gear here and just like your example, initial communication was great. After some time though I asked about the item shipping (nicely) though I was getting impatient. Turns out the seller had come down with a fierce cold and was basically out of commission for a few days. He was very apologetic and shipped the items the next day...but told him no rush, as I completely understand that "life happens" sometimes. Sucked for me getting the stuff "late", but then again I'd appreciate the patience were the tables reversed...Golden Rule is a pretty good one

I'm not trying to discount your experience, but we should all remember we're all human and a little patience goes a long way. You can always offer a neutral feedback to the seller if you feel the transaction wasn't very pleasant, though it might help to communicate this to him/her.

Feb 09, 2016 at 05:33 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Seller Request: Fuji Sony Canon Nikon Olympus Panasonic Leica Zeiss

Actually I had the same thought that possibly the seller had some sort of problem. I remained civil in all my messages and have not had a message since the one claiming it was going out that day. I'd rather not give a negative feedback, partially because the lens was fine, and perhaps there is an explanation.

My comments were partially to vent and to advise others that this B&S forum like other similar ones always have a degree of risk.

Feb 09, 2016 at 09:03 PM
tomrock
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Seller Request: Fuji Sony Canon Nikon Olympus Panasonic Leica Zeiss

Good point. I guess I've always ignored this discrepancy because I realize many of us do edit our post titles as thing sell so someone commenting on an item that isn't reflected by the title isn't a 'flag' or problem to me.
Besides, I believe one can look at the sales thread version history to see how things transpired

Sure, we could dig into threads and look at previous versions and that would work although I frequently see feedback as simple as "great transaction".

But another solution is to list one item per thread and then to mark the thread as "sold" when you actually sell.

Just a thought :-)

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:15 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Seller Request: Fuji Sony Canon Nikon Olympus Panasonic Leica Zeiss

Changing the title to remove item(s) sold would eliminate the ability to search historical prices...unless the seller restored the original title once all the items have sold.

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:50 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Seller Request: Fuji Sony Canon Nikon Olympus Panasonic Leica Zeiss

snapsy wrote:
Changing the title to remove item(s) sold would eliminate the ability to search historical prices...unless the seller restored the original title once all the items have sold.

Good point, but I believe the Forum automatically removes the original price listing once the item is marked sold. I might be very wrong on this, though -- I can't remember.

I do know, though, that it's quite common to try to find a historical price and it's marked as "$1.00" or "SOLD" instead of the original price listing, I'm not sure if people are doing that manually or if the Forum does it when you flag the item sold.

I like the idea of just one item per post, but the problem with that is the lockout timer on posting to B&S (or has that been removed?)

I bet it's possible to make an "auto" forum thread title that changes dynamically as things are marked flagged (or allows custom text) - probably not worth the hassle, but would be cool

Feb 10, 2016 at 01:25 PM

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.