New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Need compact Air Cushioned Light Stands for location work

Josef Isayo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need compact Air Cushioned Light Stands for location work

These stands would be used with my Profoto B2 strobes on location. Currently looking at the Manfrotto and Profoto line. Any other recommendations would be appreciate it.

Feb 08, 2016 at 09:27 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need compact Air Cushioned Light Stands for location work

I like to use the Manfrotto Avenger (non-aircushioned) with the B1, B2, and Acute 2 B600. They do have an aircushioned stand as well, but with the B2, or Acute heads it really isn't that necessary. The Manfrotto Avenger has larger knobs which is nice to hang the B2 case from to weight it down.

Edited on Feb 10, 2016 at 08:02 PM · View previous versions

Feb 08, 2016 at 10:15 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need compact Air Cushioned Light Stands for location work

After more than 30 years with various lighting gear, an air cushioned light stand is not necessary. What is necessary is proper grip technique, one hand on the stand above the clamp, one hand on the clamp release. I have never had a light slam down the stand by not tightening the clamp.

For the record, I have Manfrotto Art. 004 Master stands, most of which are 28 years old. My Boom stands and background stands, all of which are not air cushioned are about the same vintage. So do it right the first time and they should last you a career.

Feb 10, 2016 at 02:40 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need compact Air Cushioned Light Stands for location work

Air-cushioning slows setup and teardown needlessly. My grip technique is holding the riser from under the clamp being loosened. Nothing like placing a body part in harm's way to heighten your concentration. But seriously, paying continuous attention around your support is a vital safety element for you and your talent. I haven't dropped my payload or cracked any skulls (yet).

Feb 10, 2016 at 05:59 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.